Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Better mileage? K&N drop in, or AEM SRI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Better mileage? K&N drop in, or AEM SRI?

I searched, it was inconclusive to these questions... In all forums so please don't waste bandwidth with "search"

Yeah.. soo... I am driving about 40k or more miles a year. Looking to increase mileage as much as possible. Even 1-2mpg is worth it. To me.

Car is a 2000 Civic EX (d16y8) with Apex'i WS2 catback exhaust on it. Eventually getting DC sports 4-2-1 header.

Would a K&N drop in filter be better/worse mileage than a AEM Short Ram Intake? I know now they (AEM) are coming with the dry filters they developed last November. Also on a side note, any power/response difference between the two.

Please no useless comments about how D series bolt ons do nothing at all. Or how the increase will be like 1hp at most so dont waste your money etc.... Please just stick to the questions.

Thank you.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Better mileage? K&N drop in, or AEM SRI? (CooBlueDAB)

The better your engine can breathe, the more mpg you will get. If you think about it, with a standard air box your engine is restricted and starved of power, so the harder you have to work your car to get the power from it, the more unneccessary fuel being burned. Basically a drop on high flow air filter will make the mileage slightly better, but hardly noticible, with obly minimal increases in bhp. An air induction kit would be slightly better, but go for a cold air intake, under bonnet ones are no good as they draw in hot air from your engine, unless you have an enclosed filter, in some sort of heat shield.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Better mileage? K&N drop in, or AEM SRI? (CooBlueDAB)

I have the K&N in my car(d16z6). I felt a better throttle response and the car felt a little quicker. Not turbo quicker but definatley felt something different.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Better mileage? K&N drop in, or AEM SRI? (hondacrx92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondacrx92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The better your engine can breathe, the more mpg you will get. If you think about it, with a standard air box your engine is restricted and starved of power, so the harder you have to work your car to get the power from it, the more unneccessary fuel being burned. Basically a drop on high flow air filter will make the mileage slightly better, but hardly noticible, with obly minimal increases in bhp. An air induction kit would be slightly better, but go for a cold air intake, under bonnet ones are no good as they draw in hot air from your engine, unless you have an enclosed filter, in some sort of heat shield.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree...since when does more air = less gas?

Anyway, look at the crx hf, civic cx, and civic vx. These things have 40mm throttle bodies and extremely small intake ports for a reason.

An increase in air flow will not yeild an increase in gas mileage in most circumstances, and a friend on another forum has done extensive testing with the K&N drop in, no increase.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Better mileage? K&N drop in, or AEM SRI? (SVOboy)

Yup, leave it stock and drive it less aggressively. An MSD ignition setup will increase your gas mileage, as will more tire pressure and thinner tires, but no intake or filter is going to make a significant positive effect.

I have a bone-stock (down to the paper filter element) 93 Si with the original D16Z6 and tranny and I get 33-36 mpg every fill up. If you shift around 2500rpm, you'll be fine for gas mileage.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

throw in a vtec-E leave everything stock and mybe look into getting those Bioperformance pills that are starting to pop up everwhere. o yea and correct me if im wrong but doesn't More Air Means using MORE fuel, wich should mean crappy MPG. if its mpgs your looking for bigger is not better.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (cyang08)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cyang08 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">throw in a vtec-E leave everything stock and mybe look into getting those Bioperformance pills that are starting to pop up everwhere. o yea and correct me if im wrong but doesn't More Air Means using MORE fuel, wich should mean crappy MPG. if its mpgs your looking for bigger is not better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Except it still won't be increasing the throttle body or intake manifold so technically, it is not more air... just better flow. Now if I were to make it ITB... that would be another story.

Currently I have a K&N drop in, and yes, better response, little more power, and about 2-3 mpg more. Unfortunately I put on some 195/55/15 Kuhmo SPT tires with rota slips, so I think that is taking down my old mileage of about 35-40 down to 30-33... I just don't want to think that is the only reason. lol... Oh well, it was worth it considering handling etc... if that was the case.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:40 PM

How did you measure this 2-3 mpg gain?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:42 PM

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/...1.htm
http://www.metrompg.com/posts/...2.htm
Old 04-23-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: (SVOboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SVOboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How did you measure this 2-3 mpg gain?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, about 2 months of checking each fill up... I am one of those obsessive people that checks mileage at each fill, remembers it, and looks for patterns. Let me guess you dont think I can divide miles driven by gallons added? Oh and those sites are with a Geo Metro... I know we have small engines but that tiny little 3banger is both of different make and displacement.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:56 PM

Excuse me for thinking that fill ups is not an appropriate method to determine such things. Especially when hard data supports otherwise.

A lot of things can happen in two months. Say, for example, that my mileage now is around 37, compared to 32 two months ago, and I changed my oil two months ago, am I to say that an oil change is worth 5 mpg? No.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:59 PM

2 months ago had colder weather and winter gas... sooo yeah that does make that kind of difference... but this was all summer, same gas, same weather... all sorts of driving, all saying about the same thing.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check SVOboy's sig guys, that forum has a WEALTH of knowledge. I am happy I recently joined. i have been gettting around 38mpg on my past 6 tanks with my d16z6.

for the record, regarding the cai:

warmer air gives better mpg, colder air helps with wot acceleration. duhhhrrr this is a mpg thread, not a hp thread correct?

with the k&n drop in filter, a 2-3mpg increase from that will only occur if the filter being replaced is past due. a different filter wont do much but an intake system that draws warmer air will give mpg gains.

go for the ebay short ram intake for mpg.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Re: (CooBlueDAB)

The point still remains. Your type of data versus the other data I provided. I will chose the other every time.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 2:32 PM 11/16/2006