Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Baking Headlights... a few questions before I do this. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baking Headlights... a few questions before I do this. HELP

I have searched and have gotten some info... but I want more info... and clarification, seeing as I have only one set of headlights.

1. I take the bumper off and then take out the headlights.
2. Take off the rubber around the headlight
3. I put ONE (1) headlight on a tray and put it in the oven for 8 minutes at 200 degrees
4. Get a flathead screw driver and pry that bastards apart.
QUESTION For 96-98 Style headlights there are parts I have to unscrew and stuff to get at the housing... once at the housing itself I can paint the ENTIRE THING????
5. Use a primer... and prime the housing.
6. Once primer is dry apply your chosen paint colour to the headlights.
7. Paint some coats on there.
8. Put the headlight housing back together.
QUESTION When putting the headlights in the oven you have the PLASTIC GLASSY part and the HOUSING seperate??? So you can press the two together once hot?
9. Apply silicone too make sure there is no condensation in the future?

AND I have heard apply light layers...
So does everything sound good here?
Old 08-11-2003, 06:31 PM

not to discourage you or anything .... but i tried to do what you are gona do and i wasnt very successful.... it was such a pain in the *** to get them glued back together right ... then once i thought i had it they leaked ....but anyway.... usually when i try to do things they end up like this .... i just ordered a set of aftermarket lights .... well anyway.... good luck
Old 08-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did my old lights black but that was before i got in a wreak and they were distroyed i got another set of lights that i got that iam also gonna do a color either black or gunmetal but iam just a little weirded out myself by leting the lights sit on a hot tray,,,,,,,,, will they not melt a little at the bottom???????
Old 08-11-2003, 07:13 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: (h22pwrdCivic)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=424490
Old 08-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Baking Headlights... a few questions before I do this. HELP (Si Arn)

1) I put my headlights in for around 12 minutes at 215 degrees. Just keep an eye on them and check them from time to time to make sure they are OK. They will smell funny.

4) Once you pry them apart with a screwdriver, then there are three screws if I remember correctly to remove the plastic housing from the light. Then you can remove the orange reflectors from the light if you choose. I took them all out for painting.

You don't paint the actually housing, you paint the plastic glassy thing. It is up to you if you want to paint the entire thing or not. I painted mine all black. I would also lightly sand the plastic before painting. I did this on my second light and the paint stuck better.

As far as putting it back together, I put silicone around the edges and pushed it together as hard as I could. I let that sit, and then I put it in the oven for 10 mins or so and pushed it together as hard as I could once again. Then just let them sit and the glue should be good. If you see any spots where condensation could get through then apply more silicone.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Baking Headlights... a few questions before I do this. HELP (96 SOHC VTEC)

thanks a lot for th help
Old 08-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Baking Headlights... a few questions before I do this. HELP (96 SOHC VTEC)

i did this a couple months ago with the help of that thread.

bake headlights for 5 minutes at 200 degrees.

pry slowly with several flatheads and pry open locking tabs(you'll know what i mean) once you pry one flathead in there, stick it in there to keep it from sticking back-once hot glue is very easy to work with

you paint the chrome housing part, not the lens. and don't paint the reflectors otherwise you'll hinder your light output.

good luck

edit: wasn't that thread, i believe a h-t member by the name of 00mrsi or something.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Baking Headlights... a few questions before I do this. HELP (tominos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tominos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i
bake headlights for 5 minutes at 200 degrees.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure if 5 minutes would get the glue hot enough, but I guess you could give it a shot.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Baking Headlights... a few questions before I do this. HELP (tominos)

When you put your lights back together, push the back housing and the clear lens together as much as you can, they will stick pretty well. Then after baking them @ 215 degrees for about 10-15 min, finish pushing them together until the tabs click into place. For the sealant, I used Liquid Nails Clear Seal, just run a bead around the assembly where the two pieces come together, let it sit for a couple hours, then put it back together. I'll have some pics up next week of my new CF hood, so I'll put in some headlight close ups for ya.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine came out nice, except for the fact one of the seal is not right and leaks. oh well ill fix it later