Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best 62mm Intake (B18C) on EG chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 62mm Intake (B18C) on EG chassis?

Guys,
I know this question has probably been beaten to death, but I searched on the EG/Hybrid/Type-R Forums and was unable to find an answer.

ITR engine (62mm throttle body) in an EG chassis. Beside the whale ***** one, what other intakes (non CAI) would you guys recommend?

I bought a brand new intake from someone locally, but the opening of the intake is a bit smaller than the throttle body on my motor. I could adapt it, but I'd like to use something made for the ITR's 62mm TB.

What are your suggestions?

Thank you,

-Walter
Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best 62mm Intake (B18C) on EG chassis?

TTT
Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

find an aem v2 drop the lower elbow places the filter next to the block code up higher so no hydralock
Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Information Leafblower

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mugen.

Hands down the best you can buy. You can also try the Comptech Icebox. Not as good as the Mugen, but still a great intake.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AEM ITR 3" intake. (CAI Sytle). You will have an awesome looking powerband and the VTEC crossover is extremely loud. I will post a graph after I tune my ITR setup with that intake and several other bolt-on's.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Originally Posted by 89t-rex
find an aem v2 drop the lower elbow places the filter next to the block code up higher so no hydralock
Thanks for the advice, I looked up this picture and I think I see what you're suggesting.

Originally Posted by bluebomber
Mugen.

Hands down the best you can buy. You can also try the Comptech Icebox. Not as good as the Mugen, but still a great intake.
Interesting. I looked both up and I found the Comptech Icebox you're referring to. I am a bit confused on the Mugen one, though. I see different solutions. Are you referring to the unit that looks very close to the factory airbox (with yellow conical filter) or the cylindrical glossy black unit? Do you have pics or part numbers I could use to narrow down the search? And where would you recommend to buy it? Being Mugen, I expect it to be very pricey.

Originally Posted by Mr. EG
AEM ITR 3" intake. (CAI Sytle). You will have an awesome looking powerband and the VTEC crossover is extremely loud. I will post a graph after I tune my ITR setup with that intake and several other bolt-on's.
Are you referring to the one 89t-rex mentioned?

Thanks again.

-Walter
Old 02-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, research under the All Motor forum.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hah. have fun with that money waste on mugen.

but a cheap ebay 3 in pipe short ram, a velocity stack and a decent filter(not the ebay one). that is the proven best intake. after that a tuned length will make it better.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
but a cheap ebay 3 in pipe short ram, a velocity stack and a decent filter(not the ebay one). that is the proven best intake. after that a tuned length will make it better.
Thanks for your input. I had the impression that velocity stacks were used in place of filters. How would you go about using a velocity stack + filter?

-Walter
Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope. i bought a kanN 6 in inlet filter. goes around the end of the bell. its nice.
like this.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Generic 3" intake pipe w/ BPi stack and a K&N filter. Its proven itself time and time again on the 1.8's to make power over every intake on the market, with exception to the 3" AEM CAI. I have one for the track and untuned the top end is completely different over my whale ***** for DDing.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Information Leafblower

Originally Posted by Red_Army
hah. have fun with that money waste on mugen.

It's not a waste of money. It makes great power with no heat soak.

Originally Posted by DSMAddicted
I looked both up and I found the Comptech Icebox you're referring to. I am a bit confused on the Mugen one, though. I see different solutions. Are you referring to the unit that looks very close to the factory airbox (with yellow conical filter) or the cylindrical glossy black unit? Do you have pics or part numbers I could use to narrow down the search? And where would you recommend to buy it? Being Mugen, I expect it to be very pricey.
The Mugen piece looks like the cylindrical glossy unit. You're going to want the one that fits the DC2. It will fit your car without a problem since you have a B-swap. Mugen part number is: 17200-XG9R-K1S0
Old 02-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

only problem is you buy the mugen your paying twice as much for a little emblem wit that japanese lettering under it.... get the aem v2 or just do a stock box with an em1 midpipe and a k&n filter.....
Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Information Leafblower

Well, the OP asked what the best intake was, not what the cheapest was. He didn't say money was an issue or else I would have recommended something else, like modifying the existing air box by removing the resonator, adding a K&N filter and an ITR rubber arm from the box to throttle body.

