Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bogging while cruising/accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:37 PM
EJ7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging while cruising/accelerating

I installed a header and intake on my car (98 HX). I had to rewire both 02 sensors to reach the catalytic converter and the header, once all was said and done (double and triple checked) the car was bogging, while cruising or accelerating, no matter what rpm i'm at, it jumps and dives about 1500rpms. I read for codes and there were none, no check engine light either. Iacv is plugged and wired correctly, No wires are grounding. Looking for professional opinion.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Bogging while cruising/accelerating (EJ7)

how much length did you add to the o2 wires, and did you solder the connections?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:47 PM
EJ7

Default Re: Bogging while cruising/accelerating (IHateJDM)

No soldering, butt connectors and crimping wrench, i added the necessary wire length with some slack so they wouldn't get yanked out by any moving parts
Old 11-16-2005, 01:49 PM
EJ7

I'm also beginning to think it may be a Fuel problem (pump, filter, even lines maybe?)
Old 11-16-2005, 01:53 PM

It probably is a fuel problem, caused by the o2. too much length in the wire and butt connectors throw off the o2's signal (causing the ecu to make the car run rich). Trim out any wire you don't need between the ecu and the o2, and solder the connections. You'll be suprised how big of a difference this can make.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:56 PM
EJ7

I'll give it a try right now and let you know how it goes, thanks.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:57 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I installed a header and intake on my car (98 HX). </TD></TR></TABLE>
Sorry to tell you but doing anything to an HX is a waste of time. That's a fuel economy motor and you can spend the world away and not make 5 HP. But since your already finished with what you've done go ahead and do what EJ7 said.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:57 PM
EJ7

Default Re: Bogging while cruising/accelerating (MooGoCow3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MooGoCow3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sorry to tell you but doing anything to an HX is a waste of time. That's a fuel economy motor and you can spend the world away and not make 5 HP. But since your already finished with what you've done go ahead and do what EJ7 said.</TD></TR></TABLE>
1st of all I am ej7, secondly Power is for drag racing, technique/skill is for keeping your speed in the corners. You don't need power to keep your speed, sure it helps but without driving skill you can't control the power. Plus the header I bout increased more than 5 HP if you want to be specific.
P.S. if you were sorry you wouldn't have said anything at all, seems to me like you just wanted a little boost in self confidence/your ego. Grow up, mind your business, read the topic of the post. Your arguement is irrelevant.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:58 PM
EJ7

sorry for the mispellings, just in case that's another reason for you to flame me...flamer
Old 11-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1st of all I am ej7, secondly Power is for drag racing, technique/skill is for keeping your speed in the corners. You don't need power to keep your speed, sure it helps but without driving skill you can't control the power. Plus the header I bout increased more than 5 HP if you want to be specific.
P.S. if you were sorry you wouldn't have said anything at all, seems to me like you just wanted a little boost in self confidence/your ego. Grow up, mind your business, read the topic of the post. Your arguement is irrelevant. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm.. what kind of headers? honestly i doubt they added more then 5hp. MAYBE intake and headers might add like 6hp.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Bogging while cruising/accelerating (Redlite)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redlite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Umm.. what kind of headers? honestly i doubt they added more then 5hp. MAYBE intake and headers might add like 6hp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

who the expletive cares if its 5 hp or not. its his car, let him do whatever the hell he wants to. reading your posts is a waste of time. help him with his problem or gtfo.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:27 PM
EJ7

Default Re: Bogging while cruising/accelerating (Redlite)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redlite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Umm.. what kind of headers? honestly i doubt they added more then 5hp. MAYBE intake and headers might add like 6hp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

"Ummmmmmmm..." actually they(intake+header) add 10+ HP, sure I'm wasting my money, MY MONEY. get it. Like they say, ignorance is bliss.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i doubt 10 horse on intake and header, Gs-RRRRRRRRRR's dont even make 10 hp from headers, cat back and aem V2
Old 11-17-2005, 01:35 PM
EJ7

