Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best clutch/flywheel replacement on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best clutch/flywheel replacement on a budget?

As the title states, I am looking for the best clutch and flywheel replacement for under around $200.

95 Civic with the D16Z6, completely stock. Currently the car shakes coming out of any gear, also shakes when giving light throttle at any speed without the clutch engaged and the clutch engages within the first half inch of pedal. Fluid is also contaminated with what looks like motor oil. Anyways, this is my only vehicle for work and also my daily driver. I have no real plans for adding power as this motor has over 200k on it. A few of my buddies suggested the XTD Stage 2 or Stage 3 clutch and flywheel kit on eBay for around $160 but I have read bad stuff about that brand, ESPECIALLY their stage 1 kit. I have $200 to spend when I get paid and my car is almost becoming undrivable. I just need it to be reliable and maybe a little fun to drive.

What do you guys suggest for a reliable clutch kit on a budget?
Old 03-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Best clutch/flywheel replacement on a budget?

quick search on rockauto gets me in lower than your friends $160. Can't go wrong with rockauto for a 95 civic.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 09chaplak
quick search on rockauto gets me in lower than your friends $160. Can't go wrong with rockauto for a 95 civic.
Thank you, just created a cart with Exedy clutch, flywheel and timken clutch release bearing for $180 after shipping. OEM is the way to go for stock power.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by anothercb7
Thank you, just created a cart with Exedy clutch, flywheel and timken clutch release bearing for $180 after shipping. OEM is the way to go for stock power.
Good combo right there, can't go wrong.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Good combo right there, can't go wrong.
I want the car to be reliable mostly. I may do some cosmetic mods (does have some cancer on the quarter panel and the hood needs to be replaced), lower it a little and put some wheels on her. Just to look good and be a good daily driver.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

I want the car to be reliable mostly. I may do some cosmetic mods (does have some cancer on the quarter panel and the hood needs to be replaced), lower it a little and put some wheels on her. Just to look good and be a good daily driver.
As opposed to this, where it can go wrong. Very wrong.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 09chaplak
As opposed to this, where it can go wrong. Very wrong.
Don't worry, I am not talking about slamming it. I just want it to sit nice with some good looking wheels and maybe a few suspension upgrades to allow it to handle better.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

I shant worry
Old 03-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're not going to slap some 17in rims on there are you? Cuz, that's going to look horrible.
Tein s tech, 15in wheels. Done. Simple, mild drop.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

18in chrome spinners or go home
Old 03-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Autozone spinning hubcaps special edition. With spikes.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
18in chrome spinners or go home
Oh HELL no. Lol

Originally Posted by civic402lx
You're not going to slap some 17in rims on there are you? Cuz, that's going to look horrible.
Tein s tech, 15in wheels. Done. Simple, mild drop.
Largest wheels I would go with would be 16s. Anything more than that makes me want to vomit.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To me, even 16 look out of place.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

As the title states, I am looking for the best clutch and flywheel replacement for under around $200.

95 Civic with the D16Z6, completely stock. Currently the car shakes coming out of any gear, also shakes when giving light throttle at any speed without the clutch engaged and the clutch engages within the first half inch of pedal. Fluid is also contaminated with what looks like motor oil. Anyways, this is my only vehicle for work and also my daily driver. I have no real plans for adding power as this motor has over 200k on it. A few of my buddies suggested the XTD Stage 2 or Stage 3 clutch and flywheel kit on eBay for around $160 but I have read bad stuff about that brand, ESPECIALLY their stage 1 kit. I have $200 to spend when I get paid and my car is almost becoming undrivable. I just need it to be reliable and maybe a little fun to drive.

What do you guys suggest for a reliable clutch kit on a budget?

I have been rocking a stage 3 clutch with their 8lb flywheel for the last 6000 HARD miles with only 1 issue in the beginning. The T/O bearing was noisy and continued after break in. I emailed XTD and they sent me a replacement bearing NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Done and done. This is a good kit for the price, don't just listen to all the negative. Hell, I can tell you by reading what I am sure to have been hundreds of thousands of reviews on various products that most people don't review anything unless they have a bad experience. (That's a whole other topic though).

Anywho.. XTD is great for the money. Have they had some issues? Yeah. So have comp clutch, ACT, exedy, etc. I have purchased units from those 3 that went **** up too and a buddy of mine had a fidanza flywheel self destruct on him. Lemme tell ya, flywheel ring gear is no good hurling through the air from an 8k RPM takeoff.. Like having a ******* claymore detonate in your engine bay. Thank God he didn't have a passenger..
Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

+1 on the Exedy clutch and flywheel for a stock car, and another +1 for Rock Auto! I installed one in my old EH9 and loved every bit of it. However, I have "heard" that the disk springs can break from their perches, but that was from someone who regularly abuses his car...

If the clutch goes in my EJ6, that's the clutch kit I'll be installing!

P.S. Don't put that thing back together without replacing the rear main seal!

Have you tried bleeding the clutch? Using a MityVac, you can bleed the whole system in less than 5 minutes. Ya never know, you might not even need a clutch.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I have been rocking a stage 3 clutch with their 8lb flywheel for the last 6000 HARD miles with only 1 issue in the beginning. The T/O bearing was noisy and continued after break in. I emailed XTD and they sent me a replacement bearing NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Done and done. This is a good kit for the price, don't just listen to all the negative. Hell, I can tell you by reading what I am sure to have been hundreds of thousands of reviews on various products that most people don't review anything unless they have a bad experience. (That's a whole other topic though).

Anywho.. XTD is great for the money. Have they had some issues? Yeah. So have comp clutch, ACT, exedy, etc. I have purchased units from those 3 that went **** up too and a buddy of mine had a fidanza flywheel self destruct on him. Lemme tell ya, flywheel ring gear is no good hurling through the air from an 8k RPM takeoff.. Like having a ******* claymore detonate in your engine bay. Thank God he didn't have a passenger..
True, I think I am just gonna stick with the stock Exedy setup for now because the car makes stock power and I have no plans to build this one.

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
+1 on the Exedy clutch and flywheel for a stock car, and another +1 for Rock Auto! I installed one in my old EH9 and loved every bit of it. However, I have "heard" that the disk springs can break from their perches, but that was from someone who regularly abuses his car...

If the clutch goes in my EJ6, that's the clutch kit I'll be installing!

P.S. Don't put that thing back together without replacing the rear main seal!

Have you tried bleeding the clutch? Using a MityVac, you can bleed the whole system in less than 5 minutes. Ya never know, you might not even need a clutch.
I bled it for an hour and the pedal got a little more stiff but other than that it still is crap. Its got 200k on it and the tranny bolts have never even been broken loose so I think its about that time. And oh yeah, rear main will be going in too, ordered that along with everything else.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:25 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

You bled the clutch for an hour? How'd you manage that?