Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

best way to get vtec to turn on sooner

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to get vtec to turn on sooner

i have a 97 civic ex and i know you can adjust the vtec to turn on sooner and i was just wondering whats the best or easyest way to do it. Thanks!!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: best way to get vtec to turn on sooner (spotscivic)

toggle switch, ecu chipped, or vtec controller.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:52 PM

vtec controller
Old 05-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: best way to get vtec to turn on sooner (94c1v1cex)

Please tell me you have a record breaking d-series that actually could benefit from changing the vtec crossover so I don't have to bang my head on my desk.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: best way to get vtec to turn on sooner (ek forever guy)

i'm thinking the same thing but i'm trying to be nice lately as you've seen in most of my posts lol
Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spotscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 97 civic ex and i know you can adjust the vtec to turn on sooner and i was just wondering whats the best or easyest way to do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You know that it can be done, but obviously you don't have a clue as to why it would be done.

Thus, you shouldn't do it.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94c1v1cex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm thinking the same thing but i'm trying to be nice lately as you've seen in most of my posts lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point, i'll turn the page eventually.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please tell me you have a record breaking d-series that actually could benefit from changing the vtec crossover so I don't have to bang my head on my desk.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah please tell us u do so this poor guy doesnt bang his had of the desk
Old 05-31-2007, 08:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good point, i'll turn the page eventually.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i'm almost there... i throw in a few a-hole responses to stupid questions. I just can't help myself sometimes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:36 PM

question..........why would you wanna change the vtec cross-over point?
wanting to do such thing just screams ricer to me. unless..........you have a ridiculously sicc motor. and even at that i still see no reason.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: best way to get vtec to turn on sooner (boots420)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boots420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">question..........why would you wanna change the vtec cross-over point?
wanting to do such thing just screams ricer to me. unless..........you have a ridiculously sicc motor. and even at that i still see no reason. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you see no reason then dont do it then haha....let the rest of us do it. The whole point of a honda/acura motor is VTEC itself bro. When honda/acura motors are in vtec thats when the motor is at its best. Why is honda/acura on the top? its because of there famous invention vtec. Why do you think the everybody else copied HONDA's idea of vtec, haven't you heard VVTI (toyota), ZETEC (Ford), and etc all vtec copies....guess your a noob bro.

spotscivic your a noob also so i will be light on you. First of all best way is to go with a chipped ECU. second im sure you still have your D motor which chipping a D is useless unless your built. Wait and build your motor or like 8/10 people swap to a B. Having a B-series motor opens up alot of doors and chipping the ECU to hit vtec earlier is just one of the many benefits bro.

Modified by bmoua at 10:04 PM 5/31/2007
Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: best way to get vtec to turn on sooner (bmoua)

just boost it and be done with it
Old 05-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think honda started vtec, i think they just made it obvious they used it in their cars. toyota or nissan started it not sure wich one.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Re: (jdm_dc_fan)

There is no point to making VTEC hit earlier on a barely to no mod engine, It is set to come on by honda at the correct spot for that motors best performance. You making it come on earlier is just making your motor in fact less efficient and its not going to give you mad tyte extra HP leave it be for now. If you mod internals higher compression etc. than you can start to contemplate changing vtec crossover point, But for now just go b, H, F, K Etc. Unless you boost a D they are pretty much useless and a waste of money.
Imo changing VTEC crossover on a non modded motor is abut as useful as making a VTEC light what the expletive is the point? Oh look guys im in VTEC I know because My CEL light cam on.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jhonny Ricer)

i gotta disagree dude. there are huge advanages of earlier vtec engagment. its a higher cam setting letting you get the engines full potential sooner. i have a vafc on my d-series and it makes a big diff. the only problem with some vtec contollers is that they dont control fuel settings so you dont really feel a differance. with a tuned vafc or something of the sort its deff worth the money. and did anyone ever stop to think mabye hes gonna mod the engine more later? if you havent tryed it how can you give advice? there are so many ways to change vtec settings and there is a reason why.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jdm_dc_fan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_dc_fan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think honda started vtec, i think they just made it obvious they used it in their cars. toyota or nissan started it not sure wich one.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

from what i heard it was honda. can anybody comment on this???
Old 06-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

dont change the crossover point because your car will not have the fuel enrichment for the cam lobe profiles, it wont be faster.

just dont.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jhonny Ricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jhonny Ricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Imo changing VTEC crossover on a non modded motor is abut as useful as making a VTEC light what the expletive is the point? Oh look guys im in VTEC I know because My CEL light cam on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i LOL'ed
Old 06-01-2007, 04:24 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (commotion)

[QUOTE=DCSportEJ1Civic]i gotta disagree dude. there are huge advanages of earlier vtec engagment. its a higher cam setting letting you get the engines full potential sooner. i have a vafc on my d-series and it makes a big diff. the only problem with some vtec contollers is that they dont control fuel settings so you dont really feel a differance. /QUOTE]

All hail two digit whp numbers.

ROFL, "Unleash to motor's Full Potential!!"

I think I might be sore tomorrow from laughing so hard.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=DCSportEJ1Civic]i gotta disagree dude. there are huge advanages of earlier vtec engagment. its a higher cam setting letting you get the engines full potential sooner. i have a vafc on my d-series and it makes a big diff. the only problem with some vtec contollers is that they dont control fuel settings so you dont really feel a differance. /QUOTE]

All hail two digit whp numbers.

ROFL, "Unleash to motor's Full Potential!!"

I think I might be sore tomorrow from laughing so hard.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You almost made it just couldn't be nice you tried but in the end you gave in thanks for the lol i needed this today
Old 06-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You almost made it just couldn't be nice you tried but in the end you gave in thanks for the lol i needed this today</TD></TR></TABLE>

The post was so terribly funny I just couldn't resist.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

from what i heard it was honda. can anybody comment on this???</TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe vtec made its debut in the NSX
Old 06-01-2007, 05:24 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (uNVmyEJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uNVmyEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i believe vtec made its debut in the NSX</TD></TR></TABLE>

In America it was the NSX. Worldy it was:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wikipedia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The VTEC system was originally introduced as a DOHC system in the 1989 Honda Integra and Civic CRX SiR models sold in Japan and Europe, which used a 160 bhp (119 kW) variant of the B16A engine. The US market saw the first VTEC system with the introduction of the 1990 Acura NSX, which used a DOHC VTEC V6 with 270 hp. DOHC VTEC engines soon appeared in other vehicles, such as the 1992 Acura Integra GS-R (B17 1.7 liter engine). And later in the 1994 Honda Prelude VTEC (H22 2.2 liter engine) and Honda Del Sol VTEC (B16 1.6 liter engine). </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure it was originally made by another company (cant think of which, and of course it wasnt called Vtec) just Honda made it known.

Honda used Vtec as a selling point, and seems to have worked pretty good.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Malakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sure it was originally made by another company (cant think of which, and of course it wasnt called Vtec) just Honda made it known.

Honda used Vtec as a selling point, and seems to have worked pretty good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ford (*sigh* unfortunatly ) had originally developed the idea of 2 seperate cam lobe profiles in the early 70s, during a gas crisis. Came as an idea of trying to keep both fuel economy and engine performance. The concept only remained on thier drawing boards tho, and never really made it to any of their cars at the time. Saw that on a history channel special on the history of sports cars. As stated earlier by EK forever, it was later picked up by honda and made known in its 1989 CRX/Si model with the B16.

Quick Reply: best way to get vtec to turn on sooner