Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bisimoto Signature B series engine to D series transmission adapter plates

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bisimoto Signature B series engine to D series transmission adapter plates

http://www.bisimoto.com/wst_page10.html
I was speaking to Bisimoto recently (super hard to get a hold of!) and I asked him why he has F/H to D series adapter plates but not B to D series adapter plates. He admitted he had had requests for them in the past but did not think they would be as popular as F/H to D plates. Both a friend and myself thought it would be the other way around and B to D plates would have been the first thing invented, or am I missing something here? Anyway, he said that if I could gather support by 6 total people that he would go ahead and produce such a plate, availing anyone the opportunity to use a D series transmission with their B series engine. I figured I'd make a thread and see if anyone else was interested. Please no posts from know it alls who will question why anyone would want to do this or tell me B series is superior b/c everyone has reasons for wanting to do something different. If you support such an idea, let's hear it. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested, that would be nice cost wise, as accessability wise. What do I have to do to be in "support?"
Old 08-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

Why the hell do you want a D series trans over a B series trans?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bisimoto Signature B series engine to D series transmission adapter plates (jseaton357)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jseaton357 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Please no posts from know it alls who will question why anyone would want to do this or tell me B series is superior b/c everyone has reasons for wanting to do something different.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
Old 08-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why the hell do you want a D series trans over a B series trans? </TD></TR></TABLE>

cuz you can buy spare d trannies for about $50 a tranny and have multuple trannies setup for your car.
i've bought two trannies at $50 each so far..
Old 08-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (igo4bmx)

The reason that nobody has done this is because it's pointless. the best sohc STOCK tranny has nearly identical gearing to the WORST b-series trans.

waste of time + money + material. What's next? 6mm spacer sleeves to run d-series pistons in b-series engines?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the price on something like this? and sorry if this is a dumb question but i read the ad and it mentioned something about it going clockwise only?? does this mean that with this plate i wouldnt be able to utilize reverse??

if it does mean that then this adapter plate is worthless.although i would love to have this plate since i have a million sohc trannys it would be pretty cool to use this since around here b series trannys can sometimes be a task to find.but if i cant have reverse its pointless. better off finding a bseries tranny with a bad reverse
Old 08-13-2006, 10:25 AM

Default Re: (happyabortion)

Yes, hopefully the B block to D series head adapter thingy will be out next. j/k.
No, let's not mix apples and oranges here. D series trannys are very cheap and plentiful. Before I had my current B16 in my EG hatch I had Si sohc motor and I honestly liked my old D16 tranny better.

I was in luck as I just contacted Bisimoto and pointed out that I created a thread and could not answer topics about counterrotational and price so hopefully he'll be on here to clear up any questions but he did say it would be a daily driven design and that both B and D series engine are same rotation so yes, you'd be able to use reverse. Check back later tonight to see if he responds. To show your interest in this product either email him on his site and/or say you'd definitely be interested on here. We now have at least 2 people interested.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Tru

Simple answer. D-series trans are cheaper, and "stronger" if you will, because they can take more abuse. Take a look at B-Series gears next to D-Series gear, the D-Series gears are thicker/beefier.

http://bisimoto.com/wst_page10.html

From Bisi's site:
"Bisimoto Signature F/H- series engine to D series transmission adapter plates are now available. These exist as race only units that can adapt all counterclockwise rotation H and F motors to '86 to 2000 D series transmissions.

This is the very same plate system that won the IDRC 2003 all motor champtionships, and showcased in the June to August Sport Compact Car magazine!

Many may ask, "Why the D-series transmission?" These transmissions are plentiful and very cost effective. Since many popular Honda chassis come with these transmissions from factory, factory style axles, mounts, shift linkages, and gearbox sensors can economically remain intact.

Strength of the individual gears is also a big plus. Unlike their B-series bretheren, D-based gears are "stubby", and take well to abuse. Favorite transboxes include, but not limited to, the '86 to '89 Acura Integra D16A1, and the '97+ Civic ex (due to the ferrous based shiftforks).

