Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A4 into eg sedan/hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:02 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A4 into eg sedan/hatch

I can get a B16A4 fully built motor but it is only the block alone,
I was wondering if anyone is able to give me a complete list of EXACTLY what I will need to throw it into a EG hatch/sedan (EFI) because I'm still hesitant as to whether it is worth going ahead with...

With some little knowledge I have of Hondas and hours of googling and coming back to this forum, I've put together that I need/may not need;

-manifolds (intake and exhaust side)
-gearbox (any b16 manual tranny?)
-driveshafts (?not 0%sure)
-ecu
-OBD1 or 2 loom (depending on car model? Correct me if I'm wrong)
-cooling hoses
-Power steering pump?
-engine mounts (will go hasport)
-shift linkage ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Not too fussed on funds as it is a project
Thanks in advance
Old 07-16-2014, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: B16A4 into eg sedan/hatch

It depends what you already have in your car.

You didn't give any details. "eg sedan/hatch" is vague.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:17 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's start off by getting some terminology straight. "Block alone" = bare block = no rotating assembly (pistons, rods, and crank), and no necessary accessories (water pump, oil pump, oil pan, pickup, tensioner, alternator, and the like). Short block = Block with rotating assembly, accessories optional, no cylinder head or head accessories (intake/exhaust manifolds, VTEC solenoid). Long block = throttle body to oil pan, all accessories and internals. Complete motor.

So would you be getting a bare block, or a short block? Does what you can get have a cylinder head included, or will you have to get that? Cams?

Yes, you will need new manifolds.

Yes, you will need a transmission AND shift linkage. Any B series standard transmission will work, and they each have their ups and downs. Research before choosing.

Yes, you will need B series axles and intermediate shaft.

Yes, you will need either the proper ECU, or a chipped ECU that has been set up for your motor

No, you shouldn't need a wiring harness. You may need a jumper harness for the ECU, and you most likely will have to re-pin a few things, but you don't need to replace the whole thing.

Yes, you'll need new coolant lines.

Yes, you will need mounts, as well as a rear T bracket. Hasport isn't the only option out there - look around before you set your sights on one company.

Foremost, though, you need to sit down and read the FAQ sticky. Things like this is exactly what it exists for. You could also check my build thread for assembly information, and if you pay attention, you should be able to see what you need for the most part fairly easily.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:30 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay thanks man appreciate it and it's the motor complete with no manifolds, and would be into a complete d16 vtec eg