Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A2 vs. B16A SIR II

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B16A2 vs. B16A SIR II

What I would like to know is what sensors does the B16A2 have that the B16A SIR II doesn't and visa versa in order for the B16A SIR II to pass emissions testing.

And what would it take to get the B16A SIR II to pass emissions testing in Tennessee. Would swapping over to an OBDII head solve most, if not all, of the differences?

Also, the B16A SIR II is in a '00 Civic coupe.

TIA
Old 06-02-2007, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B16A2 vs. B16A SIR II (EX-T)

the hell with changing a head for that look around for a good hookup to overlook the emissions part i say will cost u more but way less then changing a head
Old 06-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A2 vs. B16A SIR II (civicsi401)

What are you talking about a good hookup? Since I have an OBD1 ECU, when the emissions testing people plug up the scanner to the port, it will not see an ECU! I need an OBD2 ECU and whatever else is different between the two motors.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The B16A2 has a crankshaft flux sensor on the oil pump housing, also has a canister purge valve on the fuel rail, secondary o2 sensor IN THE CAT. The dizzy pinouts are different and the OBD data will not stream correctly for the vehicle stated. Since yours is a 2000, you must run a 2000 civic si PCM with the purge valve on the rail, and the crank flux sensor on the oil pump housing. Passing emissions might be a hit or miss due to the camshafts, and additional .2:1 compression, but then again ive never had emissions, so I dont know how picky they get, but those are your only differences. Just a hint, but running an ethanol based fuel helps since it contains more oxygen in the fuel, and less HC because of the dilution.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A2 vs. B16A SIR II (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The B16A2 has a crankshaft flux sensor on the oil pump housing, also has a canister purge valve on the fuel rail, secondary o2 sensor IN THE CAT. The dizzy pinouts are different and the OBD data will not stream correctly for the vehicle stated. Since yours is a 2000, you must run a 2000 civic si PCM with the purge valve on the rail, and the crank flux sensor on the oil pump housing. Passing emissions might be a hit or miss due to the camshafts, and additional .2:1 compression, but then again ive never had emissions, so I dont know how picky they get, but those are your only differences. Just a hint, but running an ethanol based fuel helps since it contains more oxygen in the fuel, and less HC because of the dilution.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So will I need to get the whole fuel rail or can I just get the purge valve? Is PCM another name for the ECU? How do I get the OBD data to stream correctly?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

if you were to run that same b16 sir II w/ a obd2 ecu/dizzy and your obd2 harness, with an 99-00 EM1 ecu..would that allow you to pass?

my boy was telling me some shyt about this the other day but my memory is sketchy
Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

theres a thread on here about bypassing the crankshaft fluctuation sensor (which you have to do with the sirII swap) which i had to do when i did the swap. i don't know about the fuel rail problem since i'm running the aem rail and regulator setup on my em1. run the obd2 ecu and distributor with your wiring harness and you should be fine.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SickSi99)

Since when did TN have emissions. They sure didn't care when I lived there.

Unless Nashville is different nowadays.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (sauceja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since when did TN have emissions. They sure didn't care when I lived there.

Unless Nashville is different nowadays.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Although I've never lived there - they're not really too hard on emissions ****.

Call the inspection station and see what their emissions requirements are for each specific gas - then put 'em up here - I'm sure somebody from cali would be able to tell you what you need to get each # below the requirements to pass.

You can PROBABLY bypass the crank pos. sensor by jumping it with the right ohm resistor. You'll have to find out what it's supposed to read for optimal working, and just jump it with that.

You need the whole fuel rail with the canister on it, the canister won't fit onto your current rail - it's a different setup. Also, if there's an OBD change you're gonna need to change injectors (which you'll have to rewire the injector plugs) as well as re-wire the dizzy plug for the new dizzy plug to fit (unless you transplant the guts).

Then obviously, if you're using a different ECU OBD than the car you'll need a conversion harness.