The Bisimoto Adapter units, the flywheel, bolts and plate, have been rigorously tested in racing environments for 4 years: a claim which imitators cannot replicate. Metallurgical testing has occured to ensure the perfect components. Precision is key: misaligned dowels or poor workmanship can result in damaged engines (destroyed main bearings), and gearboxes.

This CNC plate system will allow the benefits of power and performance of the H/F variant powerplants without the excessive weight and hassle of the cable-based H-series transmission.

The kit comes with the signature "half moon" anodized adaptor plate, aluminum flywheel, and custom plate bolts. Factory dowel pins and flywheel bolts should be utilized.

Demand the best! Use the "Contact us" link to place orders. Please specify transmission type (year; hydro./cable), and chassis configuration."
Old 08-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason that nobody has done this is because it's pointless. the best sohc STOCK tranny has nearly identical gearing to the WORST b-series trans.

waste of time + money + material. What's next? 6mm spacer sleeves to run d-series pistons in b-series engines?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ROFL....I would not argue with the king of trannies!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (Tru)

Okay, I know about the F2D. But think about it like this. The F/H Trans suck. As well as the axle placement of F/H series swaps into civics.

So if one were to use a F/H engine, there's the issue of using a better trans. Bisi already had a custom trans built by jamie@houseman. B-series isn't that great, and more power can be extracted from a F/H than b-series due to the already larger bore + displacement. F/H powerplant + cheap d-series trans = killer combo. Bisi tested this and proved it.

So lets thinkg about this.

Bisi B2D adapter plate = 800 dollars
used cheap d-series trans = 50 bucks
total cost for a "cheap" trans = 850 bucks

yes, you can do the ex/zc hybrid trans. But the gsr has the nearly the same ratios

gsr trans:
1st = 3.23
2nd = 1.9
3rd = 1.36
4th = 1.034
5th = 0.787
final = 4.4

zc/si combo with 771 crx si 5th:
1st = 3.25
2nd = 1.9
3rd = 1.346
4th = 1.033
5th = 0.771
final = 4.25

But even with that zc/si hybrid combo that trans will cost nearly the same as a gsr trans.

If the B2D adapter plates were $250 i'd say yes. But it's not cost effective, nor is it worth the effort IMO.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how about a dseries engine with a bseries tranny, that makes a hell of a lot more sense
Old 08-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spooncivic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about a dseries engine with a bseries tranny, that makes a hell of a lot more sense </TD></TR></TABLE>

actually....makes no sense at all.

even if you spend 850 for the tranny and plate set up, if you mess up the tranny boom another 50. big deal. expletive up a b series your out 500 bux. plus you can get a sohc SI tranny w/lsd for cheaper that a bseries w/lsd.

maybe in the short term doesnt make much sense, but if your planning on beating on your tranny, long term makes more sense
Old 08-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mitsuman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mitsuman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually....makes no sense at all.

even if you spend 850 for the tranny and plate set up, if you mess up the tranny boom another 50. big deal. expletive up a b series your out 500 bux. plus you can get a sohc SI tranny w/lsd for cheaper that a bseries w/lsd.

maybe in the short term doesnt make much sense, but if your planning on beating on your tranny, long term makes more sense</TD></TR></TABLE>

correct me if i'm wrong, but i've seen alot more Bseries trannys take ALOT more abuse than a sohc tranny ever will...and why would you want worse gearing of a dseries tranny on a bseries motor?? "so you can stay in boost longer?"
Old 08-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Go Tigers!

it's all in the differential. d-series diff sucks. but who cares. performance + open diff aren't a good combination anyways.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Tru

Bense, i completely understnad where your coming from, i was just posting up the answer to why people would do it, from Bisi's site
Old 08-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about a dseries engine with a bseries tranny, that makes a hell of a lot more sense </TD></TR></TABLE>

comp clutch makes an adapter plate or is working on it
Old 08-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

