Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best Hondata tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Hondata tune?

I have a 1992 civic Hatch si. and im planning on doing some mods, intake, headers, tbs, and a few others, and my friends tell me theres no point to do it if you dont get a tune, So im wondering which tune would be the best? It has a D16z6 motor.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Best Hondata tune?

The "best?" Leave it stock, or build/boost it.

You are wasting your money putting bolt-on's on it, not to mention Hondata is overkill for that. The "best tune" would be done by a professional, on a dyno.

it is true without a tune you wont get the most of out the upgrades, however for simple bolt ons it's not required. Reccomended, but not required.

do some research before you spend a ton of money for nothing.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^
Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not looking for any huge gains, Just a little more then what i have now, I didnt even run the car yet so im not sure what it gets, I had a 2000 honda civic dx, It had headers, air intake, and plug wires, I beat a 2007 Civic dx with a full exhaust, hondata,cams, and intake. and i also beat a 2002 civic dx, both have more hp, and the hatch i have now pulls a lot harder then my dx, the car is bone stock, so i was planning on putting the bolt on parts to the test, if i dont see any gains, ill put it back to stock.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If thats what you would like to do then go ahead man, nobody is stopping you. We are just trying too save you a little cash on such minimal gains. But to each his own.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So stock is the way to go if i dont want to swap it? I have a friend selling an ebay turbo for my motor, but from what I heard they are a waste of money, If i could get the turbo for 300-500 bucks do you guys think its worth it?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For a d series bolt ons are not very responsive and a waste of money. Im not much into the forced induction scene but Ive heard ebay turbos are really cheaply made. You can send them somewhere to get rebuilt too.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac-hatch
Im not looking for any huge gains, Just a little more then what i have now, I didnt even run the car yet so im not sure what it gets, I had a 2000 honda civic dx, It had headers, air intake, and plug wires, I beat a 2007 Civic dx with a full exhaust, hondata,cams, and intake. and i also beat a 2002 civic dx, both have more hp, and the hatch i have now pulls a lot harder then my dx, the car is bone stock, so i was planning on putting the bolt on parts to the test, if i dont see any gains, ill put it back to stock.
You beat a 2002 DX where?
Dont tell me you are street racing?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So stock is the way to go if i dont want to swap it? I have a friend selling an ebay turbo for my motor, but from what I heard they are a waste of money, If i could get the turbo for 300-500 bucks do you guys think its worth it?
Yes and no. Look up a vitara/eagle setup. Fairly cheap, and can easily make ~350+HP, with the proper supporting mods of course.

IMO, ebay turbo kits are a waste of money. They are low quality, and very hit or miss.

I have seen ebay turbos fail within a few weeks. When you figure in the cost of buying 2, you probualy could have bought one quality turbo.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

98civdx

Told you all you need to know man,

You ask for advice TAKE THE ADVICE from people that have been around the block.!

Stack your paper keep it stock and build your self a turbo motor that will satisfy your power needs,pocket limits.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well those are DX trims with the shittiest motors of their generation to begin with. The 92-95 and 96-00 Civics have the most experiments and trial+error so finding the most power out of those generations has been progressive, the 01-05 and the 06-11 aren't as experimented.

If we're talking D-series engines here..... Intake, Headers, Cams, Exhaust are all accessories basically. If you want real power out of your D-series and don't want to motorswap, turbocharge it.

Honda Civic's are Civic/Civil/Civilian cars, they're not based off of a sport vehicle chassis. They're small engines that with a $200 Intake, $600 Exhaust, $500 Header, and $300 cam, will not get you more than 30hp at best, maybe not even 25hp. Also, throttle body's on a D are horrible, not worth it.

Why waste ~$1500 on modifications to get so little power when you can turbocharge your D-series for near the same amount +-~$1000 (plus or minus another grand) and get 50-150 more hp? You have an amazing canvas to start with, a 92-95 hatch is very lightweight, is OBD1, and you've got a VTEC motor, so that's a good easy start.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No such thing as a "best" tune. That you're asking this question illustrates that you need to do a lot more reading and research and less talking to friends that obviously don't know what they are talking about.

