Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bad throw out ball bearing or arm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad throw out ball bearing or fork? UPDATED!!!!!! HELP......Release bearing?

I can shift in and out of gears without stepping on the clutch when the engine is running. The car still accelerates. I still have to step on the clutch for reverse. No grinds or popping out. This was all on jackstands.

Is this the throw out bearing or the arm that is messed up? What would be the signs of something going wrong with the throw out bearing or arm?

UPDATED:

Well, I already have a new tranny on the side, and i dropped out the old tranny already. The throw out bearing is really rough when im spinning it compared to the smooth throw out bearing from the new tranny. Im also waiting for the clutchmasters3 to come in before putting anything back on.

I was told that the release bearing could of caused my problems in the first place, but, where is the release bearing at? What does the release bearing actually do? The tranny is an S4.

Modified by spidermancivic at 7:00 PM 9/25/2004
Old 09-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad throw out ball bearing or arm? (spidermancivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spidermancivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can shift in and out of gears without stepping on the clutch when the engine is running. The car still accelerates. I still have to step on the clutch for reverse. No grinds or popping out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're driving, it is normal to be able to pull out of gear without the clutch. If you match revs, you can up and downshift all day without the clutch. Depending on who you talk to, some call it 'speedshifting' others call it 'powershifting'.

Is there anything else wrong? Does the clutch slip / grind etc.? Maybe I missed something in your question, but what's happening might just be normal.

Old 09-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad throw out ball bearing or arm? (EX_AutoXer)

well heres what happened to me from a different forum.

[/qoute]

The castle nut on my ball joint where the steering knuckle is popped off 8 houses down from my house. The balljoint stud hopped out of its place and caused the driverside axle to break in half. The impact of the drop F#cked up my driverside fender and sideskirt too. Ever since this happened, I can shift into gear without stepping on the clutch when the engine is on. I can do it in all gears with the engine off. I still have to step on the clutch to get it into reverse when the engine is on. I can start the engine, but, I cant go anywhere.

Do I need a new transmission? clutch? I think the impact of the drop pushed the driverside axle into the transmission causing some damage.

So far i need a new driverside axle and steering knuckle ball joint. Im pretty sure i need a new tranny too. possibly clutch. what do you guys think?
[/QUOTE]

Also, when I step on the clutch, there is a squeek from within the tranny. Im dropping the tranny out this saturday. any advice or info until then would be appreciated.

Old 09-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad throw out ball bearing or arm? (spidermancivic)

So you're saying that, basically, you can move the shift lever into gear, but nothing happens; the car won't move. Although, you can put it into reverse?

It sounds as though the reverse works, but forward speeds don't. If the engine is running, and you can slide it in and out of gear, I would think that the problem is with the clutch (always dissengaged). Since there is the possibility that reverse works; it might be that the car isn't going into gear at all, and you're just moving the shifter around (maybe forks?). If it's just that you need to push the clutch in to get it into reverse, but the car still doesn't move, that would lean me more to the clutch / TOB / TOB arm.

Old 09-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad throw out ball bearing or fork? UPDATED!!!!!! HELP......Release bearing? (spidermancivic)

UPDATED
Old 09-25-2004, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad throw out ball bearing or fork? UPDATED!!!!!! HELP......Release bearing? (spidermancivic)