Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Block/tranny alignment pins/dowels- really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block/tranny alignment pins/dowels- really necessary?

They're next to impossible to get out without damaging, and I need to do so since I'm swapping trannys. One stayed in the block, so that's ok, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get the other one out of the old tranny. The new tranny doesn't have any in it, so I could theoretically get a new one and put it in, but the nearest Honda dealer is an hour away.

Is it possible to substitute something else that I might be able to get at my local auto parts store? I've been searching, and found that one or two people say they're absolutely necessary, but almost no other mention of them.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Block/tranny alignment pins/dowels- really necessary? (Shanghai Jim)

If you can't drive to the dealer, order them online. I'm sure it's possible to install without dowels, but it'd be difficult if not impossible to get everything to line up.

You can try spraying the crap out of the second dowel with WD-40, grabbing it with some needle nose pliers and twist it/ rock it side to side.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Block/tranny alignment pins/dowels- really necessary? (GSaura)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSaura &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you can't drive to the dealer, order them online. I'm sure it's possible to install without dowels, but it'd be difficult if not impossible to get everything to line up.

You can try spraying the crap out of the second dowel with WD-40, grabbing it with some needle nose pliers and twist it/ rock it side to side. </TD></TR></TABLE>I have it soaking in PB Blaster overnight, so we'll see how it goes. I already mangled it a bit by using some channel locks, but it might be salvageable if I can get it out without making it worse.

Looks like it's a 14x20 mm pin. I would think any decent parts store should be able to get something that basic.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Block/tranny alignment pins/dowels- really necessary? (Shanghai Jim)

i know this is a lil different but i was changed trans on a 02 envoy at work and didn't notice the dowels stayed in the old trans i installed the new trans 3 months later the envoy came back with a broken flex plate. notice the dowels were missing and got new ones and the truck never came back that was over a year ago. might have been coincidence but i would get new dowels or get the old one out. i wouldn't risk it your local part store should have one but finding out the size you need is the tricky part try using a pair of vice grips to get the old one out of the tranny or a pair of channel locks. its up to you but i wouldn't risk it
Old 05-06-2008, 07:17 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you soak it with a penetrating lube for a while, and then hit the area around the pin with a handheld torch it should come out pretty easily with some light pulling. when pulling you could stick the tube of an upside down can of compressed air in the dowel and freeze that piece; it will contract the pin a bit, and, in the heated/expanded surrounding area, it should really help free it.

i would never run without the prescribed dowels unless it was an absolute emergency.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Block/tranny alignment pins/dowels- really necessary? (builthatch)

i don't have them now on my block/tranny now. its hard as hell to get the tranny to line up but its not impossible. plus we did it with the engine/tranny out of the car. i can't wait to change my clutch.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Block/tranny alignment pins/dowels- really necessary? (ltrkstr2k)

Turns out I ran into a roadblock with the replacement tranny I got, so I have time to get the dowels after all. I'm just going to tear the old ones out with some vice grips and antiseize the heck out of the new ones. I did find some locally that were really close, but no cigar, as they say. Before this is all said and done, I'll have 3 d-series trannys in my garage, hopefully with one that works.

I'm still not sure why they used hollow dowels instead of solid pins.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shanghai Jim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm still not sure why they used hollow dowels instead of solid pins. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad your doing it the best way ... as far as hollow , im not sure but metal expands and retracts as it goes from hot to cold ... so maybe ???
Old 05-08-2008, 06:34 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Block/tranny alignment pins/dowels- really necessary? (Blzdeep)

i'd say they used hollow dowels for expense and necessity. why overdo something so small, you know?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Block/tranny alignment pins/dowels- really necessary? (builthatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd say they used hollow dowels for expense and necessity. why overdo something so small, you know?</TD></TR></TABLE>I suppose... I have more experience with old Subarus, and they used solid pins, which is why I thought about it.