Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best head for my setup???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best head for my setup???

I have the option to swap my gsr head for a 00 b16 (both stock valvetrains) head w/ 98 spec itr cams, intake manifold, and ls throttle body OR i can keep my gsr head use the itr cams and get a type r style manifold and use the ls throttle body. My bottom end has .25 over jdm itr pistons w/ type r flywheel. Which would be best for my setup?

Sorry for such a noob question but i have been back and forth on this fifty times and im just not sure.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Best head for my setup??? (carjacker006)

Most people on HT will tell you the B16 head flows better and when it's combined with the B18C block, you have a poor man's type r. The amount of flow gained or lost by using either head might not be something actually felt on the 'ol butt dyno since you're going to be using the same cams and intake manifold/tb in either head. If it was me, I'd go the cheaper route. If you have to pay for the B16 head, and you're B18's complete and running, I'd just change the bolt on components. You have a running car and it would be faster to change the cams, etc. so your car isn't out of commission as long because if you get a new head, you might want to get it cleaned, resurfaced, pressure checked, etc. That just adds more time and money to the project. I guess if you have a choice between the two, and the head was already taken off your motor and money is not an issue, I'd go with the B16 head. But like I said earlier, if the B18's complete, I'd just leave it and change the bolt on stuff. Just make sure you check on the intake manifold if you're going to use the B18 head, since it uses that dual stage intake manifold and the tb is in a different location than the ITR. You might need a different throttle cable and other parts to make it work. BTW I have a B18 96 spec block with a B16A head on my car just to make things more confusing for ya!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Best head for my setup??? (ej14life)

I already have both heads, the gsr is on my car. If i go b16 i will need to buy head gasket, and throttle cable w/ bracket, plus i will have to spend a day in the shop swapping the heads. If stick with my gsr i will have to buy type r style manifold, and throttle cable w/ bracket, but i wont have labor through swapping heads. My question is, Is it gonna be worth swapping on the b16 and losing a little compression, or keep the gsr and just get the intake manifold?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Best head for my setup??? (crackerjacker006)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crackerjacker006 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Is it gonna be worth swapping on the b16 and losing a little compression, or keep the gsr and just get the intake manifold?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure how you would be losing compression by going to B16 head unless you milled the B18 head. The main difference between the two heads is the flow design. The combustion domes are the same. If your worried about losing compression by going to the B16 head, you could always use a Mugen or Spoon head gasket. Those gaskets are slightly thinner than the OEM Honda gasket and will raise your compression ratio slightly.

I guess if your going to go with all type r stuff, you might as well go with the B16 head and make a poor man's type r. Just a suggestion, since your going to change the cams, you might want to upgrade your valve springs to protect yourself from overrev and valve float if you haven't already. I would do this on either head. Actually, if you keep the B18 head, technically you could just replace the intake valve springs with an extra set of GSR exhaust springs cuz the 98 to 2000 USDM type r uses the GSR exhaust valve springs all around. In 2001, there is actually a different part number for the intake valve springs.

But then again you COULD get away without replacing the springs but since you have the head off it wouldn't hurt and it might save time in the future.