Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bleeding the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding the clutch

ok ive gone to search and it was pretty helpful. ive just got a couple of questions.

i was told that bleeding the clutch was just like bleeding the brakes, so i tried doing it in the past and i was unsuccessful both times. each time i tried to bleed the clutch i never obtained any pressure, and i did it exactly like i would do my brakes. i was reading in search that you have to make sure that the resevior is always filled. now i dont think i did that the past 2 times, but could this be the reason why i didnt obtain any pressure? does the hose that goes at the end of the bleeder screw have anything to do with this or does the hose just prevent any spillage?

just curious because now i have to do mine....the pressure on my clutch was lost overnight and i found no fluid in the resevior. TIA
Old 10-17-2002, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bleeding the clutch (LB CRX)

No fluid will equal no pressure. The piston that engages the clutch assembly fromt the slave cylinder (forget the name of the metal piece that goes to the throwout bearing) requires fluid. Make sure you always top off the clutch when bleeding. I had to do this 2 weeks ago after a tranny rebuild.

The hose that one puts at the end of the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder is just to route the purged fluid into the container. Make sure it is tight after bleeding.

mario-
Old 10-17-2002, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bleeding the clutch (Mario_D)

According to the Helms, bleeding the clutch is nothing like bleeding the brakes.

I followed the helms procedure recently and my clutch is butter smooth.

1. Put a hose on the bleeder at the slave cylnder. put end of hose in an empty bottle.
2.Crack open bleeder.
3. Uncap clutch resiviour, make sure it is full.
4. Slowly pump and pull the clutch pedal with your hand. This will pump fluid through sytsem.
5. Keep an eye on the resiviour, dont let it go below the empty line. You should need to add fluid every 5 to 8 pump strokes.
6. Keep pumping and filling till you see no air come out of the hose on the bleeder.
7. Close bleeder.
8. Test clutch pedal.

I was able to completely bleed my clutch with only the small bottle of fluid, but I ran an extra 1/3 bottle through to be sure.

Following the above procedure, my clutch is butter smooth.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Bleeding the clutch (tonyxcom)

I did mine just like I do the brakes. Works fine. Pump the clutch 3-4 times, crack the bleeder, close it. pump again, crack bleeder, close it etc.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Bleeding the clutch (93 EH3)

I did mine just like I do the brakes. Works fine. Pump the clutch 3-4 times, crack the bleeder, close it. pump again, crack bleeder, close it etc.
My point is that you are wasting your time doing it that way.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:47 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, misinformed.

!!!!!You cannot properly bleed brakes/clutch with one person. Unless you use some specific equipment.!!!!!

1. Make sure resivior is full
2. Pump clutch, slowly, wait 2 seconds after every pump. Do 4-8 times. Hold clutch pedal as hard as you can.
3. Have friend (whomever) open bleed screw on slave cylinder (8mm) until all the fluid comes out.
4. Close bleed screw
5. Release pressure from clutch pedal
6. Repeat, as many times as you want, to get clean fluid and all air bubbles removed.

IM me if you need anymore help.

[Modified by w00t!, 2:48 AM 10/18/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 06:08 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Bleeding the clutch (w00t!)

Wow, misinformed.

!!!!!You cannot properly bleed brakes/clutch with one person. Unless you use some specific equipment.!!!!!

1. Make sure resivior is full
2. Pump clutch, slowly, wait 2 seconds after every pump. Do 4-8 times. Hold clutch pedal as hard as you can.
3. Have friend (whomever) open bleed screw on slave cylinder (8mm) until all the fluid comes out.
4. Close bleed screw
5. Release pressure from clutch pedal
6. Repeat, as many times as you want, to get clean fluid and all air bubbles removed.

IM me if you need anymore help.

[Modified by w00t!, 2:48 AM 10/18/2002]
I'm pretty much like that-
Have 1 person at the clutch pedal, and one at the bleeder screw.
1.Pull of cap and top off with fluid.
2. SLOWLY push clutch pedal to ground while person at bleeder screw Barely cracks open bleeder screw- and tightens before pedal hits floor- fluid should have slowly drained out along with bubbles
3. Repeat and top with fluid as necessary. Make sure you don't open the bleeder screw TOO fast or pump the pedal TOO fast.

[Modified by Emerica, 7:11 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 06:09 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: Bleeding the clutch (Emerica)

make sure fluid does not squirt out, it should only slowly ooz out, unless you're draining the line
Old 10-17-2002, 06:35 PM

Misinformed?

Come drive my car with an ACT preassure plate that I bleed by MYSELF with nothing but a wrench my hands and my arm and we will see who is misinformed.

Like I said, you can do it your way with the entire platoon there if you want. I dont care. But it is one man job.

[Modified by tonyxcom, 3:37 AM 10/18/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 09:31 PM
New User

Misinformed?

Come drive my car with an ACT preassure plate that I bleed by MYSELF with nothing but a wrench my hands and my arm and we will see who is misinformed.

Like I said, you can do it your way with the entire platoon there if you want. I dont care. But it is one man job.

