Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16a smoking in vtec..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post b16a smoking in vtec..

Ok I bought this car bout 3 to 4 mouths ago and its been runing great.... To give a background on the motor: It has cams and cam gears, it has had a mild port and polish job done, valves and valve springs... My friend has had his b16a for a while and I dont think his smokes more than mine...

My question is does these motors smoke a lil in vtec or any at all, or is there something else that might be a problem.. The smoke is like a black smoke kinda...

Any input will help..
Old 04-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a smoking in vtec..

its vtec. vtec uses alot of oil. my gsr has 30k on the motor and it smokes in vtec as well. all my vtec motors ive had always smokes a little tiny bit, but not like it would smoke if the valve seals went bad. i could be wrong thats just my experiences. so if im wrong please inform me if someone knows better cause ive always wondered myself if it was normal
Old 04-09-2009, 06:59 AM

well, your in the same boat as i am. no, a car should not always smoke just because its in vtec.. Honda made the motors well enough, and just like my last 99 em1, it was clean as can be never smoked. The reason being, it was driven the right way and maintained.

My current b16a2 smokes like a pothead on 4/20 and that just isn't good. i'm picking up some ctr pistons off a friend of mine for 75 brand new, so along with those i'll order some piston rings. My piston rings are just shot from the last couple owners hamming on it all day, every day. So during daily driving, i produce a lot of white smoke (coolant) and if i do cross over into vtec, its a mass black cloud (carbon) but right before the black over takes everything, you see blue smoke (oil).

so my suggestion to you:
Keep a close eye on your oil level, and stay out of vtec. No need to keep mashin the gas until you get it fixed. I'm betting its your piston rings.

or could also be valve seals. Does it smoke ONLY when you raise the rpm's, or does it smoke regardless?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shoklid
its vtec. vtec uses alot of oil. my gsr has 30k on the motor and it smokes in vtec as well. all my vtec motors ive had always smokes a little tiny bit, but not like it would smoke if the valve seals went bad. i could be wrong thats just my experiences. so if im wrong please inform me if someone knows better cause ive always wondered myself if it was normal
Not true. Many people do report seeing smoke when vtec engages but this is not normal, this happens with engine wear/age.

Edit: Is your car just running rich? It has upgraded cams/valves/gears...was it tuned? Is it on a proper ECU?

Last edited by kp; 04-09-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:02 AM

um that could be either your piston rings or running rich and only if the smoke is blue
Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im running a little rich i have a little tps issue so i think thats why not sure tho. what else makes a motor run rich? and my motor is 30k pretty new. and it only smokes in vtec. i dnt notice it but when ppl r behind me they say it smokes very lite. so can it be smoking from running rich? or a bigger issue
Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it can smoke from running rich. Does your oil level seem to be going down at all?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

prob about half a quart to a full quart every oil change i guess
Old 04-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... It only smokes in vtec and is a black smoke.... I beleave the motor was tuned but he didnt say.... Its runing on a p30 with mugan chip.... I plan on fixing the problem before i proceed to do anyhting else.... I was maybe goin to boost it maybe soon so maybe swaping the pistons and rings might be my best way to go... my freind who had the same set I beleive he used ls pistons to lower his compresion...i think thats right... Since it is smoking would this be a beter idea than to just put stock back in it?...

Thanks for all the input..
Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys. .i got kinda the same problem. i recently bought a eg with a b16a and everytime it hits vtec black smoke comes out the exhaust and ends up making my rear bumper dirty. its loosing oil aswell. .anyone know what the problem could be? valve stem seals or rings? or both??
Old 03-03-2010, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my built D smokes in VTEC and its done that since day one (well not really day one, more like since break in). But its because i have a big PTW clearance, which makes my motor sound like a diesel. So at high oil pressures some oil is able to get around the rings due to the large PTW clearance.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a compression and leakdown test. My b16a never smoked in vtec and was perfectly healthy. You probably just have worn rings and burn oil when the oil pressure is high. That's my guess.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Trial User

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I've heard from friends and read all over the internet that most VTEC engines will blow a little smoke when VTEC kicks in. I just got a D15B from a guy who claimed he got the engine from an Import company in Tacoma WA. and it only has about 71k to 75k on it. After I got the engine put into my 91 CRX and i made it home I noticed the PCV hose had hole in it. It smoked like a pig at High RPM's and left black **** all over my bumper until I changed the hose. Once I changed the hose, my wife fallowed me home and said she saw a little puff of white-ish smoke when i really got on it. I wanted to see what it looked like for myself so I fallowed her around and it only smoked when she hammered down on the accelerator.??????? to make a long story short..... IS IT NORMAL????? Could the blow by in the intake make it smoke? How long could it take for the oil to burn off from the pcv valve letting oil in? I've been searching all over for the right answer and everyone says "rings" "Valve seal guides" Could I maybe use thicker oil? I am using Quakerstate 10w30 high mileage oil now. I'm just hoping the smoke is just from the pcv valve not working properly and the engine is just burning the oil that slipped past. I checked my oil today and it's still at a good level (just below the top dot, where it was a few days ago) I'm also not burning coolant. I was gonna do a compression test but i just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions other than bad rings. I just paid $1200 for the engine, tranny, ecu and i really don't want to rebuild this damn thing already. The guy also gave me a b16 ecu. Is this ok to use with a D15B?

Sorry for the long post....
Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Papercut86
I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I've heard from friends and read all over the internet that most VTEC engines will blow a little smoke when VTEC kicks in. I just got a D15B from a guy who claimed he got the engine from an Import company in Tacoma WA. and it only has about 71k to 75k on it. After I got the engine put into my 91 CRX and i made it home I noticed the PCV hose had hole in it. It smoked like a pig at High RPM's and left black **** all over my bumper until I changed the hose. Once I changed the hose, my wife fallowed me home and said she saw a little puff of white-ish smoke when i really got on it. I wanted to see what it looked like for myself so I fallowed her around and it only smoked when she hammered down on the accelerator.??????? to make a long story short..... IS IT NORMAL????? Could the blow by in the intake make it smoke? How long could it take for the oil to burn off from the pcv valve letting oil in? I've been searching all over for the right answer and everyone says "rings" "Valve seal guides" Could I maybe use thicker oil? I am using Quakerstate 10w30 high mileage oil now. I'm just hoping the smoke is just from the pcv valve not working properly and the engine is just burning the oil that slipped past. I checked my oil today and it's still at a good level (just below the top dot, where it was a few days ago) I'm also not burning coolant. I was gonna do a compression test but i just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions other than bad rings. I just paid $1200 for the engine, tranny, ecu and i really don't want to rebuild this damn thing already. The guy also gave me a b16 ecu. Is this ok to use with a D15B?

Sorry for the long post....
Yes thats normal. Many if not most Honda engines smoke when hitting VTEC/high RPM. And no you should not run a B16 ECU on a D15b. what ECU did he give you btw? (Code)