With bolt-ons you're looking at maybe 10 horsepower gain and loss of torque.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
You beat a 2002 DX where?
Dont tell me you are street racing?
No, On an actual quarter mile.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like the above poster said, boost or nothing. No point in N/A with the D series. Get a B16A2 or B18C if you want N/A
Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A lot of people have their own perspective point of view about d series. Me on the other hand, I'll pick a d series any day over a b series. why? gas saver and fun to beat down! especially when you beat a b series, first thing they're obviously thinking you're swap. when i had my a6 in my ef, man i was hauling ***. almost "most" of the b series swap with just minor bolts on like i had. anyways, i'm just blabbering on. do whatever you like. bolts on now, and save money for turbo later down the road. or just swap for show like the rest of all the HT'ers.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, On an actual quarter mile.
Much props...slow car beating slow cars

leave it stock...build/boost...swap <-----pick one
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even with a swap it will be slow.. B16a's arent the best choice.. but people are still brainwashed that they are great. B18c cost so much for a complete swap, its better to boost the D thats in it (if its healthy enough to handle it)

D series engines are built for economy, not speed. all the bolt ons in the world will not make it quick. you can do a 50-65 shot of nitrous. that way you have MPG's and power on demand. Under 700 bucks for kit and tune isnt bad.

my .02
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

some of the newer dx models wouldnt fall out of a tree if u cut the rope but alot of them are made so u can bold a turbo right to the head
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^If you're referring to the new R18, that's kind of true, but the OP has a D series.

I don't think you'll see many gains from the I/H/E on your D series, but if you're insistent on tuning it, look into Crome...its much cheaper than Hondata and offers all the features you'll need. Its been a while since i've bought an ECU from Xenocron or JK Tuning, but they used to offer basemaps for setups at a small charge. A chipped ECU and one of their basemaps should do the trick on a simple NA d series...and will still cost less than half what Hondata does
Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet! whatever I get done over the winter, im going to save up from spring to summer and go over to nova scotia and hopefully get it tuned by a shop, I have a friend that just got stage 2 put in his cobalt, Insane! So what is the best site to look for the crome tune?

Last edited by Mac-hatch; 11-13-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
^^If you're referring to the new R18, that's kind of true, but the OP has a D series.

I don't think you'll see many gains from the I/H/E on your D series, but if you're insistent on tuning it, look into Crome...its much cheaper than Hondata and offers all the features you'll need. Its been a while since i've bought an ECU from Xenocron or JK Tuning, but they used to offer basemaps for setups at a small charge. A chipped ECU and one of their basemaps should do the trick on a simple NA d series...and will still cost less than half what Hondata does
i was talking about the ones where u take off the mani and there is just a square hole just like a turbo mani 4 bolts and i mean a square hole in the head
Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Retired Moderator

^^

show us some pics.. im interested
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stop asking about "best" tunes, and "best" places to find tunes. There is no such thing as a "best" tune to just download and put on your car. If you're downloading it to put it in your car, it's called a basemap. Basemaps are made to get a modified car safely to a tuner, to have it professionally (and correctly) tuned.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by civicguy395
i was talking about the ones where u take off the mani and there is just a square hole just like a turbo mani 4 bolts and i mean a square hole in the head
Yes, that's the R18...the replacement for the D series. Its the single cam in the new Civics.

This thread has the full story if you're interested, but in the interest of keeping this thread clean, here's a pic...back to the topic at hand.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...&highlight=r18

Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Retired Moderator

Yes yes, back on topic..

IMHO, if you dont change cams, pistons, or any parts to change the AFR, leave it alone. The ECU will make the proper fuel trims for the IAT's and such. All the IHE is doing is letting it breathe better.

Another plus to leaving it alone is if you do decide to tune it, any changes you do to it will require a re-tune at 125 a pop.
So, make your decision if you really want to spend your $$ and future $$.

Do a 50 shot, change ur plugs, maybe timing retard. all for under 400 bucks.

Quick Reply: Best Hondata tune?