Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B18c/EG wiring issues tying up loose end etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Moe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18c/EG wiring issues tying up loose end etc.

So i just did a swap on my EG, its a VX model. And now i have no Speedo, no odomoter, no trip, no vtec (its not wired) and a few other misc things.

How the hell do i wire that up. By ECU pinout i spose and moving the pinout's.

BUT, i see that the stock engine harness has 4 clips while the B18c im running only has 3. Im guessing some of those connections are on that fourth connector.

Car is currently running a JDM P72, could it be the ECU, cuz i also have a Chipped P28 that i could use.

Edit: I have been through most of the stickys, and the info there isnt all that clear to me. I can provide PIX to show just what im talkin about.

ALso what is the little vaccume box mounted on teh firewall of my VX.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:55 AM
Moe

Default Re: B18c/EG wiring issues tying up loose end etc. (Moe)

Update update update...

I have all the wiring from his motor, and he has all the wiring from mine. I guess it would have been eaiser to take all the wiring off of my motor and put it on the GSR.

Its hard to think when you need and want sleep.

Anyone has anythoughts opinions on this?
Old 08-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

uhh, should VTEC already be wired into your car since you have a VX? and i think there is only one thing you have to run, the knock sensor. as for the speedo, check your VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) that bolts down into the top of the tranny.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same problem, im wondering where i can wire up the knock sensor from, how can i find the wire???
Old 08-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (colombian linx)

should be coming right out of the sensor. then you run it to whatever the corresponding pin is in the ECU
Old 08-29-2004, 05:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Moe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
ALso what is the little vaccume box mounted on teh firewall of my VX. </TD></TR></TABLE>
that box is control the egr. you don't need that for the gsr, so you can remove it if you like.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Moe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So i just did a swap on my EG, its a VX model. And now i have no Speedo, no odomoter, no trip, no vtec (its not wired) and a few other misc things.

How the hell do i wire that up. By ECU pinout i spose and moving the pinout's.

BUT, i see that the stock engine harness has 4 clips while the B18c im running only has 3. Im guessing some of those connections are on that fourth connector.

Car is currently running a JDM P72, could it be the ECU, cuz i also have a Chipped P28 that i could use.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you don't need to run the vtec cause vx already had it.
the fourth connector is for the five wires o2 sensor cause the vx have 5 wires o2, so you need to repin that to a 4 wires o2 gsr.
you need to run iab wires and knock sensor wire.

Old 08-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Moe

Default Re: B18c/EG wiring issues tying up loose end etc. (2lua)

Sweet thanks.

So i can take the EGR box off, Check.

And i need to repin the 5 wire o2 to a 4 pin on the GSR harness, Check.

The knock sensor, isnt that one of the four wires you add when doing the swap, cuz i got it from a friend, and he already added 3 wires. I assume that 3 are for vtec and one is for knock sensor.

I dont need a knock sensor if im running OBD-1, or do I?

And what about the MAP sensor, i have no plug for that at all. Could get another, and pin it directly into the ECU, right?

IAB wires? Elaborate.

2lua: "you don't need to run the vtec cause vx already had it." i thought it was only wired to teh shock harness and i had to wire it back to the ECU.

Thanks alot, this is making more sense to me now.

Still a few shady areas, but its comming together. Thanks alot!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Moe

Default Re: B18c/EG wiring issues tying up loose end etc. (slambedcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhh, should VTEC already be wired into your car since you have a VX? and i think there is only one thing you have to run, the knock sensor. as for the speedo, check your VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) that bolts down into the top of the tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, i know where its at. It is plugged in, i think. Should check that, i dont have to swap VSS plug's or anything. Thanks.

Also, driving with no MAP sensor... problems issues, what happens when you do that. I noticed nothing cept for a cel and shitty gas milage and no VTEC.

Edit: *Update* Found my VSS problem, 2 of the 3 wires comming from it are cut.

Modified by Moe at 6:24 PM 8/30/2004
Old 08-30-2004, 09:25 AM
Moe

*Update* Found my VSS problem, 2 of the 3 wires comming from it are cut.

What is the extra plug, on the back of the IM, comes from the same wiring as the IAT sensor, i have an extra plug just hangin around, looks similar to the MAP sensor connector.

*uploading pix now*

Where do i have to repin the O2? I have 6 wires in my stock harness, blue/yellow, yellow/white, white/black, white/blue, orange/blue, blue/green.

And teh o2 on the b18c is, White, Yellow/black, orange/black, green/white.

How in the blue hell moon am i supposed to do that? Im pretty confused about that part. Do i pin it into the GSR harness, or do i get another connector and pin it into my extra 4th harness

Modified by Moe at 6:41 PM 8/30/2004

Edit: where the hell is VX when you need him.

