Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!?

Who here has one, what brand, and if you can possibly some pics of fitment. I want to hook up my MSD Digital 6 but the damn thing is so big, I figure it would fit perfect in the same spot as where the battery is now.

Thanks in advance for comments/pics..
Old 03-05-2003, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!? (Jason kiDD)

I built my own kit. Started with a Painless Wiring cable kits from Jeg's and slowly replaced parts and changed it into what I wanted.

In a nutshell: 1 gauge car audio cable, circuit breaker, Hawker battery, Flaming River kill switch, and a self machined battery hold down tray.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:16 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!? (SLPR)

That's probably the best way to do it. Even better is with a Dynabatt =13.5 lbs comapred to a 39lb. Optima! No need for a box either.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol,
I'm working on mine this weekend... got a Moroso box from a fellow Honda-Tech'er and should be dropping it behind the passenger seat. I'll see if I can post pics afterwards.

There are some theads archived about this, but not many with great pics.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!? (owen_the_soyboy)

I'm going to be doing this soon too, for space reasons. I just got a kit from Summit Racing. But, I still have yet to go pick up a kill switch, which is necessary if you want to race with a relocated battery. I also need to go pick up a distribution block from a stereo shop.
I'm stuck as to where I'm going to put the kill switch. Apparently it has to be accessible from the outside of the car. Someone suggested mounting behind one of my taillights, and then remove the taillight when I race.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!? (Milano_EH3)

buy or find a flip down lic plate braket thing and mount the swith behind it.. so people cant see it. Alot of people have been having problems with visable **** like the kill swith because hater tyr to mess with ****.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!? (robbieshonda)

Oh, good call. That would work much better.

Although the kill switch wouldn't be visible or accessible if I mounted it behind the taillight, unless I had the taillight removed.

But, I like the behind the plate idea better. Why didn't I think of that!
Old 03-05-2003, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!? (Milano_EH3)

Cool Ideas. Are kill switches necessary though?? And anyone with pics would help greatly. I am looking for more of fitment issues.. I would hate to have it relocated only to be bouncing around in the back everytime I go over a bump.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:11 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a full aluminum box from Summit (around $45) and bolted to the floor in the back of my CRX, and ran 2 AWG wires (more like cables) from the battery terminal to the battery, then grounded it to the chassis in the back. I also had a kill switch on my back bumper (kind of a pain with that big of wire to move around) but I needed because I took my CRX to the track all the time and the tracks require an external battery cut-off switch if you run with a battery inside your car..... the kill swtich looked like a small air hose line on my bumper with the handle taken off.

Here's some stuff to consider:

- With an external battery kill switch, anyone can come up to it with pliers and shut off the power to your car, thus killing an alarm system that you would have on it (there are ways to running your alarm separately on the same battery w/out going through the kill switch)

- 2AWG cables were big, and 4WG cables will still be more than enough to carry the current from the battery to the starter.

- If you have a stereo in the car, and you run the cables through the interior, you're going to hear a lot of feedback through your speakers unless the cables are shielded (which they usually aren't) so either shield them, run them under the car, don't use a stereo/speakers, or just live with it.

Old 03-05-2003, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!? (Newman)

Damn maybe I should reconsider then. The only reason I am considering this is because again I dont know where to mount my MSD and I am longing to put it back somewhere, but space is limited..

Thanks for the replies though, at least now I know what I would be getting into if I do go with the battery relocation.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:37 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn maybe I should reconsider then. The only reason I am considering this is because again I dont know where to mount my MSD and I am longing to put it back somewhere, but space is limited..

Thanks for the replies though, at least now I know what I would be getting into if I do go with the battery relocation.
How bout you mount you MSD inside the cabin of the car...I've seen it done, literally, hundreds of times. The MSD doesn't produce fumes, doesn't make it any more difficult to pass inspection at the strip and is just as easy to relocate as the battery, if not easier. My roommate and I are about to put an MSD unit inside the cabin of his corvette, actually, so I'd really suggest this instead of costly and time consuming (and PITA) battery relocation.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!? (Archidictus)

Where??

The EG chasis is not all that big to begin with. And my p13 ECU is already on the ground on the passenger side.. But maybe I can look into mounting it on the bracket behind the glove compartment.. ??
Old 03-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Unceasing Measure

Where??

The EG chasis is not all that big to begin with. And my p13 ECU is already on the ground on the passenger side.. But maybe I can look into mounting it on the bracket behind the glove compartment.. ??
You can bolt it to the firewall under the glovebox, you can put it anywhere in the hatch area, behind the driver's seat, under the seats if you can make it fit, under the car anywhere (it's sealed against moisture and is incredibly shock resistant)...you can even mount it on top of your ECU. The MSD can be mounted in any position except upside down...take advantage of it.

Trust me that it'll be easier than relocating your battery.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:52 AM

Fair enough you have given me some ideas. I will go home tonight and look for some places. Thanks all for all the info and I will probably keep the battery where it is now..
Old 03-05-2003, 09:54 AM

bullsh*t, just relocate the battery, fuggin easy. Run some cables, better weight distribution, especially with an H22 under the hood. Think about it, don't be intimidated by a LITTLE bit of work and thought!
Old 03-05-2003, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is a 4 guage wire big enough to run? Or do I need somthing bigger???
Old 03-05-2003, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!? (Hondaddict)

lol Trust me doing the swap myself I am not intimidated by work at all, but I don't want to do unecessary work and he is right I could just as easily route it inside the cabin..
Old 03-05-2003, 10:29 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

I mounted by msd in the glove box. Isn't it good to keep the wires to anything spark related as short as possible?
Old 03-05-2003, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!? (jg)

Probably but if yours is in your glove box, then I shouldnt have much to worry about..
Old 03-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: Battery Relocation kit in a hatch!!? (Hondaddict)

bullsh*t, just relocate the battery, fuggin easy. Run some cables, better weight distribution, especially with an H22 under the hood. Think about it, don't be intimidated by a LITTLE bit of work and thought!
Are you serious? Here are the options:

1.) put four bolts into the unibody of your vehicle, run three small-gauge wires into the engine bay and one to any ground and your MSD is up and running.

2.) buy a battery box, kill switch, bypass and large-gauge wire to relocate a poisonous, acidic cell into your cabin. If it, for some reason, were to explode, there would be trouble. You also need to figure out where to mount something significantly larger than an MSD box inside your cabin, which would compromise the efficiency of a hatch's design.

Neither one is hard, Hondaaddict...that obviously wasn't my point. But if you think your opinion is more valid than mine, by all means say so. I'll go ahead and mount my 5 pound MSD under my seat in twenty minutes for the cost of the MSD system and spare wire in my garage while you figure out where to put and how to safely and incospicuously mount a 40 pound wet-cell battery.

Do whatever you want, dude, but I promise: my way is easier and more efficient.