You'll need the new cat since ripping it apart isn't really possible unless you think you're that good with a cutting wheel and a welding torch...then you'd have to hunt for a smashed car with that cat anyways to find the O2 sensor b/c I don't think they just sell that O2 sensor, they might though, I could be wrong, I don't have any exp w/ the O2 sensor inside the cat .

Old 06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since when did TN have emissions. They sure didn't care when I lived there.

Unless Nashville is different nowadays.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For OBD1 vehicles they put the sniffer in the tailpipe, OBD2 vehicles have the OBD scanner hooked up. And almost all counties touching Davidson (Nashville) have emissions testing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Although I've never lived there - they're not really too hard on emissions ****.

Call the inspection station and see what their emissions requirements are for each specific gas - then put 'em up here - I'm sure somebody from cali would be able to tell you what you need to get each # below the requirements to pass.

You can PROBABLY bypass the crank pos. sensor by jumping it with the right ohm resistor. You'll have to find out what it's supposed to read for optimal working, and just jump it with that.

You need the whole fuel rail with the canister on it, the canister won't fit onto your current rail - it's a different setup. Also, if there's an OBD change you're gonna need to change injectors (which you'll have to rewire the injector plugs) as well as re-wire the dizzy plug for the new dizzy plug to fit (unless you transplant the guts).

Then obviously, if you're using a different ECU OBD than the car you'll need a conversion harness.

You'll need the new cat since ripping it apart isn't really possible unless you think you're that good with a cutting wheel and a welding torch...then you'd have to hunt for a smashed car with that cat anyways to find the O2 sensor b/c I don't think they just sell that O2 sensor, they might though, I could be wrong, I don't have any exp w/ the O2 sensor inside the cat .

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It wouldn't do me any good to call them to see what the emissions requirements for each specific gas is as they don't put the sniffer in the tailpipe b/c my car is a 2000.

I've got an OBD2 distributor on it and just repinned the distributor plug with an OBD2 Civic EX connector.

Again, the vehicle is OBD2 and I'm wanting it to pass emission with an OBD1 ECU/engine in the car. I already have a p28 with an OBD2b-OBD1 conversion harness in it.

As for the O2 sensor being in the cat. It's not actually in the cat! There is a O2 bung on the cat for the sensor to screw into.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SickSi99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theres a thread on here about bypassing the crankshaft fluctuation sensor (which you have to do with the sirII swap) which i had to do when i did the swap. i don't know about the fuel rail problem since i'm running the aem rail and regulator setup on my em1. run the obd2 ecu and distributor with your wiring harness and you should be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to have to look for the thread you're talking about.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EX-T)

Or swap out an obd2 oil pump with sensor and use the obd2 engine harness.

The jumper takes care of everything to where you could have and obd2 car for emissions and use the obd1 ecu and jumper harness for everything else.

That way you can switch back and forth.

Note to self - Stop sending resumes to Nashville and surrounding counties.

I used to live over in Morristown area northeast of Knoxville back in 99-01
Old 06-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or swap out an obd2 oil pump with sensor and use the obd2 engine harness.

The jumper takes care of everything to where you could have and obd2 car for emissions and use the obd1 ecu and jumper harness for everything else.

That way you can switch back and forth.

Note to self - Stop sending resumes to Nashville and surrounding counties.

I used to live over in Morristown area northeast of Knoxville back in 99-01</TD></TR></TABLE>

No emissions testing up that way. And I would only be making it emission compliant just to run it the the emissions testing. A soon as I get back home, the turbo would be going back on and the ECU and RC injectors.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx god we dont got that emission b/s in FL!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stay OBD2 to pass emissions. The CKF sensor is not integral to the oil pump housing, it simply bolts to it. Its only function is to determine misfire conditions, the Crank Sensor in the distributor is what triggers the ignition, but OBD2 will require this because it has to have a way of determining misfires based on erratic crankshaft speeds that occur with a misfire.

The purge valve should mount on the sir2 rail, but you will need to run a vacuum hose into the intake manifold to pass (they check all that crap, make sure it looks similar to the VECI label under your hood, and if you don't have one, find a picture of one from a 99-00si.

