Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic?

Going to do the first oil change on my Civic since I took ownership over the Holiday. Where is the best place under there to put the floor jack without doing damage? Where is the oil filter located on my motor? (Haven't looked it over yet! Too cold!)
Old 12-20-2004, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (Intercooler)

The toe hooks right under your front bumper and then put jackstands on the pinch welds which are right behind the front tires on both sides of the car.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (turbo_civic005)

dont use stock jacks to keep the car up.

i watched as one crumble and drop the car to the ground

definately use jack stands.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What type of jack? If its honda stock then do it from the sides, they have lifting points. If its an aftermarket jack that lifts pretty high, then you could use the Crossmember thats at the front of the car, but in the back of the bumper. If you look under the car then youll see it.

The oil filter is at the back of the motor, under the intake manifold.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (Luserkid)

Best thing to jack your car is if you have a lift. next to the welds are the circular indents. But some of us aren't graced with access to a lift when they please but the good jacks are the ones that have a flat surface.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (turbo_civic005)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo_civic005 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The toe hooks right under your front bumper and then put jackstands on the pinch welds which are right behind the front tires on both sides of the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ gets my vote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What type of jack? If its honda stock then do it from the sides, they have lifting points. If its an aftermarket jack that lifts pretty high, then you could use the Crossmember thats at the front of the car, but in the back of the bumper. If you look under the car then youll see it.

The oil filter is at the back of the motor, under the intake manifold. </TD></TR></TABLE>

NO! - you should absolutely not use the front crossmember as a jack point on a 96-01 civic.

I use the crossmember to jack up my EG's all the time. I bought an EK a while back and without even thinking I started jacking the car up by the front crossmember. Before I knew it, I had bent the lower subframe, ripped most of the spot-welds out, bent the upper radiator support and the vertical connecting piece between them. I had to resort to the BFH to get the upper radiator support back in place so my hood would line up again.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (JeffS)

Is that the lower rad support area where you lift the EG from just under the front bumper?? I lift my 97 coupe there all the time.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (97civicdx)

NEVER Leave the car on a jack. doesnt matter what kind it is. always use jackstands. my friends father lost his life and the car wasnt even on the jack for 2 mins. the jack just failed and it fell on him..

i jack up the car here. on the pinch welds

and place jack stands here
Old 12-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (JDMlyfestyle)

most you guys do it all wrong! Look in the service manual....

there is a jack point in the front, it's a little tab looking deal with 2 holes in it, under the rad support. And there's another jack point in the rear- the tow hook. The other jack points are the 4 points near the wheel wells on each side.

Best thing to do is jack up from the front/rear jack points and place stands on the sides. This is the safest and sturdiest way
Old 12-20-2004, 04:43 PM

I use tow hooks on the front, and use the rear crossmember on the back.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most you guys do it all wrong! Look in the service manual....

there is a jack point in the front, it's a little tab looking deal with 2 holes in it, under the rad support. And there's another jack point in the rear- the tow hook. The other jack points are the 4 points near the wheel wells on each side.

Best thing to do is jack up from the front/rear jack points and place stands on the sides. This is the safest and sturdiest way </TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said
Old 12-20-2004, 06:24 PM

its pretty hard to do that considering we mostly mod our cars. so a lowered car with a front lip will be pretty hard to get under.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its pretty hard to do that considering we mostly mod our cars. so a lowered car with a front lip will be pretty hard to get under.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agreed.

my buddies and i can't get our hydrolic jack under the car in the front, or the 2 sides. We used the stock car jack on one of the side, raise the car up a little, then use the hydrolic jack on the front. good combo. make sure to use jack stands on the sides though. i've slipped once using the stock jack to support.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:35 PM

Default Re: (handa)

if it is to low just get some wood boards and drive on top of them. then your hydralic jack will work. i thought everyone knew that
Old 12-20-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most you guys do it all wrong! Look in the service manual....

Best thing to do is jack up from the front/rear jack points and place stands on the sides. This is the safest and sturdiest way </TD></TR></TABLE>
absolutely right!!
Old 12-20-2004, 06:39 PM

Yes! Exactly what he said. I use the jack point in the front and jackstands on the front side lift points! I would never use the tow-hooks because they are more likely to bend and break which will cause the car to drop while lifting it up.

Oil filter is behind the engine right under the intake manifold just like LuserKid said!
Old 12-20-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Re: (crzyfool24)

O'yeah about the tow hooks - They are made to be pulled on from a horizontal pull as if your car is being towed away on a flatbed. They aren't made to support the weight of the car and thats why its not safe! Thats why they make lift points...
Old 12-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NEVER Leave the car on a jack. doesnt matter what kind it is. always use jackstands. my friends father lost his life and the car wasnt even on the jack for 2 mins. the jack just failed and it fell on him..

i jack up the car here. on the pinch welds

and place jack stands here
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm sorry about your friends father...
**** man... honestly. .I get under the car with a jack waaayyyy too ******* much.. ****.. i mean its a hydraulic jack, and i usually use a hondajack on the jacking points just incase.. but its still sketch.

