Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16b engine Options with $10,000?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16b engine Options with $10,000?

I have budget of $10k just for the engine. I have a 2000 Ek with a Full B16b swap. I want a car that is a bad *** daily driver and that will perform well at the track 13's and be able to drive it home not on a trailer. I want a fun, powerful, reliable car. I live in Arizona so I need AC. Boosting would be out of the question?...Right?....AC can't fit?....Lot's of forums talk about B16b's not adding a turbo because of high compression engine.....What would be the best setup for my goals that I stated above?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

k series with eg/dc steering rack, hasport ekk2 mounts, and eg front suspension, then all necessities for a/c and a/c will fit. i believe power steering will too. if you sell the b16b swap then that give you another 4-5 grand also to put towards your car or engine or both.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:04 PM

well, keeping boost with a/c is not impossible, as they make p/s and a/c compatible manifolds.

Your point of the high compression would be more of a concern. I know a good respectable tuner can make miracles happen, but part of reliability is piece of mind. And I don't know about you, but I don't think I could have that no matter how good the tune on the car.

Basically, if I was you, I would do a TON of research of parts made for your engine. Compare all parts you find. And make decisions based on how you would like the engine to run.

$10k is a nice chump of change to spend on a motor. Boring, stroking, and sleeving the motor is definitely in your price range.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFRue57
k series with eg/dc steering rack, hasport ekk2 mounts, and eg front suspension, then all necessities for a/c and a/c will fit. i believe power steering will too. if you sell the b16b swap then that give you another 4-5 grand also to put towards your car or engine or both.
so sell the swap and go k series? K20a? There is one for sale on craigslist here in az for like $4500.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 PM

If it was me, I would def. ditch the B16b for a K20a.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i'm not saying jump right on it and do it. i'm just saying it's an option. read up a little on other people's k swaps and what all it actually takes to make the a/c work. then if that seems like something you want to do then it would be a good option. if not then what he said is good advice as well.

Originally Posted by steveop
well, keeping boost with a/c is not impossible, as they make p/s and a/c compatible manifolds.

Your point of the high compression would be more of a concern. I know a good respectable tuner can make miracles happen, but part of reliability is piece of mind. And I don't know about you, but I don't think I could have that no matter how good the tune on the car.

Basically, if I was you, I would do a TON of research of parts made for your engine. Compare all parts you find. And make decisions based on how you would like the engine to run.

$10k is a nice chump of change to spend on a motor. Boring, stroking, and sleeving the motor is definitely in your price range.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would you sell the b16b swap and buy a k20a for $4,500? That would leave me with $7,500. What would you do with the $7500?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:29 PM

Well, it would depend on how the rest of car was for me to say how I would spend the 7,500. If the car was in sound condition and I was happy with it, then building the K20 would be what I would go after. Or if you install the motor, and are happy with the new power you have. I would invest the 7,500 in a Roth IRA. those are sweet lol.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are the pics of the car so you have an idea what it looks like. Not that it matters since we are just talking about performance. Car domain:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3196245
Old 11-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So your saying B16b with a turbo with the right tune would be fine? Where on the web could I find a/c compatible maniforlds?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 PM

oh wow, very clean car. Just basically break the motor down (in your mind) and look at it 1 part at a time. And then, do research on that part until you find something you think will suit your goals. I'm not going to say I think you should get this or that, simply because its YOUR car and whats the fun in having someone spoon feed you info on your car?

Building a motor for performance isn't hard when you look at in a vague perspective (such as boring, stroking, sleeves, cams etc. etc.) It's determining how exactly you should go about doing it and what parts to choose that will take time. But its def the fun part of being an enthusiast.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM

I'm saying its def possible, is it fine? I don't know. The only semi-high motor I have boosted was a B16A2. Somebody with more exp. might be able to give you a better answer.

I do know that it is all in the tune, but there is a point where compression just becomes to much to ever consider it reliable. I'm just not sure if the B16b has surpassed that.

Plus, it depends on what pump gas you have available in your area.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm saying its def possible, is it fine? I don't know. The only semi-high motor I have boosted was a B16A2. Somebody with more exp. might be able to give you a better answer.

I do know that it is all in the tune, but there is a point where compression just becomes to much to ever consider it reliable. I'm just not sure if the B16b has surpassed that.

Plus, it depends on what pump gas you have available in your area.
Well I'm going to buy that K20a off craigslist. I will get it tested out first. I will keep you guys updated with pics. Thanks for the advice and opinions. Also if you know anyone that wants a b16b swap I would be willing to sell it for $3,000. The engine has about 32k miles. The b16b was getting 30 mpg and that was getting on the car a couple times a week. I was pretty impressed. So K20a turbo!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 PM
I am my avatar

H22 + B16 tranny equates to happiness.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 PM

haha. you don't waste anytime.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha. you don't waste anytime.
Nope....I need to get those asian models half naked all over my car taking pics.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:32 PM

then grab a NSX.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont understand why the b20vtec is out of the question,save tons of money and use the head and tranny you already have.people love to waste money these days
Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mikes2000civicsi
i dont understand why the b20vtec is out of the question,save tons of money and use the head and tranny you already have.people love to waste money these days
no offense man but why would he go b20vtec?? He has a b16b from a CTR so that would be kinda pointless plus he said he wants to hit 13's and with only b20vtec that wouldn't be happening for him. Also i dont know if you noticed but he made another thread sayin he's going k20 now haha
Old 11-30-2008, 07:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

thats a little high for a k20a long block, or even a swap. 4500 would be the price of a k20a-R w/ an rbc mani, complete trans axels, ECU and probably like a $1000 back in cash LOL

back 2-3 years ago that would've been a steal, but now k series parts have dropped dramtically, what are there over 3 millon k series cars in existence? selling hundreds of thousands a month

BTW you will make money selling that b16b swap and buying a k swap, seems like people here just have the mindset that the k series is too expensive.

nevermind that the price of a clean RSX-s is cheaper than what people think the swap is .
Old 12-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dapek
no offense man but why would he go b20vtec?? He has a b16b from a CTR so that would be kinda pointless plus he said he wants to hit 13's and with only b20vtec that wouldn't be happening for him. Also i dont know if you noticed but he made another thread sayin he's going k20 now haha

no offense man but do some research on b20vtecs.kinda brings me back to the good old link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL9L6xocSwg

and the b20vtec is in the 4dr
Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sell the B-Series and swap in a k20
Old 12-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With that kinda cash money you MUST get a k-series (type-R!?!), because its the new motor and platform plain and simple.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were my setup and money, i'd sell the B16b, grab an 84mm GSR and turbo it. Sure it doesn't have the allure of the K swap, but it's going to be cheaper and just as fast if not faster depending on your setup. For the price of a stock K series, you could have an ERL built shortblock and redone head with money to spare for the turbo setup. That would be my route...
Old 12-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
If it were my setup and money, i'd sell the B16b, grab an 84mm GSR and turbo it. Sure it doesn't have the allure of the K swap, but it's going to be cheaper and just as fast if not faster depending on your setup. For the price of a stock K series, you could have an ERL built shortblock and redone head with money to spare for the turbo setup. That would be my route...

Very well said

With the left over money you can get some other goodies aswell

Quick Reply: B16b engine Options with $10,000?