b18 down on power...please help :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18 down on power...please help :(

ok

this may seem long winded but here goes

i bought an mb6 vti-s ( b18c4, s9b box 4.2fd) a few months back without giving it a thorough test drive, it looked well, drove nice and had a fsh, however i didn't drive the bo**ox off it to see how it performed on cam as I was unfamiliar with the road

the problem with the car is that it does not want to rev, as in the engine seems 'lazy' so to speak, even whilst in neutral it is slow at climbing to the limiter, and seems unresponsive

it is standard apart from an ebay special induction kit (sorry), and a ss back box

im not sure if this is a clue as to what the problem is but the car makes a really aggressive noise while in vtec, it sounds exaggerated, quite impressive i'll admit, but i believe it's not a normal noise as i've had similar cars with the same mods and MUCH MUCH less noise (this car is all noise and no power)

can anyone point me in the direction as to what the problem may be.....

Could it be ignition related (distibutor/leads/igntn timing), something simple such as a 'clogged' catalytic convertor or just wear and tear, there are 148k miles on the car but it's been fully serviced

any advice is much appreciated