Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

big brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big brake kit

I have a 94 VX and with front discs, rear drums. Swapping in a turbo GSR and I am looking for a big brake kit that will fit inside of a 16x7" wheel. I know a lot of people just do the gsr disc conversion or even the ex/si rear disc conversion but wouldnt that be a waste of money since I am wanting aftermarket bigger rotors and calipers to begin with? Does anyone have some ideas for whats going to be best for my setup I don't want to waste money on something I cant use or wont fit. Should I do slotted or cross drilled rotors?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: big brake kit (stivic)

ur gonna have to get rear disc brake b4 u do it cuzz the back is drums anyway and go wit the mixture its best cross drilled and slotted
Old 02-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: big brake kit (1 SIC EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 SIC EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ur gonna have to get rear disc brake b4 u do it cuzz the back is drums anyway and go wit the mixture its best cross drilled and slotted </TD></TR></TABLE>

1.) first thing you do is never listen so some idiot nooby with 1 post. Nothing he said is true. Absolutely nothing.

Now that we've got that out of the way.

Get with http://www.hmotorsonline.com and get an ITR 4-lug brake conversion. The ITR calipers and discs will fit those wheels, and if you feel the need for even more clamping force, you can upgrade to NSX dual-piston calipers.

There are plenty of how-to's and writeups about this topic, so I suggest you search before someone with a sandy vagina comes in here and tears you a new *******
Old 02-10-2007, 07:13 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: big brake kit (1 SIC EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 SIC EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ur gonna have to get rear disc brake b4 u do it cuzz the back is drums anyway and go wit the mixture its best cross drilled and slotted </TD></TR></TABLE>

What a load.

70% of your braking is done by the front wheels. Rear disc is not necessary, nor is it generally cost effective. And no, cross drilled/slotted rotors are not the best rotors in the world, no matter how leet and JDM they are. Blanks are a pretty solid option because there is more surface area, thus, quicker stops. Most Honda vehicles, even in road-race situations aren't going to build up enough heat to need cross drilled rotors, nor will the pads glaze up enough to need slotted rotors.

Get blanks and good pads on the front, and some GS-R front brakes.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: big brake kit (Eran)

Yeah your probably right on the rear discs, my coupe has 4 discs and i just like it better. Do you think just the gsr front and rear brake swap with stock rotor and caliper sizes will be enough stopping power for my estimated 500whp gsr? If it weren't would it be better to do the conversion with integra parts first then upgrade to larger rotors and calipers? I've decided not to go with slotted or cross drilled rotors but probably the solid larger ones like you said. On the other hand I have read that the brake kits coming with cross drilled rotors (aem, brembo, wilwood) have slotted pads which help contact on the surface area.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: big brake kit (Eran)

I think I am just going to do the rear discs from a civic at the junkyard and run all new lines. Probably upgrade the rotors to 11" or whatever fits inside of a 15" wheel and some bigger calipers maybe brembo if they sell just calipers and if I have to use a 16" wheel I will. That I think is my best bet though. But correct me if I'm wrong.