Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

which is best? skunk2, blox, or brian crower cam shafts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which is best? skunk2, blox, or brian crower cam shafts?

ok im here to see a review of wat and get results of which one i wanted to buy. i know skunk2 is pricey and i dont have that much of a budget but will reconsider. so to the people who has alot of experience with these cams plz plz plz plz let me know which is best to get..
Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: which is best? skunk2, blox, or brian crower cam shafts?

what is ur plan for the car first of all what motor u asked a vague question
Old 01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

skunk 2 all the way
Old 01-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what motor?
whats ur whp goal?
what type of mods u have or plan to do?

NEED MORE INFO
Old 01-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

skunk2 is pretty good
Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bisimoto ftw
Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this makes me sad to own a honda. upgrading cam(s) should be determined by your needs and power goals. and how you want your power band. dont be a ricer and buy cams just because they are big and sound cool. they will only make your car slower untuned and on a stock motor. if its a stock engine leave it alone. gsr/type R/ctr cams are big enough... but id say dont go too big it will only hurt you unless its a high comp built motor or turbo motor. get correct application (type) and size to fit your need and TUNE IT. but out of them all (BLOX IS PRETTY MUCH COPY OF BC AND SOME S2) but BC is kinda over kill and S2 is meh. why dont you get some legit cams? STOP BEING A RICER
Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by owneyboy
this makes me sad to own a honda. upgrading cam(s) should be determined by your needs and power goals. and how you want your power band. dont be a ricer and buy cams just because they are big and sound cool. they will only make your car slower untuned and on a stock motor. if its a stock engine leave it alone. gsr/type R/ctr cams are big enough... but id say dont go too big it will only hurt you unless its a high comp built motor or turbo motor. get correct application (type) and size to fit your need and TUNE IT. but out of them all (BLOX IS PRETTY MUCH COPY OF BC AND SOME S2) but BC is kinda over kill and S2 is meh. why dont you get some legit cams? STOP BEING A RICER
duude get off his D... he's just asking a question. Like everyone else said... it really depends how much money you have to spend, If your going N/A Build or your Turbo-ing it, and how much of a power gain you want, some valve terrain with your cams and a proper tune, will probably get you too the right direction of power your looking for..
Old 01-06-2012, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by composurey
duude get off his D... he's just asking a question. Like everyone else said... it really depends how much money you have to spend, If your going N/A Build or your Turbo-ing it, and how much of a power gain you want, some valve terrain with your cams and a proper tune, will probably get you too the right direction of power your looking for..
im sorry but the guy above u is right most people out there upgrade cams because they saw that in super street or honda tuning. They don't even tune the car afterwards and this guy is doing thesame thing how do i know? When building a motor u atleast build your goal for what you are doing on what motor not. UHHH IS SK2 Better than Crower thats such a vague question
Old 01-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i will say, the only thing Blox is good for is shift *****, radiator stays, and oil caps..

everything else is garbage.

Ive tried alot of their products only to have to replace it down the road..

If i lived near their facility, i would dump all their shitty parts right on their door step!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks. by the way i have a b18c1 em1.. looking to gain some power i already got cam gears installed,stage 3 compettion clutch,hasport mounts, race headers, full cat, intake manifold, light wieght pully and an intake. just looking to see which cams i should go with. im building a non turbo build. hoping to gain some more power after i get enough feed back on which cam shafts are better. then after gettin that all done i shall get it tuned.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any more results? help a honda fan out.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you won't make power cheaply if you don't even know what cams are good you won't make any power because you have not reaserched anything
Old 01-13-2012, 01:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, cams alone won't give you more power. Doesn't matter what cam you get, if you don't have other work done, and you don't get it tuned.

Here's an introduction to cams and what the numbers mean, so you can start learning before you jump into something that might do more harm than good down the road. Yes, I did steal it from another forum. I'm just cross-posting it since I don't know the rules on posting links to other honda forums.

Duration- is the number of degrees of the crank rotation that the valve is held open by a cam (don’t forget that the cam spins at half the speed that the crank spins at). A general rule of thumb is that the more duration the cam has, the more top-end power it will create, and this does cause you to lose low-end power. The more duration the cam has the more the valve will stay open during the cranks rotation. The longer the valve stays open the longer the time the cylinder can be filled. This is important at high rpm, since there is less and less time for the cylinder to fill.

