Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Better Headlights???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Headlights???

Anybody know of some decent HID's, retrofits, or just plain halogen that can be bought ready to p&p affordably?

I don't have the time to do a retrofit and the shops I've found that do it charge upwards of $500 for their services.

Links would be appreciated, I just want some better lighting that doesn't cost an arm & a leg.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Better Headlights???

If you're not going to spend the 500 bucks for a retrofit don't bother with the HID kits, they're crap, you're not going to get better lighting with these ebay kits and you're just going to **** others off on the road.. Just go to the parts store and gets some Phillips headlight bulbs and make sure your headlight housing isn't clouded.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought some halogens from advance that were their top of the line and it helped having fresh lights but you won't improve the output any other way than doing a retro-fit. If you can get it done for $500 then thats not bad. I spent $160 on some brand new Denji's, $410 for complete Hid setup to retrofit and then I am doing it myself.

There is nothing that is plug and play to help you.
You could go cheap to keep cost down with headlights and get something like this for 90ish... I was about to do it and still might to do a dual HID projector setup in each side.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-95-Honda-...a60044&vxp=mtr

Then you need something like this...
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=24
Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

quoting eurochoi, that was my point, don't want the ebay crap but was hoping someone makes a quality headlight or does a retrofit for a realistic price.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Morimoto mini H1's with a good HID kit.

Pretty cheap, and 10 times better then just a PNP kit.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so of retrofits is this at least the easiest and most complete kit? Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227
Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s00_i00

When I wanted to replace my stock bulbs with something cheap and affordable, these are the ones that I found to be the best.. It made a world of a difference without having to pay the price for converting to HID or anything crazy.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Phillips Xtreams. They're like $40 I think

/thread
Old 08-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kohen
Phillips Xtreams. They're like $40 I think

/thread
lol I love saying /thread. I've heard about these being good but never used them. Might do this in the meantime but would still like some input on the morimoto kit I linked if anyone has experience with it.

I'm not totally against doing it myself, I just hate guessing and buying **** that doesn't work or work together.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Phillips X-treme's are amazing for the price.

I would try those, and be sure your headlights are crystal clear IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Otherwise my only suggestion to you is to get the Retrofit Source's PnP setup. No cutting required and what, $200?

Can't beat that.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^thanks ill check it out.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Libertariat
Phillips X-treme's are amazing for the price.

I would try those, and be sure your headlights are crystal clear IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Yes they are very cheap and better than stock headlight bulbs no doubt.

And yes I would go to Harbor Freight and spend $8 on a headlight restoration kit and get your headlights looking nice and clear! The kit works great.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^thanks
Old 08-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There ain't anything wrong with eBay hid kits. My cousin has been running his forever. No problems. I have a set that came with a car I bought from him and I've had no problems. eBay items aren't bad like everyone else says. Some items are but not all.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jhicks
There ain't anything wrong with eBay hid kits. My cousin has been running his forever. No problems. I have a set that came with a car I bought from him and I've had no problems. eBay items aren't bad like everyone else says. Some items are but not all.
The problem isn't with longevity, it's the fact that the light pattern is bad. If you don't retrofit to use HID kits then you have a massive amount of random beams of light going everywhere and not helping you at all and pissing off other drivers/law enforcement officials.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Love the new guy ricer mentality!!!

There is alot wrong with the cheap HID's you have on your car!!! Biggest one, illegal! Unless HID's were a factory item, they are illegal. Just like LED's, they are illegal unless it came from factory. This is a Federal law so applies to all states. I have been pulled over a few times because the tail lights on my Infiniti QX56 are LED's but they are stock. They have tried giving me a tickets before but after informing them how poorly it would look on him and his department for not knowing the law about something as simple as tail lights, I am usually free to go. One thing cops hate is someone who knows the laws better than them. HID's are unsafe for oncoming traffic due to the glare being blinding if they are not in the correct housings. Ebay product suck, I don't care how many newbs try to justify their purchase.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

According to all the state troopers here in ms, the only hid that's illegal is red.

New guy ricer mentality? Def not ricer. I don't care for all the blue and green and odd color headlights. The vision sucks. But white and amber colors are bright and work wonderfully. I've had no problems with law enforcement or other drivers. I love the new guy comment btw. Just Bc I'm fairly new here dont mean I'm new to the real world.

Op I reccomend white HIDs from eBay, cheap and great vision at night.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

According to all the state troopers here in ms, the only hid that's illegal is red.

New guy ricer mentality? Def not ricer. I've had no problems with law enforcement or other drivers. I love the new guy comment btw. Just Bc I'm fairly new here dont mean I'm new to the real world.

Op I reccomend white HIDs from eBay, cheap and great vision at night.
^^^ That last comment is why I called your a a newb ricer!!! I am not looking at your post count to make that determination, I am simply looking at your posted comments in this thread to come to that conclusion. You can try and justify cheap sub-par part all you want but when it boils down to it, there are garbage and you are jeopardizing other peoples safety. But hey who cares about the other people driving because you can see better!!! Honda's are the worst with glare. I can always tell when a civic w/ HID is coming because of the blinding glare. Go get your cousin to drive behind you for an hour and let me know how much you enjoyed his blinding lights in your rear view.

That is funny you mention MS because that is where I have had all of my problems and where I first learned law, so like I said a lot of cops don't know all the laws on safety equipment but I assure you they are illegal. It is illegal on a federal level, not state hence why the trooper are ignorant of the law.

So you recommend white HID's but what kelvin would you pick? Personally I am a 6300 kind of guy!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A buddy of mine has HIDs in his Rex and I haven't noticed a glare yet. Some people have problems and some don't.

It's called "to each his own"

Jepordizing safety? Lol Whatever. It's a waste of time to argue with you.

Have a good day.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A buddy of mine has HIDs in his Rex and I haven't noticed a glare yet. Some people have problems and some don't.

Have a good day.
You're blind. That is the issue with these PNP kits. Your putting them in lights that were never made to have HID's in them.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have a good day.
It most certainly is a safety issue.

Glare (a picture is worth a thousand words)

The difference between a focused beam and.....well, a DIY HID kit

Old 08-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But let me make this clear. I've onl used HIDs in my old crx and ef hatch. They have an adjustable feature to them. (at least mine did). Now I will admit I could be horribly wrong with the 92-2000 civics. My ej1 is a project. So i dont have a lot of experience with the 92-95 civics yet.
Now that I have that clear, I haven't even thought about or checked to see if the headlight housing is adjustable on these civics.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put your HIDs on a white wall at night. Then you'll see how much light is really scattered.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But let me make this clear. I've onl used HIDs in my old crx and ef hatch. They have an adjustable feature to them. (at least mine did). Now I will admit I could be horribly wrong with the 92-2000 civics. My ej1 is a project. So i dont have a lot of experience with the 92-95 civics yet.
Now that I have that clear, I haven't even thought about or checked to see if the headlight housing is adjustable on these civics.

Man, you can't adjust this with stock adjustments, you have to get a new light housing that focuses the beam
Old 08-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't even thought about or checked to see if the headlight housing is adjustable on these civics.
Adjusting the lights down defeat the purpose of improving the lighting system and does nothing to solve the problem with glare.

Can't argue with these ignorant kids, I'm out!!!

Quick Reply: Better Headlights???