There's a lot of good intakes out there, but only a few that I would call the best.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i must admit you are correct he didnt state a price but i never let a fellow tuner waste money on something as silly as a "name brand" lol so many other options in the long run.... besides at the end of the day you compare all the real and fakes intakes... whats 2 hp on a stock c5???
Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Guys,
I really appreciate all of your input. I think I know which route I will be going (short ram + BPi stack and K&N filter).

Yes, I did not mention whether or not money was a determining factor. I guess it always is, but I was willing to spend the extra money if the product offered tangible advantages over cheaper solutions. It seems like the short-ram/stack/filter is a solid and proven solution that happens to cost under half of other ones like Mugen/WhalePenis etc, so I will try that first.

Thanks again for the input,

-Walter
Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, thats a good route. I also have a 3 inch short ram pipe (custom cut from generic bent tubing) with the Blox velocity stack+6 inch filter combo. This setup has the best proven gains. Tuned length helps though, I saw on the dyno that I get the most power and smoothest powerband when I lengthen the tubing more, and take off the filter. So when I go to the track, I put on an extra 2 inches of tubing I have (with couplers) and run a straight velocity stack with no filter (the filter wouldn't fit at this length anyway) and change it back because I think having a filter is safer for DDing.
Whats a BPi stack?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dekorum
Yes, thats a good route. I also have a 3 inch short ram pipe (custom cut from generic bent tubing) with the Blox velocity stack+6 inch filter combo. This setup has the best proven gains. Tuned length helps though, I saw on the dyno that I get the most power and smoothest powerband when I lengthen the tubing more, and take off the filter. So when I go to the track, I put on an extra 2 inches of tubing I have (with couplers) and run a straight velocity stack with no filter (the filter wouldn't fit at this length anyway) and change it back because I think having a filter is safer for DDing.
Good info, I will try adapting the short ram I have now and look into getting a 3" pipe mandrel bent and cut it so that the filter sits as far towards the passenger light corner as possible.

Whats a BPi stack?
I didn't know either, but I found it's just another brand of velocity stacks (link).
The BLOX unit seems way cheaper (even if it doesn't seem to have mounting accessories), but I wonder if it comes with a K&N filter like the BPi one. I'll email VelocityShop to inquire and report back, they usually reply very quickly.

-Walter
Old 02-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, yeah that BPi thing is expensive but its cool that it comes with a K&N filter though, if theres even a difference. My Blox kit was only 50 or 60 bucks I think and it comes with a Blox filter. Looks exactly the same but I got a polished velocity stack instead of black.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just realized that since the TB opening of a type r is 62 mm thats a little more than 2.5" so wouldn't a 2.5" short ram and 2.5" outlet velocity stack be better than 3" since I am effectively letting a half inch sit in side the couplers where air could possibly escape? But then you would HAVE to get the Blox stack cause BPi doesn't make a 2.5" inch one.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 89t-rex
that's exactly what my brother did and he likes it a lot. much better than a short-ram, and avoids the headache of having to swap it out all the time.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys.
I wound up getting a 3" pipe mandrel bent for proper positioning under the hood.

I just got my K&N filter and Vibrant intake plug in the mail. BPi stack, Couplers and T-Bolt clamps are on the way.
Tomorrow I am going to a friend's shop to weld a bracket on the 3" pipe, then I am dropping it off to my other buddy to get it powdercoated flat black.

I'll open a new thread with pics of the whole process and the finished product.

-Walter
Old 02-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats that Vibrant fitting for? You want to hook up a hose to the valve cover PCV system? Just putting a breather on the valve cover it better. Theres absolutely no need, performance wise, to put oil fumes back into your intake.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just keep it nice and simple
http://www.inlinefour.com/il4peprostin.html
Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dekorum
Whats that Vibrant fitting for? You want to hook up a hose to the valve cover PCV system? Just putting a breather on the valve cover it better. Theres absolutely no need, performance wise, to put oil fumes back into your intake.
Thanks for the suggestion. So what is exactly the purpose of that vacuum line from the valve cover? How much oil (if any) does usually get sucked into the TB and intake manifold? Will it actually hurt performance?

Originally Posted by Tong.Y
just keep it nice and simple
http://www.inlinefour.com/il4peprostin.html
That's nice, I wish I'd have known about this solution before I pieced everything together. Good to know for future reference, thanks for sharing.

-Walter

Quick Reply: Best 62mm Intake (B18C) on EG chassis?