Back to the <U>relevant</U> topic at hand, I figured out the problem. The 02 sensor for the Cat was faulty, I unplugged it and the bogging disappeared.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:40 PM
EJ7

Default Re: Bogging while cruising/accelerating (tuck'd98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuck’d98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i doubt 10 horse on intake and header, Gs-RRRRRRRRRR's dont even make 10 hp from headers, cat back and aem V2</TD></TR></TABLE>
No one was talking to you buddy, the little things on an underpowered car do make a difference, mind your business if you've got nothing to say about the posted topic.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the more under powered it is the worse gain youll get, if your statement was true we would all have geo metro's, youll get better gains froma higher horse motor than one with less

dont comment if you dont know
Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuck’d98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i doubt 10 horse on intake and header, Gs-RRRRRRRRRR's dont even make 10 hp from headers, cat back and aem V2</TD></TR></TABLE>

headerS huh?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuck’d98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the more under powered it is the worse gain youll get, if your statement was true we would all have geo metro's, youll get better gains froma higher horse motor than one with less

dont comment if you dont know</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's not necessarily true either. gains have to do with how restrictive the stock bolt-ons are, not how much power you make stock. Notice the bold print.

That being said, I really doubt you did gain 10 whp by intake and header, although i'm sure it may feel like it from the butt dyno. Either way, glad you found your problem.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

opps didnt mean the S on the header, but with an Hx would even be harder to pull off 10 hp on a lean burn econ motor.

to the poster, just swap a y8 motor/head in your car, youll be much happier for the 250-600 dollars you spend on the head swpa or longblack swap

when my ex was stock my buddies Hx with header, intake, full exhaust, gutted rear, and jet chip wouldnt touch my car, he gave up and spent 600 for a y8
Old 11-17-2005, 02:00 PM
EJ7

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That being said, I really doubt you did gain 10 whp by intake and header, although i'm sure it may feel like it from the butt dyno. Either way, glad you found your problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol, you caught me, shock value. On a different note, what are the best (performance-wise/bang for your buck) springs for AGX's, I've heard the eibach pro kit is ideal for use with them.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuck’d98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to the poster, just swap a y8 motor/head in your car, youll be much happier for the 250-600 dollars you spend on the head swpa or longblack swap
</TD></TR></TABLE>

good advice if you plan to stick with that block. that intake and header is probably around a 4-5 whp gain, but its a good idea to not mention actual power figures unless you have a dyno to back it up. someone always calls bs if you don't.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:04 PM
EJ7

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuck’d98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">opps didnt mean the S on the header, but with an Hx would even be harder to pull off 10 hp on a lean burn econ motor.

to the poster, just swap a y8 motor/head in your car, youll be much happier for the 250-600 dollars you spend on the head swpa or longblack swap

when my ex was stock my buddies Hx with header, intake, full exhaust, gutted rear, and jet chip wouldnt touch my car, he gave up and spent 600 for a y8</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I was considering that, but before I install I was thinking of sending it to DPR for a stage 6 head job. Even though it's still SOHC, and victim to a lot of criticism, I'd rather have something original, than something we've all seen before.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im using ground control coilovers witht he agx's, nice ride and love the adjustablitly
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 PM
EJ7

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

good advice if you plan to stick with that block. that intake and header is probably around a 4-5 whp gain, but its a good idea to not mention actual power figures unless you have a dyno to back it up. someone always calls bs if you don't. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I plan on taking apart whatever I happen to get, never done it before. A head is pretty simple though compared to the block or taking apart a tranny and putting it back together. I do have professional help, in case anybody was going to advise it.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well head swaps are failrly easy and cheap, pull you head, do whatever with it, new haed gasket, bolt your new head on, get the correct ecu for your head, get the wiring harness that goes witht he head and ecu about a 4 hour project!
Old 11-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or just do the complete longblock swap, in and out, and depending on the plans you have, lower compression on the y8 than your y5 equals more boost

Quick Reply: Bogging while cruising/accelerating