Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B20 Vtec or Boost???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Icon3 B20 Vtec or Boost???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 89 si hatch with a b20b. . . I finally decided its either gunna be boosted or b20vtec. . . I am leaning more towards b20vtec. . .my car is already converted to obd1 . . has full race trac . bar set up also. . .but heres my thing going with the vtec head. . .wouldnt I just be better off dropping a gsr motor in the car??? I would be around the same price range. . im not looking to build the bottom end whether I go boost or b20vtec. . . any input??? I have all the money just dont know what direction to go . I know im going to make more power with boost. . but I would only be running maybe 10psi MAX. . . Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: B20 Vtec or Boost???

10 psi on a b20 is risky. the cylinder walls are so thin. i would do the b20v, then look into a low boost setup later
Old 09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thats what I was thinking . . im probely going to be looking around 240.00 for the golden eagle vtec conv. kit. . . and around 500.00 for the head. . . am I missing anything. . . ?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your going to need just small things along the way. nothing big pops into my head. i would get a new headgasket and replace that. what head are you looking at?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
10 psi on a b20 is risky. the cylinder walls are so thin.
It sounds like you dont speak from experience on this one. "Thin" is a misnomer on the B20 sleeves. They are actually thicker from piston to coolant passages, but thinner from cylinder to cylinder. With the level of tuners and EMS's around today, it isn't as big a deal as in the past

Oh, where to begin.

First of all, when you're building a turbo setup, you dont EVER set goals in terms of boost pressure. That is the cardinal sin made by ONLY the rookies. You'll soon learn that you set power goals in terms of whp. In your case with a stock B20b, you could shoot for upper 200s or low 300s. With a good tune, there's no reason to worry about it. For reliability's sake, i would suggest something in the 275whp range. With a compitent tuner and the right fuel, thats perfectly safe on a daily.

To me, this is a no-brainer. I would much rather invest in a B20b or straight LS turbo rather than wasting my money to convert to LS/VTEC. You can always do that after the turbo setup. It'll actually work out nicely as a stepping stone to higher power once you get used to it. That's my suggestion. If you want more opinions from people WITH EXPERIENCE, check out the Forced Induction Forum or just PM me and i'll move it over there for you.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
It sounds like you dont speak from experience on this one. "Thin" is a misnomer on the B20 sleeves. They are actually thicker from piston to coolant passages, but thinner from cylinder to cylinder. With the level of tuners and EMS's around today, it isn't as big a deal as in the past

Oh, where to begin.

First of all, when you're building a turbo setup, you dont EVER set goals in terms of boost pressure. That is the cardinal sin made by ONLY the rookies. You'll soon learn that you set power goals in terms of whp. In your case with a stock B20b, you could shoot for upper 200s or low 300s. With a good tune, there's no reason to worry about it. For reliability's sake, i would suggest something in the 275whp range. With a compitent tuner and the right fuel, thats perfectly safe on a daily.

To me, this is a no-brainer. I would much rather invest in a B20b or straight LS turbo rather than wasting my money to convert to LS/VTEC. You can always do that after the turbo setup. It'll actually work out nicely as a stepping stone to higher power once you get used to it. That's my suggestion. If you want more opinions from people WITH EXPERIENCE, check out the Forced Induction Forum or just PM me and i'll move it over there for you.
Thanks man
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schister66
With the level of tuners and EMS's around today, it isn't as big a deal as in the past

For reliability's sake, i would suggest something in the 275whp range. With a compitent tuner and the right fuel, thats perfectly safe on a daily.

To me, this is a no-brainer. I would much rather invest in a B20b or straight LS turbo rather than wasting my money to convert to LS/VTEC.
couldnt of said it better....you have way more experience also..lol..but yea i would just boost it and add proper fuel, and tuning. the tuning is whats going to make or break the car..when i was in high school my junior yr i had a ls turbo eg it lasted me all the way through to freshman yr in college..lol..then i sold it.. idk where its at now but 3yrs on 9psi daily driven you cant beat that 278whp

all i did where minor upgrades
-550 rc injectors
-arp head studs
-255 walbro
-new oem 22t gsr oil pump and water pump also
-moroso oil pan
and some intake bolt-ons but thats optional...tuned by rolotec at cft and i was one happy 16yr old...lol
Old 09-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you only listen to one thing i say, make it this: "When building your setup, take your time, dont skimp on parts (especially on tuning...not necessarily the EMS), read the Forced Induction FAQ, and if you have questions...ASK!"

There are so many people who have problems because they skimp on parts or take advice from people with no background in forced induction. There is a wealth of knowledge in FI if you look...trust me, i've moderated it for almost 2 years. I would suggest your next step to be a trip to FI to have a look around. Check out the FAQ and troll a few threads. You'll catch on...
Old 09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol... true story the man knows what he's talking about FI is the best place to go

and i am knowledgeable in building my ****....