Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken Bolt, Royally Screwed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Bolt, Royally Screwed.

First off, the metal frame that goes around the steering rack, is that the crossmember or front subframe? Im trying to explain my problem to people and I dont even know what this piece is called.

So i'm doing a motor swap/turbo setup on my EK hatch right now, and while the motor is out i was going to install my SiR front sway, LCA's, and shock forks.

Anyway while trying to remove the three bolts that hold the bushing to the frame on the rear mount for the LCA, one of the nuts thats welded to the inside of the car broke free and now the bolt is stuck. (bolt circled on the left in this pic)

Now the only thing I can think of is removing the whole subframe/crossmember? And replacing it... I have the SiR parts car and was going to take it off that. Does anyone have any tips for removing this whole thing? I was going to drop it with the steering rack inside of it, then swap my steering rack into the SiR subframe/crossmember so i dont have to get an alignment after. How hard is it going to be to put the subframe/crossmember backinto place with the engine in the car?

If anyone has a better idea then replacing the whole metal frame piece let me know. Or any tips on easy removal. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken Bolt, Royally Screwed.

start looking for the other end indide and break that bitch loose
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MattNYC
start looking for the other end indide and break that bitch loose
Theres no way to get inside the subframe, its completely sealed. I would have to take it out to cut a hole in it to get to the nut. If im taking it out, ill just put the sir subframe in.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 AM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

That may be a blind/hidden nut in the frame. You will need to cut the head off the bolt and use a blind rivet nut.

http://www.boltproducts.com/marson/b...vets-nuts.html
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gwl
That may be a blind/hidden nut in the frame. You will need to cut the head off the bolt and use a blind rivet nut.

http://www.boltproducts.com/marson/b...vets-nuts.html
not going to be that easy he has to get the bolt out first u cut the head off the bolt and push it into the subframe thats gonna be a rattling nightmare. if u know sumone that can weld id take a 2" whole saw cut a hole out to get the wrench in there or just weld the nut again. take the piece that the whole saw trapped and have them weld it back in . those bind riviets only work if u have enough depth of metal to bite.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
not going to be that easy he has to get the bolt out first u cut the head off the bolt and push it into the subframe thats gonna be a rattling nightmare. if u know sumone that can weld id take a 2" whole saw cut a hole out to get the wrench in there or just weld the nut again. take the piece that the whole saw trapped and have them weld it back in . those bind riviets only work if u have enough depth of metal to bite.
I've already taken the spare subframe off of my SiR. I will be swapping ittonight
Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
You are right about the rattle, if you have very limit access to a welder than this is what I would do. Also,welding a nut as you suggested would be a more permanent solution.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a spare subframe, replacing it would be the easiest way to go! I did a rear disc swap last week and I had the same problem with my LCA.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

New subframe is in, took about 3 hours to swap.

Getting the steering rack back in place was the hard part with the engine in the way.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I Broke mine too, i used a jack to put pressure on the bolt ( transmissiion jack) and welded the bracket directly to the subframe. then welded the bolt to the bracket.

It was an awful time
Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pothole987
I Broke mine too, i used a jack to put pressure on the bolt ( transmissiion jack) and welded the bracket directly to the subframe. then welded the bolt to the bracket.

It was an awful time

I had thought about doing it that way, but decided to do it properly since I had a spare subframe.