Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Big problem with B16A2!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problem with B16A2!!!!

Here's the scoop...
I bought this EM 2000 Si with a Greddy Turbo, intercooler, JE pistons, and other great stuff in a B16A2. According to previous owner, the oil checkups were normal, and the engine is only 42K old. The oil was last changed in August and only 1500 miles ago. Since this is a new purchase I have been having some fun with the turbo and for some reason all the oil burned out and my crankcase fused without warning. I am now looking for a new engine, looking more at the H22, but am wondering if anyone else out there has had similar issues. Mechanics have not confirmed what the real casue is, but I need some feedback and see if there are similar experiences and what happened to correct those. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big problem with B16A2!!!! (blaze the chemi)

You did'nt get any CEL's befor this happened?
Old 11-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big problem with B16A2!!!! (S(J)O(D)L(M))

not to mention an oil pressure light? dude, did you check your oil?
Old 11-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big problem with B16A2!!!! (slambedcivic)

The oil pressure light flickered only a little bit the day before, but didn't really go on until 5 minutes before the thing froze.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wouldnt the flickering have tipped you off that somethign was wrong? the turbo was probably eating oil. or the return line was leaking.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blaze the chemi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The oil pressure light flickered only a little bit the day before, but didn't really go on until 5 minutes before the thing froze.</TD></TR></TABLE>
you drove it for 5 minuets with the oil light on?

dude what the **** did you think was gonna happen?
Old 11-04-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another example of why not to buy someone else's project car....

And an example of why not to buy a car when you don't know **** about them
Old 11-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, you never want to drive one of these low on oil. If that light as much as flickers, turn it off and check the oil. If the oil light was on for 5 min. I guess it should lock up. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big problem with B16A2!!!!

Well thanks for the heads up on the turbo possibly eating oil. I'll certainly have that checked out. I need some referals as to where to go and get this thing swapped out and the rest of the parts checked. Any one have a good place they would suggest around the Atlanta area or East Coast?
Old 11-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

need to defently check the oil ever so often being turbo and all the vtec tends to suck oil if the motor has mileage on it and has been ran hard. have a friend with a b16A2 turbo pushing 397.8hp to the wheels strong motor check the oil man oil light not GOOD.............don't not run the car if the light even flickers. B16A
Old 11-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Big problem with B16A2!!!! (vtecgod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecgod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">need to defently check the oil ever so often being turbo and all the vtec tends to suck oil if the motor has mileage on it and has been ran hard. have a friend with a b16A2 turbo pushing 397.8hp to the wheels strong motor check the oil man oil light not GOOD.............don't not run the car if the light even flickers. B16A </TD></TR></TABLE>no good running engine should eat that much oil, period. mileage or not.

something very serious happened to that engine, wether it be the user or a other issue wont be know.

if that engine or turbo burned that oil, i garuntee he would have seen smoke. ill bet it was the return line.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big problem with B16A2!!!! (Kamin)

i totally agree with you on that one didn't say it eats up oil i said vtec tends to use some oil though. yes something happen to the engine might have a leak some where.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

explain how VTEC uses up oil
Old 11-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i am a ceritified honda tech in some cases depending on driving when the mileage starts to get up like 75 and 80 above when you go into vtec alot it will tend to use up some oil not alot just some it's good to keep a eye on it that's all.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecgod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i am a ceritified honda tech in some cases depending on driving when the mileage starts to get up like 75 and 80 above when you go into vtec alot it will tend to use up some oil not alot just some it's good to keep a eye on it that's all.</TD></TR></TABLE>
sorry bro, but just because you work in the lube express or in the garage doesnt not certify you as a technician. you may be a tech, and i may be wrong.

the only way that VTEC can "USE" oil is if the solenoid itself is leaking. other than that it is recycled right back into the crankcase just like the rest of the oil.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well hopefully he will get the problem fixed nope sorry don't do lube's do swap's like me own.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really? what dealership do you work at? ide like to find out because a good friend of mine works as an acura TECHNICIAN at the dealer near by. He also heads up the team goPHAST. honestly, ive never heard of them doin swaps.

ive done a few swaps, does that mean im a tech?
Old 11-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i worked at a honda dealer in maryland for a while management sucked so i left didn't like the people i work with either but i learned alot when i was there.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blaze the chemi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The oil pressure light flickered only a little bit the day before, but didn't really go on until 5 minutes before the thing froze.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You've got to turn the car off asap when the oil light comes on. Simple as that. Without that, you are definately going to trash the motor.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:19 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sorry bro, but just because you work in the lube express or in the garage doesnt not certify you as a technician. you may be a tech, and i may be wrong.

the only way that VTEC can "USE" oil is if the solenoid itself is leaking. other than that it is recycled right back into the crankcase just like the rest of the oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Use your brain to think of an answer to your question instead of using it to challenge and insult someone who obviously knows more than you do.

High-RPM use (i.e. running in VTEC) will burn away more oil. Period. Honda owner's manuals for newer DOHC VTEC cars (notably the AP1 and AP2) actually have warnings in them about the oil consumption.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You've got to turn the car off asap when the oil light comes on. Simple as that. Without that, you are definately going to trash the motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly. Once the oil pressure idiot light comes on, it is already too late - damage is being done. You need to cut the ignition immediately and check things out. It's no surprise the engine seized . . . you should have checked the oil level the day before, when the oil light was flickering.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big problem with B16A2!!!! (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Exactly. Once the oil pressure idiot light comes on, it is already too late - damage is being done. You need to cut the ignition immediately and check things out. It's no surprise the engine seized . . . you should have checked the oil level the day before, when the oil light was flickering.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or you could have a freak accident happen like me and have the oil presure sensor break in half and just have it terrify you so you have to have the car flatbedded home.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blaze the chemi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's the scoop...
I bought this EM 2000 Si with a Greddy Turbo, intercooler, JE pistons, and other great stuff in a B16A2. According to previous owner, the oil checkups were normal, and the engine is only 42K old. The oil was last changed in August and only 1500 miles ago. Since this is a new purchase I have been having some fun with the turbo and for some reason all the oil burned out and my crankcase fused without warning. I am now looking for a new engine, looking more at the H22, but am wondering if anyone else out there has had similar issues. Mechanics have not confirmed what the real casue is, but I need some feedback and see if there are similar experiences and what happened to correct those. Thanks! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I change my oil every 4000km/abt 3months or so & check my oil level almost every single week. And I do check more often when I drive hard during the summer.

I got a Bone STOCK B16 motor btw. Good luck with your next motor!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Big problem with B16A2!!!! (Ricey McRicerton)

Thats why you check the dipstick, dipstick.

Vtec will use oil in fact some of my friend who raced Type-R would burn a quart a day.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 5:26 PM 11/16/2006
Old 11-05-2004, 06:33 PM

vtec also kicks in when theres a higher (certain psi) oil pressure and maybe cause some blowby thought the valve seals.

Quick Reply: Big problem with B16A2!!!!