Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

BRAKE LIGHT stays ON. Is it old or bad fluid?? BACKUP LIGHTS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BRAKE LIGHT stays ON. Is it old or bad fluid?? BACKUP LIGHTS?

for hte past month, my brake light stays on even though my ebrake cable is down. i know that in some dsm cars, thats an alert to change your filthy brake fluid. but is it the same with honda?

i'm planning on doing the whole dc integra brake conversion soon (since i'm cheap) but hopefully that will take care of the problem. anyone have any input?

also semi-off topic, my reverse lights tay on all the time, even when in gear. its notthe reverse switch thingy on the tranny (Cause i unplugged it and it still came on) any ideas?
Old 10-03-2003, 08:53 AM

Default Re: BRAKE LIGHT stays ON. Is it old or bad fluid?? BACKUP LIGHTS? (phantom_sol)

omg, I almost had a heart attack from the title of this thread saying "brake light -- old or bad fluid?".

To answer the question, brake fluid has NOTHING to do with the brake light.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like it could be a short somewhere, pull fuses until it goes out and then investigate the appropriate circuit...
Old 10-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To answer the question, brake fluid has NOTHING to do with the brake light.</TD></TR></TABLE>dude...come on...
yes if the light is on it means that either the fluid is low (check it) or the ebrake is still up

doing the conversion would take care of the problem because you have to bleed your brakes...and that means adding fluid to the mc...but just adding it now would solve the problem too

i have no clue about the lights staying on

Modified by pdiggitydogg at 1:05 PM 10/3/2003
Old 10-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

no fuses blown, not even under the hood. the brake fluid is filthy but not low. i had bled the brakes a few months ago once changing the pads. but i guess it wouldnt hurt to do a complete brake flush. though i'm only a brake booster, brake pad, and knuckles away of a complete brake changover.

i hope there isnt a short int he lines

though i think that would be the problem for the backup lights. anyone know a good solution other than payiong 600 dollars for honda to do a 30 minute job
maybe run an independant switch from transmission to backup lights?

i guess my subject title is a little retarted. but thank you all for replying so fast. the post was up for what...5 minutes?
Old 10-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you might not HAVE to do the flush...just check the level on the MC first.

is the pedal soft/mushy?
Old 10-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't mean were the fuses blown, i meant once you find out which fuse turns the reverse light off check that its the right fuse for the ciruit, if its not there must be a short somewhere and start looking for faults.. If the fluid isn't low it could be the sensor thingy that detects its low...or the handbrake (is this the ebrake?) cable sensor could have got stuck..good idea to change the fluid before your brake lines corrode...
Old 10-03-2003, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the brake petal feels a little bit softer , has to push down a bit before resistance but the fluid is fairly topped off in the resevoir. its just a yucky semi-transparent green. looks really gross to tell you the truth.

theres a fuse to turn it off the reverse lgihts????

well i'll take another go at it. thanks for the input.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the fuses might help with the reverse light, if you're sure its not the sensor then it could be a short circuit, it will be fused offcially somewhere but if you find a fuse that makes it go off which has nothing to do with it then you know theres probably a short between that circuit and the reverse light.. electrical problems can be a bitch, you've got to eliminate everything you can and then go about checking everything else..
Old 10-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phantom_sol)

there is a pin thingy above the brake petal that some times brakes and thasts what tells the brake lights to come on and to turn off. Check and see if that is broken. I think its a blue and it looks kinda likea bullet. If the is the problem you can just buy a new one or do what my friend did and stick a bolt in the hole. Good luck