Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken hood latch handle repair option

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Broken hood latch handle repair option

Broke the handle off the hood latch inside the car. I know you can replace the whole cable but came across this instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUBWXGA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUBWXGA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just chisel off a little plastic and this lever just screws on. Saves a lot of time.

Just thought I would share, I know it's a little thing, but sometimes little things matter.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: Broken hood latch handle repair option

Interesting find. I wonder how well the "set screw" holds the handle in place over the long term?
Old 08-06-2020, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Icon7 Re: Broken hood latch handle repair option

Originally Posted by 99stockcivic
Broke the handle off the hood latch inside the car. I know you can replace the whole cable but came across this instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just chisel off a little plastic and this lever just screws on. Saves a lot of time.

Just thought I would share, I know it's a little thing, but sometimes little things matter.
hey you're my hero! I didn't even know this existed out there, but thinking of the fix, it's insanely simple! Yup mine has been broken for awhile, using the pliers to pull on that stump! I've been busy lately and haven't replaced the entire hood latch cable even though I already have a honda one ready to go! But this replacement fix you found is awesome! Thanks for posting this up. Going to be ordering one tonight.

edit: I actually ordered another brand that had two set screws.. but hey you still deserve the credit! Thanks again.. this is exactly why I love the forums! here's the one I ordered

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-07-2020, 05:58 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts

for a few dollars more, you can just replace it with the factory cable...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM...8AAOSw4A5YoikL
Old 08-07-2020, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
for a few dollars more, you can just replace it with the factory cable...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM...8AAOSw4A5YoikL

kind of like what I already said, have the cable but don't have the time to take off the fender, the lining, the clips, the front end bumper cover to then feed the cable through.. but wait for it.. the cable head control WILL break again.. it's a design flaw, so why spend the $$$ just to have it break over and over again? kinda pointless.

see.. I've had this civic for so long that I've already had TWO honda hood latch cable heads break on me.. That's why I didn't care to install the third, I bought it, yes, but I started to wonder why bother fixing it?! Now here's this great idea that the aftermarket comes up with since the cable isn't the part that breaks, it's the bean counters at honda that have a design flaw in the hood latch cable design.

Ask any of the previous generations, like my 91 CRX had a lever that activated the hood latch cable. That design never had a problem. But the bean counters started with the 96 (it was well documented back then when the 1996 generation was introduced) to see what was "over engineered" no the real answer is they went cheap, and we have this faulty design to live with. It's the little things they forgot to take care of. But aftermarket looks like they have corrected it. So for a couple extra dollars? Why bother? It will just break again..
Old 08-08-2020, 08:01 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I lube mine every once in a while. Been a very long time and hasn't snapped. I do plan on rerouting it inside the the engine bay.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

I apprehensively put one of these on mine a couple of years ago and I actually love it. It's a nice aluminum piece that's not prone to break again like the old one. My cable was never tough to pull or anything, it's just not a great design and eventually breaks.

Hardest part about putting the new one in is cutting the old plastic off of the cable. It's hard with the cable still installed in the car. Bring gloves and a utility knife with a couple of fresh blades.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

As said above, part one was I also didn't have the time to replace the whole cable, and part two was I believe this is an improvement over the original. Didn't take long at all, and hopefully it will last many years. Glad it helped a few people.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Interesting find. I wonder how well the "set screw" holds the handle in place over the long term?
The duty cycle of the pull is so low you could likely put a drop of loctite on it and forget about until the the end of the earth or the car (not entirely sure which is closer anymore lol). I honestly kinda forgot I did this until I saw this thread.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Broken hood latch handle repair option

Originally Posted by spAdam
The duty cycle of the pull is so low you could likely put a drop of loctite on it and forget about until the the end of the earth or the car (not entirely sure which is closer anymore lol). I honestly kinda forgot I did this until I saw this thread.
lol.. ya the way things are going kinda looks like the end of it all.. but I'll make sure I get another cutter as a spare in case one gets dull as I'm cutting the stubby away. loctite blue would be a great idea!

Hey moderators.. I think this should be a sticky/faq post, could help others having the same problem in the future. Definitely a fix worthy of a sticky!
The following users liked this post: