Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

blox > skunk2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blox > skunk2?

since the search feature is down i resorted to using google as a way to search for info, and found that a lot of people prefer the Blox IM over the skunk2 IM, and that the blox isnt the same as the old sk2 IM. In fact I've read that blox's product is better 2 fold, the runners are longer, and the plenum is larger, and their product is cheaper. I'm aware they come from the same warehouse. Can any one else add their .02?

engine is a d15b SOHC VTEC.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: blox > skunk2? (obuhmyuh)

with longer runners and a larger plenum all you are going to gain is top end... basically only above 5k rpm. sk2 is the same story although the runners are a bit shorter and you will gain a little bit lower in the range. i prefer sk2 but blox makes good products also.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blox > skunk2? (93egSLEEPER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with longer runners and a larger plenum all you are going to gain is top end... basically only above 5k rpm. sk2 is the same story although the runners are a bit shorter and you will gain a little bit lower in the range. i prefer sk2 but blox makes good products also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the input. i mean it sounds like their almost the same, i mean they have their trade-offs, but Blox is so much cheaper. I don't mind shelling out the extra $$ but if they both yield similar results, I have no prob with Blox.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you like the product and it is what you are looking for i say go for it and get it. i havnt heard anything bad about blox manifolds yet. on a stock motor you wont see a difference in the two more then likely.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats my thinking too
Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

skunk2 is over rated
Old 05-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have heard nothing bad about blox manifolds.. and like it was stated before, if its mostly stock, prolly wont make much of a difference
Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 AM

Default Re: (riceburnerryan)

blox is better and cheaper. if you buy the sk2 only real difference is a badge on it that says skunk2
Old 05-14-2008, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to make a consideration. The Skunk2 IM is carb legal. Which unfortunately for you just like me we live in cali and emissions are a B. I really don't know if blox is carb so im sorry if im wrong but I do know that Skunk2 is. And I have it on my D15B vtec engine also. Just picture it big *** IM with a PWD:JDM whale ***** and BAM you got a **** load of air in yo engine
Old 05-14-2008, 06:23 AM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: blox > skunk2? (mortificationrock)

From what I hear, Blox's IM breaks often. I got a buddy that has one on his GSR and where you screw it into the head, the manifold cracked. It didn't crack when installed it, it happened when he was driving. Of course he torqued to spec. But everyone knows how it is these days, "you get what you pay for."

Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blox > skunk2? (HondamanXxX)

thanks everyone for your input. ill let everyone know how my install goes after i get it.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceburnerryan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have heard nothing bad about blox manifolds.. and like it was stated before, if its mostly stock, prolly wont make much of a difference</TD></TR></TABLE>

about 6 hp from what ive read, but whatever ill take what i can get.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might want to make a consideration. The Skunk2 IM is carb legal. Which unfortunately for you just like me we live in cali and emissions are a B. I really don't know if blox is carb so im sorry if im wrong but I do know that Skunk2 is. And I have it on my D15B vtec engine also. Just picture it big *** IM with a PWD:JDM whale ***** and BAM you got a **** load of air in yo engine </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha theres nothing carb legal about my car, so im not too worried about my IM haha, i have a somewhat "homemade" style CAI that's actually pretty legit but not carb legal.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-This may be hard to swallow, but numbers don't lie.

-Bolt ons yield almost zero power gains on a D-Series motor when untuned.
-This goes for intake IM, Cat back exhaust, Header etc.
-Same is true for the B-Series.
-These bolt on parts are more tuning tools than performance modifications.
-They allow for more Hp to be found but it doesn't add power outright.

side note: the K-series motors are revered for actually responding to simple mods on the stock tune.

Quality is my priority when building cars, so my Vote (between the two) goes to the Skunk.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blox > skunk2? (v!taminb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v!taminb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">skunk2 is over rated </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, those Pro series cam's suck
Old 05-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blox > skunk2? (Ice78transam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ice78transam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-This may be hard to swallow, but numbers don't lie.

-Bolt ons yield almost zero power gains on a D-Series motor when untuned.
-This goes for intake IM, Cat back exhaust, Header etc.
-Same is true for the B-Series.
-These bolt on parts are more tuning tools than performance modifications.
-They allow for more Hp to be found but it doesn't add power outright.

side note: the K-series motors are revered for actually responding to simple mods on the stock tune.

Quality is my priority when building cars, so my Vote (between the two) goes to the Skunk. </TD></TR></TABLE>

numbers dont lie, but since this is a tech forum numbers would be nice to back that up with, im not talking about b or k series, but a direct comparison between the two, because that's what im really interested in.
i wasn't really asking if i should get an IM or not i was just seeing what everyone had to say, so thank you for the input, and i will be getting my car tuned soon but im not gonna waste my $$ and get my car tuned after every mod.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your right numbers would be ideal, however it was years back when i actually dyno'd the single cam with various mods. The comparison with B and K series motors was just to solidify the fact that it doesn't matter what you buy, your not going to gain any power. I'm sorry that i dont have a comparison between these two, but once again I can only suggest the Skunk 2 based on quality
Old 05-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a had time beleiving a k series didnt make more power with a better IM then a d series... just tough for me to see... but it could be possible
Old 05-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a had time beleiving a k series didnt make more power with a better IM then a d series... just tough for me to see... but it could be possible</TD></TR></TABLE>

No no no. Thats what I was saying. Just to clarify, D and B series motors dont gain power from basic bolt ons whatsoever, so choosing a part should be based on quality and future plans, not "promised" performance. The K-series however is known for its affinity for bolt ons, different parts produce different results in K-series. So when purchasing a bolt on for a K take into account power produced, quality AND future plans.

So for the OP, Buy the better part. Nether will net you any sort of performance gain. In fact you may indeed LOOSE power or Torque in parts of your power curve due to the longer runners and larger plenum. They are simply tuning tools, and part of a greater goal, they are not designed to increase performance by themselves. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to make some money from you...fact.

I dont wanna seem like an *** here its just the truth in tuning. Hope this helps mitigate some confusion. Cheers!
Old 05-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^ LOL ok man sorry i read it wrong and was like... this guys out of his mind. thanks for the clarification
Old 05-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ice78transam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just to clarify, D and B series motors dont gain power from basic bolt ons whatsoever</TD></TR></TABLE>

/sigh

That is a bold-faced lie.

You can easily make 180 whp on a b series with stock internals.

I've also seen Ds put down 115-120 with bolt ons and tuning.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blox > skunk2? (2LEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2LEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

/sigh

I've also seen Ds put down 115-120 with bolt ons and tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true but when we are talking performance gains we are talking 250-275whp.... rivaling stock turbod b's
Old 05-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blox > skunk2? (2LEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2LEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

/sigh

I've also seen Ds put down 115-120 with bolt ons and tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please read what I said again. And feel free to prove me wrong.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blox make good quality IM's
Old 05-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (RoadRacer46)

Both brands are pretty well-made and are quality products, so I'm led to believe that either choice would be a good one.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.mattyz_)

alrighty giggity oh, haha.

thanks guys im gonna get the blox and ill post pics and my insight.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there anything else i need when installing this IM? i was reading through the FAQ and read this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1141806 and it calls for a **** load of extra stuff, granted its for a GSR but being that that is the only DIY i've found on IM's, i want to make sure i wont need anything else besides the actual IM and a IM/TB gasket.

Quick Reply: blox > skunk2?