[Modified by tonyxcom, 3:37 AM 10/18/2002]
Sorry, I shouldn't have stated it that way. There is nothing wrong with your technic, but to new comers, or someone who hasn't worked on a hydrolic clutch - I just wanted him to have his problem resolved with no problems or confussion, I'm sure he could find a friend to help him.

Anyway, could I come drive your car!?
Old 10-17-2002, 09:34 PM
Solbros Owns Me

a hydrolic clutch
Don't let Shawn see this...it's better for first timers to get down the "basics" before trying everything themselves
Old 10-18-2002, 12:18 AM

Anyway, could I come drive your car!?
If you make it out here, I'll let you take it through the gears.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:21 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I hate to admit it, "tonyxcom" listed the steps straight out of the helms manual.

Only thing is, HOW SLOWLY???????

I'm begining to wonder if part of the self adjusting setup includes a check valve to prevent fluid/bubbles flowing back when the pedal come back to the top.

Built in speedbleeder????
I must research this, which means go bleed the clutch.

Movie quote some what related......
"You mean I've been packing fudge?"

Meaning, I've been doing it wrong the whole time? Geez, teach a old dog a new trick!

[Modified by Mista Bone, 7:25 AM 10/18/2002]
Old 10-18-2002, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude bleeding the clutch is the easiest **** every. all u do is have someone in the car pumping the clutch and some one filling the resevoir then u can loosen the screw that bleeds it. when the person that is pumping the brake feels some pressure then he would tell u to would tighten the bolt and then fill the reservoir with the correct amount of fluid. it is as easy *** that. don't need no special or expensive kind of tool
Old 10-18-2002, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Bleeding the clutch (Mista Bone)

While I hate to admit it, "tonyxcom" listed the steps straight out of the helms manual.

Only thing is, HOW SLOWLY???????
And why would you hate to admit such a thing

How slowly? About 2 seconds for each direction of stroke should be slow enough.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

According to the Helms, bleeding the clutch is nothing like bleeding the brakes.

1. Put a hose on the bleeder at the slave cylnder. put end of hose in an empty bottle.
2.Crack open bleeder.
4. Slowly pump and pull the clutch pedal with your hand. This will pump fluid through sytsem.
5. Keep an eye on the resiviour, dont let it go below the empty line. You should need to add fluid every 5 to 8 pump strokes.
6. Keep pumping and filling till you see no air come out of the hose on the bleeder.
7. Close bleeder.
8. Test clutch pedal.

I was able to completely bleed my clutch with only the small bottle of fluid, but I ran an extra 1/3 bottle through to be sure.

Daym! That's prolly why my clutch squeaks everytime I press. I just bled it out without pressing the pedal. (I guess I'm gonna have to do it again )

So basically, the procedure above is the same as brakes...

Anyways... Is there a recommended fluid for replacing? I know helms said "Honda", but can you use regular DOT3 brake fluid?
Old 10-18-2002, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2.Crack open bleeder.
7. Close bleeder.
8. Test clutch pedal.

Old 10-18-2002, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Bleeding the clutch (upNover)

Valvoline or Castrol Dot 3 fluid is perfect.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:19 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd have to admit not reading the Helms and doing the bleeding the LOGICAL way.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2.Crack open bleeder.
7. Close bleeder.
8. Test clutch pedal.

when it comes to cars/engines im not a newbie, but when it comes to hydraulic clutches, yes. i like the procedure TONY gave me above, but one question, this procedure doesnt require me to open and clost the bleeder srcrew?? from my understanding of this it only reqires to open and close it once. i thought that if you did that, the sytem would suck air back up when the pedal is released.

it seems like the other guys did it like they would do the brakes, ive tried that but it didnt work. my whole question was did it not work for me becuase i didnt keep the resevior full?? another thing i did was pump the pedal really fast.

thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:20 PM

BS... I completely flushed my clutch fluid out with DOT4 brake fluid by myself... no problem... Castrol GT-LMA exceeds DOT4 brake fluid. I upgraded my front brake fluid to it, good stuff!

[Modified by zelifcam, 3:22 PM 10/18/2002]
Old 10-18-2002, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bleeding the clutch (zelifcam)

[QUOTE]hydrolic clutch[QUOTE]

Shawn's gotta see this.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:51 PM
New User

Default Re: Bleeding the clutch (Boost Pressure)

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/cat....cfm?focus=239

Good stuff. Peace, gone drinkin'....
Old 12-28-2002, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should you ever completely flush out your old clutch fluid? the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual doesn't even mention anything about this but only to flush out your brake fluid for the brake system every 45k miles.

[Modified by Draggin99Si, 11:20 AM 12/28/2002]
Old 12-28-2002, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bleeding the clutch (Draggin99Si)

should you ever completely flush out your old clutch fluid? the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual doesn't even mention anything about this but only to flush out your brake fluid for the brake system every 45k miles.

[Modified by Draggin99Si, 11:20 AM 12/28/2002]
WoW... good job using the search. I congradulate you. Yes, I would bleed the clutch for good measure. I don't know why the manual doesn't cover it, the Helms might, but I don't have mine.

Quick Reply: Bleeding the clutch