Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A into EG CX, what length high flow cat do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A into EG CX, what length high flow cat do I need?

Going to be putting the JDM B16A (OBD1) swap into the hatch and I'm thinking that the exhaust and header are going to be way off. I have the OEM header and downpipe or a Focuz header from a USDM '94 GS-R. The last swap I did had a test pipe, that much I can recall, but I cannot remember the length I needed. I'm also installing a brand new Skunk2 N1 exhaust designed for the 92-95 hatch. Don't really want to get the engine installed and then have to wait for another part to get it home.

Thanks H-T!!

Last edited by coffee_junkee; 01-07-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: B16A1 into EG CX, what length high flow cat do I need?

Just FYI - JDM motors do not have a number after the letter. A JDM OBD1 swap is a B16A.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andoxviii
Just FYI - JDM motors do not have a number after the letter. A JDM OBD1 swap is a B16A.
Right on, thanks.

It would make sense that I would need a high flow from an Integra, but hate to buy somewhat expensive item on a hunch...
Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Huh? "A JDM OBD1 swap is a B16A"? do you have any idea how retarded that sounds? The OP made an excellent post, at least as far as describing what he had for a swap. You do realize that there were OBD0, OBD1 and OBD2 JDM B16As right? And that there are numerous other JDM OBD1 swaps that are not B16As (B18Cs and D15Bs for example). I just don't see the purpose of your post, you've added confusion where none previously existed.

To the OP, if you use a stock B16A header, in conjunction with a DX cat and intermediate pipe everything lines up.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Default Re: B16A into EG CX, what length high flow cat do I need?

you can also order a header for a B16 Del sol and it will bolt right up to a factory cat on an EG or EJ
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you!!

I'm going to order a Carsound cat for a DX today.

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Huh? "A JDM OBD1 swap is a B16A"? do you have any idea how retarded that sounds? The OP made an excellent post, at least as far as describing what he had for a swap. You do realize that there were OBD0, OBD1 and OBD2 JDM B16As right? And that there are numerous other JDM OBD1 swaps that are not B16As (B18Cs and D15Bs for example). I just don't see the purpose of your post, you've added confusion where none previously existed.

To the OP, if you use a stock B16A header, in conjunction with a DX cat and intermediate pipe everything lines up.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Inliner
you can also order a header for a B16 Del sol and it will bolt right up to a factory cat on an EG or EJ
Is the cat the same on a CX and DX?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing this exact same swap into my 94 CX. The exhaust has been one of my most dreaded future problems. This has been eye-opening for both of us.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the cx piping will not be able to bolted up at all. i just did the same swap last month and was looking for the same answers. the cx cat is towards the front of the header not underneath like other models. You are going to have to have the piping cut and then have the cat welded in between your b16 header and cx piping. Just pick out a nice cat and take the car over to a muffler shop and have them hook you up.!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8

Whoa, easy there champ. You are misunderstanding what I said and taking it out of context.

I simply told him that if he had a "JDM OBD1 B16", it was a B16A, NOT a B16A1 as he posted.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoa, easy there champ. You are misunderstanding what I said and taking it out of context.

I simply told him that if he had a "JDM OBD1 B16", it was a B16A, NOT a B16A1 as he posted.
^^Same difference after B16a (B16a1) theirs B16a2 and B16a3, sometimes I call my B16a an B16a1 people still understand what I'm talking about...
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 AM

lol...i got confused too....i guess coffee_junkee edited his thread before we all could see what he wrote...lol...problem solved....
Old 01-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by T3KNiQe
^^Same difference after B16a (B16a1) theirs B16a2 and B16a3, sometimes I call my B16a an B16a1 people still understand what I'm talking about...
Definitely, I agree.

But I put a "FYI" in front of it, just so the op knew I was throwing that information out there for his benefit. I wanted to make sure he knew exactly which motor he had before making other decisions on his swap.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by .Hookedonhatch.
the cx piping will not be able to bolted up at all. i just did the same swap last month and was looking for the same answers. the cx cat is towards the front of the header not underneath like other models. You are going to have to have the piping cut and then have the cat welded in between your b16 header and cx piping. Just pick out a nice cat and take the car over to a muffler shop and have them hook you up.!
I will not use any of the original exhaust, which is why I wanted to know the length of cat I would need. Nothing worse than spending this kind of cash on a car and having a cobbled up exhaust. :D
Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by coffee_junkee
I will not use any of the original exhaust, which is why I wanted to know the length of cat I would need. Nothing worse than spending this kind of cash on a car and having a cobbled up exhaust. :D
Don't get the N1 your not gonna like it. I STRONGLY suggest the Apex'i GT cat back, the best bang for the buck.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xXvtec5kXx
lol...i got confused too....i guess coffee_junkee edited his thread before we all could see what he wrote...lol...problem solved....
Naw he wrote B16A1 in the topic title by mistake.
No biggie, we all understand what he is asking anyhow.

PS: The N1 is pretty loud, I dunno what you like but the WS2 is quieter while still giving great flow. I regret getting the skunk2 instead of the WS2.

p.s. 94EG8 knows his ****, I would trust his advice...but that's just me.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by T3KNiQe
Don't get the N1 your not gonna like it. I STRONGLY suggest the Apex'i GT cat back, the best bang for the buck.
Where were you the other day before I clicked the "buy it now"??

I will likely drive around with the silencer installed most of the time anyway.

Thanks to all for the tips, going to order a cat for a DX, which according to NAPA is the same as an Si...
Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a cx has the cat on the header. and a dx has the cat after the down pipe. i would get a bigger cat then a dx because i think that the diameter is too small for a b16a. well it will work but yuo just get better performance with a larger diameter just my .02
Old 01-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to be honest, i just used to drive open header with the cat and muffler to a muffler shop, have them weld it however i wanted it (diameter, over axle/under axle etc.) and spend $150. i would save the extra money and buy another part. that's just me though.

as for those who prefer the mandrel bent exhaust systems, ebay sells a package of two "U" shaped mandrel bent pieces, in any diameter, for like 50 bucks. done and done.

or, to ignore what ive said here, the dx cat should work.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by coffee_junkee
Is the cat the same on a CX and DX?
That depends on what country you live in, US CXs have the cat integrated into the exhaust manifold, the DX has it between the downpipe and the intermediate pipe. Canadian CXs however use the same exhaust (and engine) as the US DX, Canadian DXs are pretty much identical the their US cousins. The last engine swap I did was an OBD1 JDM B16A into a '93 canadian CX hatch, the swap for whatever reason came with an OBD0 exhaust manifold (has 2 O2 sensor bungs right next to each other on the back of the manifold) and downpipe that we ended up using, everything bolted up like it was always there, as far as I can tell the OBD1 factory manifold is exactly the same length.

In that case I appologize, but you have to understand that the OP edited his post before I saw that, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI - if you live in cali. u can't buy aftermarket cats anymore as of 1/1/09.

i have the same setup on my 94 eg. DC header. 2.5 full high flow cat, matched to an ES muffler. sounds beefy...

anyone know what is the best "aftermarket cat" to pass smog here in our greatland of smog ***** california?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 95 canadian cx and it has a stock exhaust manifold with the cat integrated in.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by whitericethinktwice
i have a 95 canadian cx and it has a stock exhaust manifold with the cat integrated in.
What I think you mean is you have a CX that was built in Canada. Theres a difference. Canadian CXs (IE the ones destined to be sold in Canada are not the same cars as the ones destined to be sold in the US. Most if not all of them were built in Aliston Ontario, Canada.