Modified by Moe at 6:41 PM 8/30/2004
Old 08-31-2004, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VX models are always a pain in the *** to work with when merging them with another harness..

First off, so you have CEL for MAP sensor because it's not plugged in. That is the very reason you don't have vtec and shitty gas mileage.

I'm glad you saw the problem for VSS.

For VTEC wiring, you do not need to do a single thing. You don't even need to wire up knock sensor, since on the factory VX model, there is one of the 5 wire O2 sensor wires that goes to D3 pinout (which is the pinout for the knock sensor).

I do not remember off the top of my head the D3 pinout wire color right now, but you should know where D3 is and able to locate it. If need be, I'll look it up and remember what the wire color is.

You do, however, need to relocate wires from the 4th VX connector (which is mainly 5 wire O2 stuff and EGR stuff).

For the O2 sensor, the only thing you need to do, is locate the ORG/BLU wire (orange with blue stripe) on the 4th connector on the VX harness side. Take the pin out of the connector using a very very small screw driver.

Once you have that out, locate the WHT wire on the GSR side of the harness, and insert the ORG/BLU pin to mate up with the WHT wire on the GSR side. There should not be a wire that is already mated up with the WHT wire, however, if there is, it is of no use and can go away.

As for the MAP sensor, you have two plugs that have three pinouts, the TPS and the MAP. You will have those plugs unless they were cut off (like somehow your VSS plug was.. then you'll have to search for the wire, and if unable to locate it, you'll need to manually wire it from the shock tower to the MAP sensor -- which is also not a problem).

Last thing is the IAB wires. IAB is Intake Air Bypass or secondary butterflies which the GSR has. You'll need to wire up two wires, one which you splice into the Yel/Blk wire, and the other you need to manually wire up to the A17 pinout, then the IAB's will function.

HTH.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:40 PM
Moe

Default Re: B18c/EG wiring issues tying up loose end etc. (poison)

Thanks alot mang... but i dont need to use the butterfly system. Say if i use a chipped p28 then it wont function at all. And i dont need to wire that up.

My MAP sensor wire's were not cut, for some reason, on the guy's car i got the swap from his MAP was hardwired into his ECU, on a CX model i beleive. Probally when he did his swap. And my MAP was on my motor.

Change the pin out of the o2, check. What about the wires that he had to add for vtec, i dont need those either? I can just cut off where they were spliced, and cover with loom/electrical tape.

Dude you fuggin rock!!!! Any other questions i will just pm you.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, the swap you have now was previously in a cx hatch?
Is the harness that came with the motor a gsr harness or a modified cx harness?

If its a gsr harness, it should have the plug for the map.
But if its a cx harness, and that particular cx had the MAP mounted on the fire wall, then you will need to salvage the MAP plug off your old harness and run the wires accordingly.

Also, if the previous owner had to wire vtec into his cx(and had two wires running into the cabin) then you cannot just tape them up.
The easiest thing to do is:
Find the pin out A4 at the ecu. Cut the wire(give yourself a few inches) and then connect the wire running from the vtec solenoid to it.
Find the pin D6 at the ecu. Cut the wire and connect the wire running from the vtec oil pressure switch.
Then vtec is wired.
If it was an unmodified gsr harness, then you would'nt have had to wire up anything for vtec.

Lastly, the p28 ecu does not use the IAB or the knock.
So dont worry about wiring the IAB.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:40 PM
Moe

Default Re: B18c/EG wiring issues tying up loose end etc. (Slopoke)

I beleive its a GSR harness, no midifications to it, they just added the vtec oil pressure, and vtec solinoid wires and pinned them into the connections in the ECU. *i think* hell i dont know im confused now.

Would the GSR harness just plug into my VX?

The map was in his ECU harness wiring, mine was on my engine harness. So i have his wiring? What i remember was his MAP sensor connector running straight into his cabin. Instead of running the wires into the cabin, couldnt i just add them at my harness, since its a VX, and not have to run them into the cabin. Just find the corresponting wires on the haress and pin them in.

I kinda want it to look clean, so dont want all kidna wire's running all into the cabin, and would like for them to connect at the harness and go through the stock wire loom, etc.

Thanks for your imput boss.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the gsr engine harness would plug into your stock vx main harness.

If they've added the vtec wires to the harness, then its been modified.
You see the stock gsr harness is aready wired for vtec. The wires would run from the sensor to the big clip on the passanger side fire wall where the engine harness plugs into the main harness, then through the main harness and down into the ecu.

Your vx main harness is already wired for vtec since your stock motor had it.
So if it was an unmodified gsr harness, you could have just plugged it in and the vtec wires from the gsr engine harness would match up to the vtec wires in your vx main harness. Make sense?

But since the previous owner had a cx (main harness is not wired for vtec) he had to run the wires from the gsr engine harness directly into the cabin and to the ecu.

