Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

best brake upgrade???rear disks or better pads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best brake upgrade???rear disks or better pads?

okay well i recently got in a wreck and have always felt that my brakes werent that good. whenever i drove anyone elses car their brakes seemed so much better...*mostly newer cars*..it seemed like they could stop much better

since my wreck ive been thinking maybe i should upgrade my brakes to stop better but i hear rear disc brakes hardly make a difference???

so would it be better to go with some hardcore front pads like hawk hps/hp+ or would i be better off spending 300ish and getting a full rear disc conversion?

thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: best brake upgrade???rear disks or better pads?

Originally Posted by jxhxb
okay well i recently got in a wreck and have always felt that my brakes werent that good. whenever i drove anyone elses car their brakes seemed so much better...*mostly newer cars*..it seemed like they could stop much better

since my wreck ive been thinking maybe i should upgrade my brakes to stop better but i hear rear disc brakes hardly make a difference???

so would it be better to go with some hardcore front pads like hawk hps/hp+ or would i be better off spending 300ish and getting a full rear disc conversion?

thanks
Drum brakes suck *****... When done right the rear disc makes a world of difference. The analogy I always use to compare drum to disc is take a quarter. One person grips it as hard as they can on the faces of the coin (disc brakes) as another grips it as hard as they can by the edges (drum brakes). Now pull, who wins every time, the disc brakes guys.

I'd do a rear disc conversion, get some good rotors and nice ceramic pads, along with an upgraded booster/MC and of course a 40/40 prop valve, you WILL notice a difference for sure.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:55 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: best brake upgrade???rear disks or better pads?

you will notice a big difference with good pads too, especially over whatever lifetime warranty crap they sell at Autozone.

I've had the EBC Greenstuff, which were *excellent* stoppers, but very squeaky until they heated up, and very dusty. I was sick of that, so I replaced them with Autozone junk. After 2 years with those, I was sick of having no stopping power, so I pulled them off... They looked completely unworn after 2 years of driving.

I replaced them with Hawk HPS. Not so squeaky as the EBC, still lots of dust, but very good stopping power... possibly not quite as good as the EBC, but it's a worthwhile trade to lose all the noise. The difference is night and day between the autozone generic pads. Unlike the Autozone pads, the Hawks (and the EBCs for that matter) can lock up my front wheels on dry pavement. Not necessarily a good thing lol, but it illustrates the difference.

There's a reason they can sell pads with lifetime warranties, that last 7-8+ years. If the pads aren't wearing down, then they're not doing a very good job at stopping. I definitely recommend the Hawks. You'll be replacing them every few years, but the difference in safety is worth it.