800 dollars for the adapter plate?? thats not cost effective at all!!i can buy a gsr tranny for 400bux around here. and my boy just ordered a jdm gsr tranny with lsd for 850..like you said if the plate retails around $250 im definately in to buying one and i KNOW they would sell like crazy. but for 800...only a person with too much time/money and no knowledge over hondas would buy
Old 08-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (happyabortion)

the ONLY and i repeat ONLY good thing i can cee this being used for is to fit the VX tranny to a B20 for someone that drives highway alot. you get grunt with a long *** tranny, doing 1500 rpms on the highway owns for gas $$ BUT you would need to do SO much milage in a year to offset the cost of the plate
Old 08-13-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

to me it seems like this is for race teams not street guys.

race tams go through alot of trannys in a season, with this plate they just buy cheap *** D trannyes and salvage parts from the well geard tranny to the stock D and bolt it back up.

season after season this would save ALOT of cash.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ONLY and i repeat ONLY good thing i can cee this being used for is to fit the VX tranny to a B20 for someone that drives highway alot. you get grunt with a long *** tranny, doing 1500 rpms on the highway owns for gas $$ BUT you would need to do SO much milage in a year to offset the cost of the plate</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, this is one of the reasons I was thinking b/c I DO drive a tons of miles each day and would like the low rpm cruising. The rest of you can think you're all cool getting the shittiest gas mileage with your super 4.7 or 4.9 final drive ratios if we see $4/gallon prices, but I'll be smarter with more cash in my wallet, not to mention my engine lasting a lot longer.

Aside from gas mileage, the longer gears in a VX tranny would mean not having to shift so often which gets annoying when I spend a lot of time in city driving with my current B16 tranny. Please don't tell me to get an automatic or a hybrid though as I like my Civic and manual transmissions.

The other reason one might want to use a D series tranny is b/c they are lighter and that equates to a better handling vehicle by reducing weight up front.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (jseaton357)

then get a d15z1
Old 08-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">then get a d15z1 </TD></TR></TABLE>

i have the Z1 curse...not cool. soon to be, a bense style build up w/ pms pistons once i get a d15B to replace it in my DD
Old 08-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Go Tigers!

pms or vitara, pms or vitara...

AHH THE DECISION HAUNTS MY DREAMS!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:52 AM

Greetings all,
I have recieved many requests for a B engine to D gearbox system, and I am currently exploring it. I need at least a couple of months to have it properly tested.

D, B H, F and A motors rotate counterclockwise, hence, transmissions from any year can be mated.

I have been difficult to get a hold of in the past (prior to June 10) since I attempted to juggle my pharmaceutical career and motorsports. Since early June, I have dedicated my entire time to Bisimoto Engineering, and I am easily accessible now: Jason even reached me on a Sunday!

Jamie Houseman mated dog engagement to my factory gears in 2005. Prior to that, I ran bone stock factory gearboxes, and even won a 2005 championship with it. By the way, if you have the notion that my Pro All Motor peers with K and B gearboxes run them stock, you would be wrong. As a matter of fact, at my most recent event in Fontana, 2 B gearboxes, and 1 K tranny disintegrated, with less power than what we had in 2003!

This kit is not for everyone, but it does offer many economic, swap ease, and performance advantages. As for my current kit (H2D), we have had a special for $649 since early spring. The kit comes with an aluminum flywheel, and other hardware. The most popular aluminum flywheels retail in the upper $200s to lower $300s. What is amazing is that I have run the system for over 4 years with the same plate, with many wins, records and other accolades under my belt. The new system will not hover anywhere near $800.

Infinitude, Jamie Houseman, SRR and even king motorsports all offer gear options for D transmissions. The creative enthusiast can also mix and match individual gears, if so desired. Feel free to call or write via my site. I am here to help!
Stay tuned...

Quick Reply: Bisimoto Signature B series engine to D series transmission adapter plates