Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bigblock conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigblock conversion

Hey guys, Ive got a brand new crate chevy 350 sittin in my garage and a old worn out 93 hatch completely stock.

I used to own a 98 prelude and i used honda-tech for that vehicle, my question is i remember hearing about someone putting a v8 in one of these cars and converting it to rear wheel drive, and beefing the suspension up, I know those small mazdas have a kit out there to convert to a v8 rear wheel, is there a kit available for a 93 hatchback civic?

I do realize even with a kit there would be alot of metal fabrication and getting rid of the stock dash, probably a bigger hood, a huge upgrade to the front end components, finding a rearend that will fit the width of the civic and having a custom driveshaft made, aswell as fabricating the exhaust and tranny/engine mounts. Ditching the computer and going with a carburated engine.

If there is no available kit if any gurus are out there what is the easiest car to strip down for a rear end convo on a 93 hatch civic? Also what car would do well for fabricating the front end suspension and control arms to hold the huge weight increase...

By the time the project would be over id expect a car weighing between 2000lbs - 3000lbs with a 350 stroked to 383 (its a 4 bolt main) probably pushing 300sh hspower with little money invested into the block, running a 5speed chevy manual transmission.

Can you say... sleeper? Quite exhaust for the win if i can make this happen. I dont have to worry about emissions im in a small town in texas.

And i did search v8 conversion and found nothing. So please dont flame this, i am very seriuos about doing this, i have alot of mechanic experience, and wielding / framing experience.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Bigblock conversion (revlimitx04)

PM Civette

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2004368
Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no kits, you're on your own.

But seriously, for only 300 horsepower? You can build a Honda motor to 300 for half the cost in a tenth of the time it would take to make a V8 hatch. And you wouldn't have a car that handles like ***.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 PM

Default Re: (OMGWTFBBQ!)

300 hp on a stock engine, and much room for improvment, but mainly to do something different from swaping it out for a h22 or something, plus i have a engine with 6k miles on it rotting away. There always is the option of selling the 350 for some quick cash then buying a h22a or whatever motor would make a decent swap, But i like to have projects and to put a V8 into a hatchback, that would be a sight. Civette's project looks like he took two cars and weilded the frame togather, thats not what im looking to do, ive known a few guys to take those old 80's corolla's and convert them to rear wheel drive so i dont see how it would be much different to do this with a civic. And i also disagree with the handling aspects, i mean look at any old chevy truck and the rearend of those are just as light as a hatchback, i dont see how the car would handle badly if the wielding was truely square and measured correctly. Of course there would be alot of reinforcing of the stock frame of this car, nothing an arc wielder cant handle.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Re: (revlimitx04)

I googled v8 civic hatchback and found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrFe56z8FEE

Looks like it can be done.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car will handle like crap. Trust me. I've seen what V8s do to miatas and FD3Ss.

The way Civette did it is the only way to do it. If you skimp on the welding your chassis is going to twist. Or the engine will fall out.

The problem converting Hondas to RWD is there is only one civic you can source parts from, the EF wagovan, which came with active awd. Those cars are impossible to find, and wouldn't accept anything near the torque of a V8. Its easy for Toyota guys because there are alot of RWD toyota cars laying around.

If you wan't RWD and wan't to do something that hasn't been done tons of times to other cars, why not do an F20C swap? That'd be a sweet project.

And 300whp is nowhere near the limit of a Honda engine, especially an F20C