As far as the MAP goes, some civics have the map on top of the throttle body and the wiring is run through the engine hanress. Others have the map mounted on the firewall and the wiring is part of the main harness only.
So chances are, the harness on your motor is actually a modified cx harness. In other words, there is no wiring in the engine harness for the map sensor.

From the shitty Haynes wiring diagram I have infront of me, it looks like only 1 wire from the map actually goes to the ecu.

Anyway, you can either:
1. run that single wire directly into the ecu
or
2. find out where that wire would go on the big clips on your passanger side fire wall (where the engine harness attatches to the main harness) and plug it in there. Since your vx main harness is wired for the map on the throttle body.

Sorry for the long post.
hope that cleared a few things up.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Moe

Yea that works for me, my friend is supposed to be getting me a MAP sensor connector and i could do that tomrrow.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as the MAP goes, some civics have the map on top of the throttle body and the wiring is run through the engine hanress. Others have the map mounted on the firewall and the wiring is part of the main harness only.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My vx had it on the TB, and through the engine harness. Im guessing his CX had it on the firewall and into the main harness, cuz we couldnt disconnect it without going through his whole harness.

Its still a little foggy, just because i hate wiring.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your vx main harness is already wired for vtec since your stock motor had it.
So if it was an unmodified gsr harness, you could have just plugged it in and the vtec wires from the gsr engine harness would match up to the vtec wires in your vx main harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea that makes sense, so i can run the wire's to my shock tower hanress instead of through the firewall, if it is indeed a modified CX harness. And if it is a GSR harness then i dont need to wire anything.

I need to look at this tomrrow, but it seems easy enough, i hope its a GSR harness. Just so it will be eaiser.

Thanks. Long post &gt; me at 3 am
Old 08-31-2004, 11:14 PM
Moe

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Last thing is the IAB wires. IAB is Intake Air Bypass or secondary butterflies which the GSR has. You'll need to wire up two wires, one which you splice into the Yel/Blk wire, and the other you need to manually wire up to the A17 pinout, then the IAB's will function.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wait, since i have that, then it can be assumed that i have a GSR harness, right?
Old 09-01-2004, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Moe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wait, since i have that, then it can be assumed that i have a GSR harness, right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Since you have it where? On the engine harness? You probably do..
Old 09-01-2004, 07:43 AM
Moe

Default Re: B18c/EG wiring issues tying up loose end etc. (poison)

Yea since i have the wiring for the IAB's, then its safe to say that i have a GSR harness, and the VTEC should be wired to the shock harness.

Meaning, all i have to do is fix the VSS and map problem and im ready to roll.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

one last tidbit to add. If you don't care about the IAB's you can run a one wire set up.

From the ECU side, cut the wire coming out of D6 and tap it onto A4. DO NOT CUT OFF A4... just splice it in. then run a chipped p28 and don't worry about the knock sensor or anything else. I have been running my B18C's like this.

**warning, stolen Katman diagrams below**
Old 09-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Moe

Default Re: B18c/EG wiring issues tying up loose end etc. (b cruz)

I thought i didnt have to do any of that, because i have a VX.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea that makes sense, so i can run the wire's to my shock tower hanress instead of through the firewall, if it is indeed a modified CX harness. And if it is a GSR harness then i dont need to wire anything.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not quite.
Even if it is a gsr harness, the last owner had to cut the vtec wires(that would normally run to the shock tower) and run them directly to the ecu, so you'll have to run those wires back to their stock location on the shock tower.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18c/EG wiring issues tying up loose end etc. (b cruz)

b,
That "D6 spliced into A4" trick is actually used to bypass the vtec oil pressure switch (since some JDM motors dont have it).

If your going to run a p28, then you shouldnt have to do anything at all with the IABs since the ecu doesnt even look for it.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Moe

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not quite.
Even if it is a gsr harness, the last owner had to cut the vtec wires(that would normally run to the shock tower) and run them directly to the ecu, so you'll have to run those wires back to their stock location on the shock tower.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check, i should go out there, and get off the PC.

Will check back later, waiting on a friend with a GSR harness from his swap. He may have a VSS plug for me.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b,
That "D6 spliced into A4" trick is actually used to bypass the vtec oil pressure switch (since some JDM motors dont have it).

If your going to run a p28, then you shouldnt have to do anything at all with the IABs since the ecu doesnt even look for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
werd! I usually do it so I only have to add one wire even if I have a vtec oil pressure switch. I have it set up in my LS DC with a B18C

Yeah he mentioned he wasn't worried about hooking up the IAB's. also he is missing the black tank that goes under the mani. thats what the extra plug is for.

Quick Reply: B18c/EG wiring issues tying up loose end etc.