Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B20 vtec no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20 vtec no start

I am having trouble getting the car started.cap rotor is good,new plugs/wires,checked fuel from fuel rail.when it does finally get to
start at The begining it starts to buck till I start giving it gas then it starts to idle fine.it also has been dying on me when I let it idle.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: B20 vtec no start

Don't start new threads about the same problem.

Read what Civic402lx was telling you in the last thread. When you buy a car that is already modified (which is NOT recommended), the first thing you must do is survey and identiy all the parts that the previous owner swapped (or did not) and confirm that they have a chance of working properly with each other.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car was fresh rebuild.whats wrong with buying a car that’s rebuilt?car is been running fine all year.only now it is starting to do this
Old 02-21-2018, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with the build is your lack of knowledge of what went in and how it work togethet. Unless you yourself build it, the next guy wont know exactly what went in. Do you know exactly how it was built? Exactly what step was taken? If you answer yes, then you should already know what is wrong. Or atleast know how to properly troubleshoot the issue.
If you are unable to complete simple, basic troubleshooting, you need to have the pro do it. You are looking fir a miracle over the internet. Start troubleshooting yourself, like it was asked of you before. We can not hold your hand all the time.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don’t know why your blaming it on a built motor.you mad or something ?built or not it shouldn’t matter.i have checked for spark and fuel and I’m getting both.im asking what would cause it to buck when it starts up?if Honda tech can’t help Ill be gladly stop asking here.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im stating the obvious. You got yourself in a mess you dont know where to go, yes? It is not just the build im talking about. Im talking about what was involved. Everything from ecu to wiring harness, to sensor, to ecu map. How much do you understand what you have on your hand? How much are you capable of troubleshooting? Are you capable of switch back to oem distributor to test your no starting issue? Your bucking issue?
others have tried to help you yet you take no commitment to try.
we gave you advice yet you kept moving on to other issue.
suggestions were given to help you troubleshoot your problem, not to fix all with one respond.
learn to troubleshoot so you can get to know your motor.
if you feel like you are in over your head, take it to a pro. Like i mentioned before..
dont get all pissed off because people point out the obvious to you.
you bought someone else's project. Which you have how much understanding of it? Sure, it worked for awhile. Thats great, until sh×t happens and you have no idea where to begin.
you said you got fuel, thats great. What is the proper pressure spec for idling? Cruising? Wot?
What color is the spark? How strong? How consistant?
is it correct with timing? Have you verify? How? By your eyeball?
what about your injectors? Are they flowing? Clog?

you said you fixed your msd issue. Then y doesnt it stay running? How do you know it is not causing your problem right now? How do you know it is not?

3 things to keep the motor running.
air, fuel, ignition
how are you going to check all that? Have you check all that?

good luck with your issue.. i tried..
Old 02-22-2018, 08:49 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Honda-tech can't help without the details, did you ohm test your engine harness wires leading to ecu from the distributor adapter to ensure they are within spec? Did you ensure the firing order for the spark plug wires are correct? Are the spark plugs gapped? Is there a proper basemap on the ecu? Is the ecu functional? Have you tried another ecu? Was this car running before the engine swap? Too many more questions....
Old 04-02-2018, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATe got the car started.it was dirty spark plugs.but I am still getting hesitating and jerking driving.also idle when I rev between certain rpm I hear a noise from the intake pipe.but if I remove it you can’t hear coming from the throttle body