Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bearing cap installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing cap installation

Hi everyone I am new to the Honda scene, but have work on a lot of different types of vehicles my main JDM being Subaru…but I recently picked up a 97 civic with a built all forged internals machined block D16y8 and turbod…it needed a few things done to it one of which is reinstalling the bearing caps because the previous owner had pulled them from an oil pan gasket leak and checked the bearings to make sure they were okay. He said he just never got around to putting them back in after the fact. He said he lifted the rods a little bit so he could check them. My question is can I just put the caps back in the the rings and everything will be okay once torqued? Or do I have to spin the crank to dead center then reinstall? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you! The block was freshly built with under 1k miles

Old 04-08-2022, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 75 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Re: Bearing cap installation

What was the reason for pulling it apart to check the bearings? If it was put together properly there shouldn't have been any reason to check the bearings.. take them out and post a pic of the bearings but make note of which rods they came off so they can go back in the exact same location if they are OK. If the timing belt has not been removed, you can just put everything back together and torque them properly with out having to put to TDC.
Don't forget to use engine assembly grease on the bearings when putting it all back together.. Would suck to spin a bearing on start up.

Last edited by Maxcapacity; 04-08-2022 at 11:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-08-2022, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 452 Likes on 418 Posts

If the rod caps were off probably a good idea to make sure those are stretched to spec.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-09-2022, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Maxcapacity
What was the reason for pulling it apart to check the bearings? If it was put together properly there shouldn't have been any reason to check the bearings.. take them out and post a pic of the bearings but make note of which rods they came off so they can go back in the exact same location if they are OK. If the timing belt has not been removed, you can just put everything back together and torque them properly with out having to put to TDC.
Don't forget to use engine assembly grease on the bearings when putting it all back together.. Would suck to spin a bearing on start up.
awesome thank you, yeah everything was already out, bagged and numbered. So I know the placement of where each cap goes. And the previous owner had an oil pan gasket leak. Didn’t realize it, ran it low on oil so he pulled them to check them and said everything was good. I’m going to reassemble everything today. Thank you for the information
Old 04-09-2022, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
If the rod caps were off probably a good idea to make sure those are stretched to spec.
thank you for the heads up, I’ll recheck them before assembling today