I just got tired of lugging my jackstands around.

I'll go back to using the stands from now on though

btw those spots in your pic, I wouldn't use personally,
tow hooks, jacking points behind the wheels, or the one point on the front crossmember(on eg's at least) are the only spots I use.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:37 PM

I will be using a standard garage floor jack to get it off the ground but I have jack stands to rest it on. Another important note to those reading this on safety from my own experience...... DON'T USE THE STANDS THAT HAVE TEETH AND A CATCH OR LATCH TO ENGAGE THEM!!! I HAD ONE LET GO AT THE TEETH ONE TIME!!! ONLY USE THE TYPE WITH THE PINS YOU SLIDE THROUGH THE SUPPORT AND PUT A LATCH-PIN ON THE OTHER SIDE SO IT CAN'T COME OUT!!! THE ONLY TYPE OF STAND IN MY GARAGE NOW!!!

Hopefully I can find the jack points behind the front wheels to get it on the stands.

Please..... if you have anything other than a pin going through a hole for jack stands do like I did and just throw them in the trash! Your life is worth much more!
Old 12-21-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: (crzyfool24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crzyfool24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">O'yeah about the tow hooks - They are made to be pulled on from a horizontal pull as if your car is being towed away on a flatbed. They aren't made to support the weight of the car and thats why its not safe! Thats why they make lift points... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly... i used to jack the front at the two tow hooks in front but they bent so now i jack it from the lower radiator support which is pretty sturdy... and then leave the jack stands at the jack points right behind the front wheels. Does anyone have any other suggestions to where to jack from the front for an EG? The rear i just use the tow hook because the rear one is a lot stronger... and leave the jack stands at the jack points in front of the rear wheels .
Old 12-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by handa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my buddies and i can't get our hydrolic jack under the car in the front, or the 2 sides. We used the stock car jack on one of the side, raise the car up a little, then use the hydrolic jack on the front. good combo. make sure to use jack stands on the sides though. i've slipped once using the stock jack to support.</TD></TR></TABLE>

pretty much the same here. ive been jacking my car up from the front crossmember for a while and ive had no problems. jack from the front crossmember and put jackstands under either the front subframe or the frame rails that run the length of the car. if i need to get to the rear, ill jack from the rear member that connects the lca's, then use big *** jackstands on the framerails up under the trunk. if at any point im skeptical about jacking, ill use a piece of wood between the car and the floorjack to help dispurse the pressure to keep it from putting the jack through what im jacking from. i personally do not like getting under a car thats not on jackstands cause ive seen cars fall off jacks before. all my friends yell at me for not getting under it, but ill be damned to see them get under it either...
Old 12-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

toe hooks.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic? (JeffS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeffS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

NO! - you should absolutely not use the front crossmember as a jack point on a 96-01 civic.

I use the crossmember to jack up my EG's all the time. I bought an EK a while back and without even thinking I started jacking the car up by the front crossmember. Before I knew it, I had bent the lower subframe, ripped most of the spot-welds out, bent the upper radiator support and the vertical connecting piece between them. I had to resort to the BFH to get the upper radiator support back in place so my hood would line up again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So please tell me why Honda says to use it in there manuals ?

What ever you people do, do not place a jack stand under a tow hook, the tow hook will bend and the jack stand will probably fall off.

There are a few places you could jack the car up by, its recommended to jack it up by the pinch welds but you could also jack it up by a lower control arm or even the frame. Its kind of hard to jack it up my the pinch welds and fit a jack stand underneath as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Intercooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will be using a standard garage floor jack to get it off the ground but I have jack stands to rest it on. Another important note to those reading this on safety from my own experience...... DON'T USE THE STANDS THAT HAVE TEETH AND A CATCH OR LATCH TO ENGAGE THEM!!! I HAD ONE LET GO AT THE TEETH ONE TIME!!! ONLY USE THE TYPE WITH THE PINS YOU SLIDE THROUGH THE SUPPORT AND PUT A LATCH-PIN ON THE OTHER SIDE SO IT CAN'T COME OUT!!! THE ONLY TYPE OF STAND IN MY GARAGE NOW!!!

Hopefully I can find the jack points behind the front wheels to get it on the stands.

Please..... if you have anything other than a pin going through a hole for jack stands do like I did and just throw them in the trash! Your life is worth much more!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm never heard that happen or had it happen. All craftsman jack stand are made with the teeth, what kind do you have ? I always place the jack under one side, so it barely touches the frame just in case a jack stand were to give out.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ramps. For sure. If not ramps, then drive one wheel up a curb.

Or, get one of those big electromagnets they use on cranes for lifting junked vehicles in a recycling plant. Mount that on the ceiling of your carport.

Quick Reply: Best spot to place floor jack on my Civic?