Lift- is the height that the valve is lifted of the valve seat. Usually the more lift (with in reason) as the higher the valve is lifted the more flow that can go by. Look at it this way, if you have your window open half way you let in less air then if the window is open ¾ of the way. The draw back to having more lift is that the valve opening and closing speeds become high increasing the chance of valve float. This is why you should upgrade to stiffer valve springs if the cams lift is moderately aggressive.

Overlap- is the point at which both intake valves and exhaust valves are open at the same time (at the end of the exhaust stroke and the beginning of the intake stroke). Overlap is important, because having both intake and exhaust valves open at the same time creates better scavenging of stale exhaust to occur. This is because the flow from the head into the cylinder (from the intake valves) creates a good push to get rid of stale exhaust out of the cylinder. Just like anything though, too much of a good thing is bad. If you get to much overlap the flow from the intake valves will push gas out of the cylinder before it has been used, thus wasting fuel, which equates to power. One more draw back of to much overlap is reversion into the intake ports. Reversion is when fuel/air is pushed back into the intake ports. This reversion causes intake charge dilution at low rpm as the backflow in the intake port gets in the way of cylinder filling. Two things will occur because of this, cylinder pressure becomes poor at low speeds because of the incomplete filling and the fuel/air intake charge becomes diluted because of air rushing back into the intake ports causes low speed misfire. This is why aggressive cams that have big overlapping, create a ruff loopy idle. This misfiring causes the motor to skip a beat in rhythmic fashion at idle and low rpm. Usually firing once every four revolutions when the cylinder gets enough fuel to touch off. This occurrence is called 8-storking, because of the misfiring and the car skipping a beat it fires every other stroke of the 4-stroke cycle.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hmonguy918
ok im here to see a review of wat and get results of which one i wanted to buy. i know skunk2 is pricey and i dont have that much of a budget but will reconsider. so to the people who has alot of experience with these cams plz plz plz plz let me know which is best to get..
Buying cams, going n/a, and low budget do not belong in the same sentence.

If you can't afford skunk2, can you afford to get the car tuned? Can you afford the springs/retainers that will be needed?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

race headers? you got multiples huh?

contact All motor on here. get them from him.
you got enough for a tune but sk2 cams are spendy? have you priced out how much the tune will cost? also you're just gonna run it on the stock valve train?
blox is junk, and BC is junk IIRC.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Buddy Club is definitely not junk.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think he was referring to brian crower, not buddy club. brian crower stuff isn't exactly junk in my opinion. i have had a set, and a friend has them also. no problems with quality of them. they just aren't that great in terms of power production compared to skunk2.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ah, that makes sense. Crower definitely isn't ****, either.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

didn't mean buddy club.

and between crower and Brian crower. one of them is the lesser i just cant remember which one because i don't deal with either. nor do i see alot of use of either.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

AFAIK, Crower is more known for their big block work. The few muscle heads I know swear by them. BC is a fine name as well, more known for import work. I wouldn't consider either company "lesser".
Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were you, before you buy anything you should do more research first, like everyone else said what are your goals (hp, is it gona be used for street/track etc).

Also if I were you id invest in a ecu first like hondata s300 or if you have the money an aem , you can also use neptune or crome, but id reccomend hondata

For your setup, If your on a tight budget, go for itr cams, if you have some money the MOST I would go is stage 2. And since your putting cams in you might aswell upgrade your springs/retainers and if you want your valves. After you have everything installed you should get it tuned asap, thats where youll see most of your power come out. Gl with your build
Old 01-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still debating but um thanks guys. thanks alot. yes, i am getting springs and retainers with the cams. tuning is easy, i got a shop whos going to tune it for me. the shop is the one that chipped my ecu (chrome) so im having him tune it for me. this build that im building is a street/ track car. ok now time for more research.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright. finally decided and got me some brian crower cams. theres one problem. i bought it used from someone and the cams dont come with serial numbers and the bc engraved in it. did i get jipped? bought it for 60 bucks. i measured it with my cailper and the way it is is bigger and everything but there is no no engraving on it.

Quick Reply: which is best? skunk2, blox, or brian crower cam shafts?