Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brakes - are you able to make your brakes/tires skid on purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brakes - are you able to make your brakes/tires skid on purpose?

i have stock honda civic hb cx brakes and just changed a 15/16 MC.( hopefully, no stamp on the MC). My stock one was busted or something because the pedal would just drop to the floor.

anyways, i swapped it out today with my dad and just went for a test drive. seems like the MC is holding pressure for now.

i was wondering, and it kind of bothers me. i cant seem to make my brakes/tires/ skid on purpose. going maybe anywhere from 10-35 mph, i would slam the brakes as hard as i can, but the car wont skid. maybe 10 mph is kinda slow to skid, but i would think it would at least make a tire sound.

i know tires play a big part, but i got kumho 711, not too aggressive.

anyone got some insight or anything? thanks
Old 11-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rip the e-brake they will skid.

i dont know ive never really tried to skid on purpose
Old 11-05-2006, 06:59 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (turtleman321)

hmm I can lock em up above 40 if I stand on the pedal
Old 11-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cbmprelude)

the entire point of brakes is to stop the vehicle as efficiently and safely as possible. skidding is not good. why are you trying to do so?
Old 11-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm just trying to test it out you know. i know skidding is bad, it basically means the brakes are working better than the other parts ( tires, suspension , etc).

maybe i just felt like i could/should be stopping faster. ill drive it for a couple days and see if there is a real difference with the new MC
Old 11-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did once, then i went flying off the road

cold tires + morning dew/moisture + hangover = flying off road
Old 11-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EFbomb)

when you go into a skid you actually accelerate. then slow down
Old 11-05-2006, 07:26 PM

Default Re: (slambedcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you go into a skid you actually accelerate. then slow down</TD></TR></TABLE>

No you dont, you just dont stop as quickly usual (usual meaning under 100% braking force without skidding).

Any braking system should be able to lock the brakes, regardless of ABS or not. If you can not lock the wheels you are not getting the manufacturer supplied force and pressure to the calipers and drums.

If the pedal works better with a pump or two, I suggest bleeding the system again to remove the air that is trapt.

Rich

Old 11-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can lock up mine at will...I have to be careful under super-heavy braking not to go into a skid. Usually I feel it within .1 seconds of it happening and I can modulate from there to keep my steering.

Regardless, I just got back from a date with a super hot chick and your brake issues are far from my top 10 right now. I really hope you get it sorted out. Peace.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can lock up mine at will...I have to be careful under super-heavy braking not to go into a skid. Usually I feel it within .1 seconds of it happening and I can modulate from there to keep my steering.

Regardless, I just got back from a date with a super hot chick and your brake issues are far from my top 10 right now. I really hope you get it sorted out. Peace.</TD></TR></TABLE>
LMFAO!!!!!!!! hot chicks ftw!

anyway. a good amount of fluid. bleed all four corners. make sure you do the farthest one away first. 1. right rear 2. left rear 3. right front and you guessed it 4. left front.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
LMFAO!!!!!!!! hot chicks ftw!

anyway. a good amount of fluid. bleed all four corners. make sure you do the farthest one away first. 1. right rear 2. left rear 3. right front and you guessed it 4. left front. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's funny. My manual says to bleed passenger rear, driver front, driver rear, then passenger front.

-Shane
Old 11-05-2006, 08:53 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bleed all four corners. make sure you do the farthest one away first. 1. right rear 2. left rear 3. right front and you guessed it 4. left front. </TD></TR></TABLE>
No, that is incorrect. The brake channels are diagonal. The proper bleeding order for a non-ABS Honda is PR &gt; DF &gt; DR &gt; PF.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: (nighttrain33)

regardless of how your supposed to bleed them you should be able to skid by pressing hard on the brakes i had mine done by honda when i bought the car two months ago and still only have to press somewhat harshly to make them skid it doesnt recquir me to slam on them though its pretty easy and you should be able to skid from any speed above 5 mph with a quick enough pounce on the brake pedal
Old 11-05-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Re: (Jhonny Ricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jhonny Ricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">regardless of how your supposed to bleed them you should be able to skid by pressing hard on the brakes i had mine done by honda when i bought the car two months ago and still only have to press somewhat harshly to make them skid it doesnt recquir me to slam on them though its pretty easy and you should be able to skid from any speed above 5 mph with a quick enough pounce on the brake pedal </TD></TR></TABLE>

No. I can hit that brakes pretty hard at 40 and they won't lock up. I would have to step on it with both feet to lock up at anything over 40.

-Shane
Old 11-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

let me clarify that after i changed the new MC, i bled the brakes, i bled it until new fluid hit on 4 corners. PR,DF, DR, PF.

there is no more air in the lines and the pedal feel is very good. it just doesnt seem to be able to skid, lol. it does, however, seem to stop pretty good when i try to skid it tou though.

i think im feeling this way because for the past week, while my car was down, i been driving my dad's camry and those brakes seem to work well. BUT, thats because the camry is not lowered and the nose dive affect makes it as if the car is slowing down fast. also, thetires on thoat car isnt exactly performance tires, so maybe its easier to skid out.

the guy who said he cant make his tires skid at 40 while slamming the brakes, what tires are you using and is your car lowered?

i guess for now, ill just drive with it. hopefully i can get my integ 4 corner brakes in soon. i just need my koni red shocks now!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

do you feel it click when u slam the breaks? my dads mc in his camry is going up it will break but it doesnt click like jerk back.. my 93 civic breaks quick and clicks..

if you want to skid, get some mcdonalds food trays but 1 on each back tire pull up ur emergency brake and do donuts and ull spin crazy

Modified by Steven. at 10:17 AM 11/6/2006
Old 11-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brakes - are you able to make your brakes/tires skid on purpose? (stripes777)

it might have something to do with your new MC.

on all the non-abs EH's I've owned (DX, VX, Si) I could make them all skid at as low as 5-10mph.