You WILL NEED an OBD2 ECU (P2T) in order to pass emissions. Since your car is OBD2, it must have that same equipment come test time. Also, in some areas, your car must pass every monitor in which the ECU runs, if the test for... say... the Catalyst Efficiency Monitor has not ran (because you disconnected the battery to clear all the DTC's) they will fail you because your car has not ran all of its tests. It can take as long as 3 days for the ECU to run every test.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cubanboy)

but what hella sux about obdII,is that you can't chipp obdII ecu's
Old 06-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stay OBD2 to pass emissions. The CKF sensor is not integral to the oil pump housing, it simply bolts to it. Its only function is to determine misfire conditions, the Crank Sensor in the distributor is what triggers the ignition, but OBD2 will require this because it has to have a way of determining misfires based on erratic crankshaft speeds that occur with a misfire.

The purge valve should mount on the sir2 rail, but you will need to run a vacuum hose into the intake manifold to pass (they check all that crap, make sure it looks similar to the VECI label under your hood, and if you don't have one, find a picture of one from a 99-00si.

You WILL NEED an OBD2 ECU (P2T) in order to pass emissions. Since your car is OBD2, it must have that same equipment come test time. Also, in some areas, your car must pass every monitor in which the ECU runs, if the test for... say... the Catalyst Efficiency Monitor has not ran (because you disconnected the battery to clear all the DTC's) they will fail you because your car has not ran all of its tests. It can take as long as 3 days for the ECU to run every test.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know I have to have an OBD2 ECU to pass, that's common sense. Secondly, they don't pop the hood to see if you have the correct labels to see if vacuum lines are in the right place. Thirdly, I know they don't test every monitor b/c I've reset my CEL 10 minutes before I got to the testing facility 2 years in a row in my '99 EX to pass b/c I don't have a catalytic converter on the car and it passed both times.

So I need the CKF, purge valve and the ECU to pass.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know I have to have an OBD2 ECU to pass, that's common sense. Secondly, they don't pop the hood to see if you have the correct labels to see if vacuum lines are in the right place. Thirdly, I know they don't test every monitor b/c I've reset my CEL 10 minutes before I got to the testing facility 2 years in a row in my '99 EX to pass b/c I don't have a catalytic converter on the car and it passed both times.

So I need the CKF, purge valve and the ECU to pass.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if your going to a hack shop that doesn't give a damn, then yea, you can get away with it, but some of us aren't so fortunate. In PA they have cops that drive around and pull people over and ensure that their emissions equipment (mostly just the cat) is still intact. It is required by most states that perform emissions to perform a thorough visual inspection of the vehicles equipment. If your state does the OBD test, your car must pass all of its monitors or else they will fail you and tell you to come back in a week without killing the battery. Some do a simple MIL inspection to make sure it works and is off.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well if your going to a hack shop that doesn't give a damn, then yea, you can get away with it, but some of us aren't so fortunate. In PA they have cops that drive around and pull people over and ensure that their emissions equipment (mostly just the cat) is still intact. It is required by most states that perform emissions to perform a thorough visual inspection of the vehicles equipment. If your state does the OBD test, your car must pass all of its monitors or else they will fail you and tell you to come back in a week without killing the battery. Some do a simple MIL inspection to make sure it works and is off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not that I'm going to a hack shop, they just aren't that thorough. They obviously just do a MIL test to make sure it's not on and we don't have cops that run around town and pull people over just to inspect their car. If you have up to date tags on your car here in TN, the police don't really mess with you!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good stuff, I wish PA was that laid back, it sucks.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the b16a2 has a knock sensor the sirII doesnt...i dont think it messes up emissions but i know it de-tunes the car some. take a peek at it...just above the oil filter.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A2 vs. B16A SIR II (93egSLEEPER13)

sir2 has a knock sensor, because i have one and it came with the swap..... its also on the pinout chart, know what your talking about before you post....