Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

broken bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken bolts?

So the two bolts that hold the valve cover on broke, and i never had a prob until i boosted the car...not it leaks like a bitch...honda says 100-400$ to get em out....i tried a drill tap but no luck any ideas?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: broken bolts? (userdead626)

New head? No other real solution. Same **** happened to me. With the Z6 head, the front ones are in the rocker arm assembly. I ended up going to the junkyard and just replacing the entire rocker arm setup
Old 01-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: broken bolts? (BauleyCivic)

yea man, ur fucked! I had the same problem with my d16y8. ****** bolts suck. I had to pay $430 to get them taken out and redone, then about a month later I blew the motor! Have fun. It won't be cheap.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: broken bolts? (JayDiemB18bCivic)

anyone know how i can possibly make it stop leaking for a while?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually your not fucked.. theres a drill bit thats is reversed meaning it goes backwards when you have it going in the forward motion. I learned this other day in my machining class. Not sure where to buy it but im sure you can find it somewhere at hardware store. Pretty simple get the drill bit and tap it on the broken bolt it as you take the bit off it will turn the bolt and it will slowly come out each time you tap the bolt with the drill bit
Old 01-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: broken bolts? (shooitslinh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shooitslinh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually your not fucked.. theres a drill bit thats is reversed meaning it goes backwards when you have it going in the forward motion. I learned this other day in my machining class. Not sure where to buy it but im sure you can find it somewhere at hardware store. Pretty simple get the drill bit and tap it on the broken bolt it as you take the bit off it will turn the bolt and it will slowly come out each time you tap the bolt with the drill bit</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, its called an EZ out. 30% chance it'll work without snapping.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya never worked i tried
Old 01-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are these the bolts that you bolt the valve cover onto the head with, cause i broke those and it wasn't $400 to fix...about $4 or $8 for a bolt and a shop removed the broken piece for a minimal charge...but maybe i am looking at an entirely different bolt

they do sell kits to remove a broken bolt, but you shouldn't use them because they expand the bolt, which can ruin your threads
Old 01-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: broken bolts? (pumatec8)

A friend of mine drilled them out easily. Don't listen to all of these guys saying you're fucked and need a new head.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just sold a z6 head for like 50.00. If you don't have anything special done to it like porting and whatnot. Just replace and be done. Just be sure to oil the threads when putting the cover back on. they are NOTORIOUS for snapping upon removal.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mattssi)

well i have tried to drill them out...but no luck...
Old 01-23-2006, 03:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shooitslinh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually your not fucked.. theres a drill bit thats is reversed meaning it goes backwards when you have it going in the forward motion. I learned this other day in my machining class. Not sure where to buy it but im sure you can find it somewhere at hardware store. Pretty simple get the drill bit and tap it on the broken bolt it as you take the bit off it will turn the bolt and it will slowly come out each time you tap the bolt with the drill bit</TD></TR></TABLE> Actually, for me it's worked 100% of the time. I hate weak bolts The EZ out works great fo me. If you cant do it, take it to a good shop, They can. Do not buy a new head, It's a waste of money unless you need it for some other reason.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:23 PM

yeah a couple weeks ago i painted my valve cover black and i had a bolt break on me too. it was the one on the front on the far right. It was easy to remove though. .. i just drilled a hole down the middle of the broken peice. .then i bought some EZ outs. . .the kind with the square tips. . and i took a hammer and kind tapped it into the hole. . then i just twisted it out lefty lucy and it came out easy as hell. If this doesn't work for you then i have no clue what you should do cause i've never experienced that before.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: broken bolts? (Cute EK)

try heating them as you do it that way the ezout gets a good bite. and also the aluminum well expand and help loosen up
Old 01-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: broken bolts? (delslowh23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by userdead626 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone know how i can possibly make it stop leaking for a while?</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you guys seriously ****** read? Take it to a shop man. I paid over $400 to fix it. I had to get my car towed by AAA but the labor and everything was $429.57. The bolts alone were over $30.00 from Honda. You don't need a new head. Take it to a shop or call around and get some prices. Good luck man.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:04 PM

ok look this is how u do it....

things u need!
1. tap and die set.
2.drill
3.lock tight / super glue
4.screw

1. drill a hole in the bolt.
2. tap it.. u only get one chance 2 do this so do it right the first time.....
3. get a new screw to put in that taped hole... first put lock tight then put super glue around the new screw.
4. put it in the new taped blot.
5 wate like 30 minz
6 the new screw will be locked in the blot.... start to turn the new screw.... it schould come out with the brokein bolt head... old school and getto way 2 do it... and dont pay some guy 2 do it for 70 bucks hahhahaha

http://www.flickr.com/photos/asler/90459247/
[IMG][/IMG][IMG]new screw http://www.flickr.com/photos/asler/90459246/ [/IMG]
Old 01-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: broken bolts? (4doorkillaa)

or bring it to someone that does know what they are doing, and listen to someone that has correct grammer

