Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bad shop experience NEED ADVICE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad shop experience NEED ADVICE!

OK.. I have a 99 si and i just had my motor swapped out because it was hydrolocked. The place that swapped out my motor told my insurance company and I that they will be replacing the motor with the exact motor that has been remanufactured with a 1 year warranty. Originally the insurance company said why not just put a cheaper motor in ect. But the shop said no it needs to be the same motor and the insurance company paid up. 4600 for them to do it. Well i get it back and i look under the hood. The motor looks like it has been beat to hell the head cover is chipped and dirty as hell. There is oil and grease everywhere. I find this all out after i leave there saturday. I had to split quick to get to work so i couldnt inspect it there. So this is why i havent confronted the shop yet. Im going to today. Another thing i find out is my clutch really wierd doesnt grab to the very last bit of the clutch pedal and it doesnt grab hard at all its my same transmission and clutch ect. it just grabs really crappy not like originally... really soft. My check engine light is on, and i also looked and its a B16a not a b16a2... What is the difference between the motors? The car runs good and all but it looks like crap and there are a few bugs to work out. I was told by a few people these guys were good ect. Basically im not worried about them fixing what is wrong, = check engine light, clutch... But my main concern is that its a b16a not a b16a2 like my original motor. Im not sure what the BIG difference is. And now im feeling kinda shady towards this place and i want to check to make sure that this motor is actually "remanufactured" anything i should look at.

I know i have a lot of questions any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bad shop experience NEED ADVICE! (sinolimitssi)

check the year stamp on the head.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Bad shop experience NEED ADVICE! (Spade)

I looked at the stamp. it says b16a and then under that some numbers. Are those the numbers your talking about. which one will tell me the year?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:08 AM

Hopefully this page helps you out

http://www.superhonda.com/foru....html

Give Deatil of the different motors and Years as well
Old 03-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

those numbers represent the year it was made. Sounds likey ou got an older1 B16a that they shoved in. Might of even swapped the trans too, check for vin.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:11 AM

to me its sounds like you got a Older Motor Basiccly,
Old 03-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Banned

Default Re: (El_buster)

Modified by CardDealer at 5:03 PM 11/16/2006
Old 03-21-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: (schlit)

Ive checked the vin number on my transmission. Its matches up with my car. Ive taken pictures. I was going to take off the head cover to look in the internals see if there was any gunk ect because they had claimed it was remanufactures. But i just took the spark plug cover off ect and saw a crap load of dirt chillillng there i was like wtf? have some pride in your work and clean that **** before giving it to a customer. But i decided not to take it off, it might just be a remanufactured older b16. But still Also when i took the spark plug cover off i found 3 of the head screws LOOSE one was half way unthreaded. I was like WTF!? Really im not sure if its remanufactured or what but it looks like **** and im pissed. Ill get some more pictures today and i have a lawyer if they feal like being dicks whcih im sure they will when i confront them. Im going to play dumb till i get all the paper work in my today when i go in to get it. I dont know how any one can run a business like this. Its some b/s The least they could have done is tried to make it look not so shady by cleaning up the mess they made.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds to me like a hack job motor. you sir are entitled to a refund check otherwise your lawyer will have something to say.

Then get a jap b16a (obd2) for $2500 and swap it yourself.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: (Vero)

yeah seems that way doenst it... Can you guys give me any other things i should look at to see if this motor is actually remanufactured. Things that would have to be new that i would visually beable to see?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It would have been a lot cheaper to have gotten your old block sleeved, but the big problem I see is that they gave you a pretty old motor.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:06 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

u need to go to the shop anyways and talk to them about there kinda business they do, giving you crappy beat up products(like the valve cover) doing a messy *** job(oil everywhere) and your check engine light coming on, you need to go in there and talk to them about all those problems u are having that is your right as a customer man!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: (POE)

Ok i just looked at the motor

B16A

That is the numbering on the motor. Im going to go deal with them today. Can anyone tell me what those numbers mean and if i can pin exactly what year it is ect.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:11 AM
cool guy name

Default Re: Bad shop experience NEED ADVICE! (Del Sizzle)

Isnt it illegal to swap and older motor into a newer car????? I would definitely take that **** back and say you want the stock motor that was in your car before. Not some old piece of ****!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Bad shop experience NEED ADVICE! (walker111)

Is it illegal?! hmmm.. Also can anyone tell me what those numbers mean on my head? thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinolimitssi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it illegal?! hmmm.. Also can anyone tell me what those numbers mean on my head? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it is illegal to put in a motor older than your car. chances are they bought a jdm surplus motor which is b16a and swapped it out with your motor.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes any motor swap has to be of the same vehicle year or newer.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: (Vero)

Ok guys i just went there to pick up my paperwork. On the paperwork (price write ups) it only says long block 3600 ... No engine codes or anything. And i asked about the motor They said it has 9,000 Miles on it and it is not remanufactured... Which i was under the impression it was remanufactured. I dont know wtf they are saying. But i told them that they need to fix my check engine light, my cruise control and my clutch. Made an appointment for that. Till them im playing dumb till i talk to my lawyer and also get the paperwork from my insurance company syaing what they were going to do. And when i go in to get the problems fixed im going to have them make up a document stating exactly what they put in and how many miles ect just to have. Any other help would be great
Old 03-21-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: (sinolimitssi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes any motor swap has to be of the same vehicle year or newer.</TD></TR></TABLE> Can anyone stear me if this is absolutely true or not. Because if it is. I will have no problem here. Just that we have 2 conflicting answers.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:56 PM

some state do required the motor replacement (swap) should be same year or new then the vehicle. you need to take the pic to head with all the number stamped on it. these number located below the vavle cover or above the exhaust manifold. side note go ahead and take all the pics of the motor just in case.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the head, passenger side above the exhaust manifold, it should have the year of the motor there. If it says 9/9 its a 99 and so forth and so on.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:53 PM

i wasnt even aware insurance paid for damages done to engines by water. thats some crazy ****.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinolimitssi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Can anyone stear me if this is absolutely true or not. Because if it is. I will have no problem here. Just that we have 2 conflicting answers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same or newer.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16pwrdeg)

for an engine swap to be (emissions) legal, yes the engine has to be the same year or newer than the car.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (mugenEG2)

I'd definately get that checked. BEFORE you have them fix the CEL, get the codes from it (look in faq how to do so). If it's a conflict resulting from using an obd1 engine, not only will your emmissions guys not be willing to pass your car, but chances are AZ requires a same or newer engine swaped in. Also, make sure you take lots of pictures before those lamers touch your car again. Make sure you tell your insurance & lawyer about every problem or difference.

I can't blame a shop for trying to save cash, but when they do so AND charge an insurance company up the *** and you in turn get that dick smacked in your face, that's when I'd report the shop.

Quick Reply: Bad shop experience NEED ADVICE!