Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake problem - 00 Si

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problem - 00 Si

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my right front brakes. First of all, I believe the rotor is pretty warped since every time the wheel rotates i can hear a rubbing sound as the pad contacts the rotor. Its been this way for quite a while since a few panic stops a long time ago. The thing is that the vibration when i brake is very minimal, and somtimes I dont even feel vibration. I know the brakes are approaching the end of their life, but something strange happened to me yesterday. I was cruising along and suddenly i started hearing squeeling, as if the wear indicators on the pads were touching the rotor. The thing was that i didnt have my foot on the brakes, but when i did press the brakes the sound got worse. Also every now and then it would stop squeeling unless i pressed the brakes, and then after that it would squeel even if i let go of the pedal. To make things even stranger, after about 30 minutes of squeeling, the brakes (or whatever is squeeling) stopped completely and since then ive driven the car approx. 3 hours and i havent heard a peep out of the brakes! what the heck guys!? Im just really confused!!!

What you think could be the problem? I figure im gunna replace pads and rotors, but im not sure about the strange timing of the noises?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 11-20-2004, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake problem - 00 Si (niceasrice)

i have the same problem. its my front right assembly i think. thats where the noise comes from. and when i do a 3pt u turn, when im reversing, it makes this wierd sound too. anyone know what exactly it is?
Old 11-20-2004, 03:14 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brake problem - 00 Si (niceasrice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceasrice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my right front brakes. First of all, I believe the rotor is pretty warped since every time the wheel rotates i can hear a rubbing sound as the pad contacts the rotor. Its been this way for quite a while since a few panic stops a long time ago. The thing is that the vibration when i brake is very minimal, and somtimes I dont even feel vibration. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're not feeling any real vibration when you apply the brakes, what makes you think that the rotors are warped?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceasrice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I was cruising along and suddenly i started hearing squeeling, as if the wear indicators on the pads were touching the rotor. The thing was that i didnt have my foot on the brakes, but when i did press the brakes the sound got worse. Also every now and then it would stop squeeling unless i pressed the brakes, and then after that it would squeel even if i let go of the pedal. To make things even stranger, after about 30 minutes of squeeling, the brakes (or whatever is squeeling) stopped completely and since then ive driven the car approx. 3 hours and i havent heard a peep out of the brakes! what the heck guys!? Im just really confused!!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It sounds to me like your brakes are worn out and are in the early stages of the "squeakers" touching the rotors. Right now the sound may be intermittent but in a short while it will be constant so just change your pads and rotors and you should be fine. Also check to make sure your caliper isn't seized up at all cause if it's dragging that may explain why it squeaks sometimes and not others. If they seem to be ok, make sure you grease up the caliper slider bolts with the proper grease before you put everything back together to ensure proper function down the road.