Oh also, if you really plan on messing around with these bolts some more, don't get metal shavings all over ur head
Old 01-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: broken bolts? (4doorkillaa)

Actually a snapped EZ out is best. I had some left-handed drill bits and used them to get a broken bolt out of my transmission case. Well, I broke one when trying to extract and was like "expletive..." so I tried the same bit and the jagged piece of **** grabbed the broken bolt really well.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: broken bolts? (DanW)

holy crap, he already said he tried that already
Old 01-23-2006, 05:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB18bCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do you guys seriously ****** read? Take it to a shop man. I paid over $400 to fix it. I had to get my car towed by AAA but the labor and everything was $429.57. The bolts alone were over $30.00 from Honda. You don't need a new head. Take it to a shop or call around and get some prices. Good luck man.</TD></TR></TABLE> You went to the wrong shop. It cost me $10 to get one bolt removed. You got your parts at the wrong place. Ken Vance Car City Honda sold me a new bolt for aprox $8.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB18bCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">holy crap, he already said he tried that already</TD></TR></TABLE>
I mean no offense by this, but sometimes people dont do things right.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did just take the ez out and just try to use it like a drill? your suppose to tap the bolt while the dril bit is spinning so it catches the bolt and slowly pulls it out
Old 01-23-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Re: broken bolts? (shooitslinh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shooitslinh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did just take the ez out and just try to use it like a drill? your suppose to tap the bolt while the dril bit is spinning so it catches the bolt and slowly pulls it out</TD></TR></TABLE>
How about clarifying? That doesn't make any sense. To use an EZ out you first drill a hole with a regular drill bit. Then put the right size reverse threaded EZ out in that hole and ease it out. Penatrating oil works wonders for this operation.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cute EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> You went to the wrong shop. It cost me $10 to get one bolt removed. You got your parts at the wrong place. Ken Vance Car City Honda sold me a new bolt for aprox $8.

I mean no offense by this, but sometimes people dont do things right. </TD></TR></TABLE>

one bolt for 8 bucks. I broke all 5 of them and at 8 bucks a piece or more, do that math. And going to the wrong place to get the bolts removed. hmm. Upstate NY doesn't off much for "smart mechanics" And at the time I can't just drive my car anywhere with no valvecover! I called each and every one of the shops in the surrounding area and all of them told me that they didn't want to tackle that kind of job. So I found one guy that said he would do it. I mean what am I really gonna say? No? Yea, not really, I needed a car so I had it done. A ****** month later I finally got my car, and on top of that I got it back with a shitty *** paint job and well it just wasn't my cup of tea
Old 01-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB18bCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

one bolt for 8 bucks. I broke all 5 of them and at 8 bucks a piece or more, do that math. And going to the wrong place to get the bolts removed. hmm. Upstate NY doesn't off much for "smart mechanics" And at the time I can't just drive my car anywhere with no valvecover! I called each and every one of the shops in the surrounding area and all of them told me that they didn't want to tackle that kind of job. So I found one guy that said he would do it. I mean what am I really gonna say? No? Yea, not really, I needed a car so I had it done. A ****** month later I finally got my car, and on top of that I got it back with a shitty *** paint job and well it just wasn't my cup of tea </TD></TR></TABLE>]

**** and your motor blew a months later! that blows man makes me not feel so bad about my lil prob
Old 01-23-2006, 06:02 PM

one bolt for 8 bucks. I broke all 5 of them and at 8 bucks a piece or more, do that math. And going to the wrong place to get the bolts removed. hmm. Upstate NY doesn't off much for "smart mechanics" And at the time I can't just drive my car anywhere with no valvecover! I called each and every one of the shops in the surrounding area and all of them told me that they didn't want to tackle that kind of job. So I found one guy that said he would do it. I mean what am I really gonna say? No? Yea, not really, I needed a car so I had it done. A ****** month later I finally got my car, and on top of that I got it back with a shitty *** paint job and well it just wasn't my cup of tea </TD></TR></TABLE>
Sorry, you didn't say you broke all five of them. That really sucks. So does blowing your motor.
I agree with him though. Take it to a shop, get it done right. Until then, for temporary use only: I took a piece of hose and stuck it on the end of a bolt, stuck that in the hole and it didn't leak. Ghetto, I know, but when you need it It sometimes has to be done

Quick Reply: broken bolts?