Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brakes, I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 05:18 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes, I have a few questions.

First: This is what Im doing. I am about to install my rear disk conversion, so I took the calipers and the brakets off the hub asembly to clean and paint them (they where in bad shape). Now this is my dilema the calipers are labeled L and R but the brakets are not. I was looking for a difference between the two but could not find any they look identical. My question is are they interchangable? if not what should I look for?
Second: Whe I took the old pads off I didn't see a pad shim, are these easily purchased from the dealer? and If im right it's just 1 per side on the outside.

Third: I went ahead and got new pads, lines and I'm going to flush the fluid. Now I now that the pads need some kind of break in (bed in) I got Axxis Ultimated from Cobalt but no info was included about this. Can anyone give me some guidelines on what to do.

Thanks in advance for your time and have a great labor day week end!
Old 08-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: brakes, I have a few questions. (pucho)

I did the same thing... Mine work fine I tried them both ways to see if they sat different and they didn't so I just left it how it was the second time...

If you order the stock pads from hondaautomotiveparts .com they send you the shims too... no spring clips though...

as far as the break-in....

I always just get on them real hard... my old boss told me that's how he has been doing it for years... It works fine but most recomend normal braking at progressively higher speeds... IE 10 then 20 then 30 then 50 etc...
Old 08-28-2003, 08:31 PM
New User

Default Re: brakes, I have a few questions. (NonovUrbizniz)

Old 08-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: brakes, I have a few questions. (pucho)

Axxis Ultimate break-in procedure:

1) Find an open road nearby(long with minimal traffic and/or able to turn around and keep driving along it back and forth).

2) Do approx 4-5 MEDIUM/HARD stops from 45-55mph down to 20mph back to back. You should be able to smell them after this, they are now warmed up.

Now drive around for like 2 minutes to allow them to somewhat cool.

3) NOW, do 6-8 VERY HARD(impending lock-up/or ABS bite) stops from 65-70mph down to 10mph back to back.

Now drive around for 5-10 minutes to allow them to cool, and try not to use the brakes too much if possible.

4) Park your car and allow them to set overnight(or atleast 3+ hours). Do not use parking brake if you're also bedding in rear pads, just park on level ground and leave in gear.

5) From then on, just drive them like normal pads, they'll never require any further bedding-in, however they do better after warm-up.

Enjoy, they are very good street(& light-duty track) pads.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:09 AM
New User

Default Re: brakes, I have a few questions. (ILUVTEC)

Cool thank for the info!