Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bad Transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bad Transmission leak

97 Civic EX Stock Drivetrain Automatic trans.

So the issue Im having just started.
This car has 280k, but the trans was replaced at some point with a used unit (Different Vin Plate) no clue miles on trans.
Ive driven for about 6k miles and its shifted well but always had a very small leak. I topped the fluid off the other day as it was getting low, drove home and had a pretty obvious puddle in the driveway the next morning, check the dipstick, still registered but a little bit low. Drove it to work about 20 miles and the shifts started to feel worse and worse. Get it to work and throw it on the lift, trans fluid everywhere. Refill fluid, crank car and raise back up on the lift, fluid is pouring out, not even a drip, solid stream from the middle area of the case. Im assuming input shaft seal, but before I go digging into this thing, does anyone else have any thoughts......Im by no means a transmission expert......as it sits Im quite intimidated by taking this thing apart.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Bad Transmission leak

It's coming out of the little gap in the bottom of the bell housing then? It is likely the shaft seal, but the torque converter is also in there full of fluid. I think those parts can be replaced without taking the whole transmission apart.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:21 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I vote shaft seal. They should've replaced it before mating it to the engine.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
It's coming out of the little gap in the bottom of the bell housing then? It is likely the shaft seal, but the torque converter is also in there full of fluid. I think those parts can be replaced without taking the whole transmission apart.
Yep, that's exactly where its coming from, everything Im seeing says the trans has to come apart, is it possible to verify this info anywhere?
Old 07-03-2019, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I vote shaft seal. They should've replaced it before mating it to the engine.
Ok. Thanks.....I agree it should have been done, but the PO cut A LOT of corners on this car and Im slowly learning just how many.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

The torque converter has an O-ring. That could also be the problem.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So managed to wrestle this pig of a transmission out on Wednesday evening, just got it on the bench this morning, and taking the torque converter out, the seal was actually attached to it, not in the case. So needless to say, I didn't have to take it apart. Also oddly enough the torque converter O-Ring is no where to be found, probably not a good sign. So off to the parts store. While I have it out Ill do output shaft seals as well and for good measure, the rear main seal.
Hopefully it all goes back together easily.
Hope this post helps someone in the future.