Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

bad oil leak..blown headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bad oil leak..blown headgasket?

ok, i bought a wrecked GSR teg. so im getting ready to swap it into my car. but the whole front side of the block is covered in oil? i presume its the headgasket, but could it be something else?

heres a pic:

Old 08-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: bad oil leak..blown headgasket? (spooncivic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, i bought a wrecked GSR teg. so im getting ready to swap it into my car. but the whole front side of the block is covered in oil? i presume its the headgasket, but could it be something else?

heres a pic:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's not your headgasket. it's more then likely your oil pan gasket. I had a leaky oil pan gasket before and that is what it looks like when you do fix it right away. other problems could be your front and rear main seals.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i noticed that the oil pan gasket was leaking pretty much all around.

front and rear main seals? where are they located?
Old 08-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spooncivic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i noticed that the oil pan gasket was leaking pretty much all around.

front and rear main seals? where are they located?</TD></TR></TABLE>

front main seal is located right behind the crankshaft pulley. it's attached to the oil pump you can't miss it. the rear main seal is right behind the flywheel.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sleeperciv)

someone correct me if im wrong, but thats alot more than oil pan gasket. leaks dont go up. what did the manifold look like when you pulled it off. any oil on the passages. i would say more than likely its a head gasket. possibly worn rings and your getting blow-by and its coming out the exhaust, but thats a lttle far fetched.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (a1320honda)

Shure looks like a head gasket to me. The motor may still have good comp. also. just my .02
Old 08-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">someone correct me if im wrong, but thats alot more than oil pan gasket. leaks dont go up. what did the manifold look like when you pulled it off. any oil on the passages. i would say more than likely its a head gasket. possibly worn rings and your getting blow-by and its coming out the exhaust, but thats a lttle far fetched.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually on the manifold it has some oil on it where the oil spot is. i was wondering about the whole oil going up thing too? but i drove the car before i started taking the engine out. it smoked a little white smoke on start up but that was all. but the radiator hoses were VERY stiff at temp. so i am sure on the blown headgasket part. but i dont think the rings are worn or anything like that.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">someone correct me if im wrong, but thats alot more than oil pan gasket. leaks dont go up. what did the manifold look like when you pulled it off. any oil on the passages. i would say more than likely its a head gasket. possibly worn rings and your getting blow-by and its coming out the exhaust, but thats a lttle far fetched.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're wrong, oil leaks will go where every it wants to. also know that when you are driving the oil doesn't always go down and backwards. it also goes forward and up when you stop and decelerate the vehicle.

if it was the headgasket you would see more the just oil on the side of the block, you would see coolant residue all over the engine block.

go ahead an shell out money for a headgasket replacement when you don't have to. hell, I'd do a compression test and leakdown test before I even would consider the headgasket is to blame. I'm telling you it's oil pan gasket. but hey it's your money.

work smarter not harder.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeperciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you're wrong, oil leaks will go where every it wants to. also know that when you are driving the oil doesn't always go down and backwards. it also goes forward and up when you stop and decelerate the vehicle.

if it was the headgasket you would see more the just oil on the side of the block, you would see coolant residue all over the engine block.

go ahead an shell out money for a headgasket replacement when you don't have to. hell, I'd do a compression test and leakdown test before I even would consider the headgasket is to blame. I'm telling you it's oil pan gasket. but hey it's your money.

work smarter not harder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think i'll drain the oil tomorrow and see if there is any coolant in it. if not then i'll make sure to check all the oil pan gaskets
Old 08-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any one else?
Old 08-29-2004, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeperciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BULL show me where air from the front bumper of a car will PULL UP oil from the oil pan all the way UP to the TOP's of the block right below where it connects to the header and sit there. OH and when you stop or slow down the car how the hell is gravity going to make the oil go up?

NO WAY.. I have seen alot of cars with bad oil pans and NEVER have I ever seen one go upward. You need to go back to school and learn about gravity and aerodynamics. The cars front dam is designed to pull air DOWN from the top of the engine bay. So you ask anyone and they will tell you that all oil leaks go from the source to the ground or back because when you deaccelarate its the same as going forward.

You have another problem in that picture. take a look towards the distributor area. I'd say the leak is actually comming from there then we all know the gap between the head and block right there. I would first take components out to see where this oil flow is comming from. It could be the headgasket also since the oil return tube is right where the corner of the oil flow.

OH yea and also just because a head gasket gives up there is coolant in the oil.

Before you go and tell me I am full of crap please post your theory on automotive dynamics to make it possible for oil to creep up a block.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BatuKing)

most def a head gasket! look at the 2nd exhaust port from the left... there is an oil stain that is obviously coming down from the top of the block. there is no path that shows that that stain was caused by oil leaking up.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (alleyezonme)

HG y0
Old 08-29-2004, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Emerika)

could be a dizzy seal, vtec solenoid seal... anything. look on the left of the pixer.... and YES oil leaks can go up. its happened to me. my oil pressure switch was leaking and there was oil all over my firewall, front of my engine, all over my hood. when you have an oil leak how can you explain it getting on the back window? YES they do go up.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (slambedcivic)

oil leaks CAN go up w/ a bad oil pan and it happened to me. Gravity doesn't play w/ this situation
Old 08-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be a dizzy seal, vtec solenoid seal... anything. look on the left of the pixer.... and YES oil leaks can go up. its happened to me. my oil pressure switch was leaking and there was oil all over my firewall, front of my engine, all over my hood. when you have an oil leak how can you explain it getting on the back window? YES they do go up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

But not up the side of the block.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ladysman)

That thing has many of leaks. HG and Dizzy. I would replace the pan gasket too.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:57 AM

Default Re: (Caveman74)

bro since that oil leak is all over the place and hard to assume what it is. y dnt u just clean off all the oil from everywhere and let it run for a lil while and see where the oil leak comes from. and when u see it start to leak u can continue where its from.
like the other guy said work smarter not harder thats just my.02
Old 08-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But not up the side of the block. </TD></TR></TABLE>

valid point, which is why i said VTEC solenoid, dizzy seal, and since im on it ill add to it the cam seal..
Old 08-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

valid point, which is why i said VTEC solenoid, dizzy seal, and since im on it ill add to it the cam seal..</TD></TR></TABLE> but there's no sign of oil leaking from any of those
Old 08-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but there's no sign of oil leaking from any of those </TD></TR></TABLE>
look on top of the tranny... theres oil all over in there
Old 08-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Solbros Owns Me

yeah....and there's a nice clean gap between that and the front. Are you going to tell us that oil can jump!
Old 08-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you sir, are funny. but i will have to argue it... oil cant jump, but is sure can be wiped clean... why would the engine stamp be so clean? hmm... look in the lil crevices and what not... there is oil in there.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeha i have confirmed that it is the headgasket. the radiator hoses are REALLY stiff when it is warm. um it smoked white smoke. so im gonna replace it and clean everything, then if it still leaks then i'll go from there. and find the source
Old 08-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spooncivic1)

front end colission? can we throw in the mix a cracked block? hahahahha

Quick Reply: bad oil leak..blown headgasket?