Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s

I dropped my tranny last night (2 hours ) for what I hoped was a throw out bearing. Turned out it's the input shaft bearing. Has anyone had any first hand knowledge on changing this out? I am not looking forward to cracking the tranny case and seriously considering giving this job to a tranny shop. Also are the bearings USDM/JDM tranny interchangable? I have the JDM tranny but I assume USDM bearing should work.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2003, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s (nsxmatt)

The bearings should be the same size. If in doubt, measure the one you have with a caliper and compare that to the dimensions on the replacement.

There are two bearings on this shaft, one that is locked into the clutch cover (with a bolt and cover) and one that floats at the top of the shaft. There is no pulling, no pressing, very little fuss if you're confortable cracking the case open.

Modified by PupaScoopa at 10:00 AM 6/4/2003
Old 06-04-2003, 09:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dropped my tranny last night (2 hours ) for what I hoped was a throw out bearing. Turned out it's the input shaft bearing. Has anyone had any first hand knowledge on changing this out? I am not looking forward to cracking the tranny case and seriously considering giving this job to a tranny shop. Also are the bearings USDM/JDM tranny interchangable? I have the JDM tranny but I assume USDM bearing should work.

Thanks in advance!</TD></TR></TABLE>

what were the tell-tell signs that made you check this out, chatter noises? I'm dropping my tranny this weekend to inpsect where this "chattering" noise is coming from. it only happens at idle when the A/c is on. the local transmission guy said it's either my flywheel or input drive shaft bearings. hard to tell without looking inside.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:45 PM

I have a '92 gsr with 112K miles, input shaft bearing is going out..
and a '94 del sol vtec with 124K miles, input shaft bearing going out..

my friend had a 90 integra, we changed his input shaft bearing at about 189K miles, it sounded like complete ****..

in neutral, let the clutch out all the way and listen, it starts as a "SSHHHH" sound
if you push in the clutch, it goes completely silent..

pulling away in first and second you'll start to hear noise, almost like a tapping or a knocking, kind of like the clicking that a bad C-V joint makes, but without the feel.

It's not that hard.. with the tranny off, you can do it very easily..
put the new bearing in the freezer so it'll be frozen when you put it in..
PM me if you need any help, I have some diagrams that you'd probably like..

good luck

you might want to put a new clutch/flywheel in there while you've got it all open..
Old 06-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s (1point7T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1point7T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a '92 gsr with 112K miles, input shaft bearing is going out..
and a '94 del sol vtec with 124K miles, input shaft bearing going out..

my friend had a 90 integra, we changed his input shaft bearing at about 189K miles, it sounded like complete ****..

in neutral, let the clutch out all the way and listen, it starts as a "SSHHHH" sound
if you push in the clutch, it goes completely silent..

pulling away in first and second you'll start to hear noise, almost like a tapping or a knocking, kind of like the clicking that a bad C-V joint makes, but without the feel.

It's not that hard.. with the tranny off, you can do it very easily..
put the new bearing in the freezer so it'll be frozen when you put it in..
PM me if you need any help, I have some diagrams that you'd probably like..

good luck

you might want to put a new clutch/flywheel in there while you've got it all open..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the pointers!

Well I orignally thought it was the throw out bearing so I bought a OEM Type R clutch kit so that's ready to go in.

When I put it in neutral and let out on the clutch it would make a rattle noise, like a golf ball rolling around in a metal case. Push the clutch in and the noise went away. Start to take off in 1st and 2nd and the noise was there even when slowing down with the clutch pushed in. Took the tranny out, throw out was worn but not too bad. Turned the input shaft on the tranny by hand and the noise was there. There also was some play in it. Then I knew it was something else.

I can get the input bearing from work for $25 and I may as well get the other one too. One question, when I remove the case will everything come out easy enough or will I need to watch for all the gears to fly off Just making sure before I crack open the tranny.

Thanks again guys for the help!!!
Old 06-05-2003, 05:02 AM

Default Re: B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s (1point7T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1point7T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in neutral, let the clutch out all the way and listen, it starts as a "SSHHHH" sound if you push in the clutch, it goes completely silent..

pulling away in first and second you'll start to hear noise, almost like a tapping or a knocking, kind of like the clicking that a bad C-V joint makes, but without the feel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do inpsect the input shaft? should there be some play in it? is it just bearings you'll have to replace or the whole assembly?
Old 06-05-2003, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s (4-banging)

Hmmm...my tranny is making a strange noise as well. It's more like a "whirring" sound not a grind or click...kinda like the sound when you are going in reverse only higher pitched. I thought it might be my input shaft bearing as well...or possibly my pilot bearing...it's hard to tell...
Old 06-05-2003, 06:58 AM

Default Re: B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s (DevinW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DevinW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmmm...my tranny is making a strange noise as well. It's more like a "whirring" sound not a grind or click...kinda like the sound when you are going in reverse only higher pitched. I thought it might be my input shaft bearing as well...or possibly my pilot bearing...it's hard to tell... </TD></TR></TABLE>

The bearing can also make a whining noise when it's going out.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One question, when I remove the case will everything come out easy enough or will I need to watch for all the gears to fly off Just making sure before I crack open the tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah... unfortunatley, when you crack it open, a bunch of springs, shafts, gears and ***** will come flying out. Just kidding! It's not too bad. Getting the case closed and seated seems to be more difficult for me than seperating it. Make sure to seal it with Hondabond or some RTV silicone.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:13 AM

Default Re: B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s (DevinW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DevinW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmmm...my tranny is making a strange noise as well. It's more like a "whirring" sound not a grind or click...kinda like the sound when you are going in reverse only higher pitched. I thought it might be my input shaft bearing as well...or possibly my pilot bearing...it's hard to tell... </TD></TR></TABLE>

If the sounds goes away when you engage the clutch, then I would say that your pilot and release bearing are OK. Anyone agree.

Old 06-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s (4-banging)

UPDATE

I cracked the tranny case and removed the gears and inspected the bearings. All the others seem fine but I look at the input shaft bearing and low and behold half the ball bearings are missing and two of the 4 left are kinda square I looked in the bottom of the case and all the remains were there by the magnet. All the teeth look to be good and I plan on looking it over real good tonight. I ordered a new bearing and seal and should be here in the morning. I should then be able to throw it back together and break in the new clutch.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry Newbie here

Can any one give me a part number for the input baring in a del-sol vtec trans?
The measurements of the baring are
id 28mm
od 60mm
and the thickness is 15mm
Old 03-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

Default Re: B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s (92-98hb)

Modified by CardDealer at 5:01 PM 11/16/2006
Old 03-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s (schlit)

It's cake. Check out the thread by BauleyCivic on how he replaced his. I had a Helms and that post and would have had the tranny apart and fixed in under an hour if the right bearing had been ordered the first time. My only advice, order the damn bearing from Honda the first time. I tried Advace 3 times before I gave up and ordered the Honda part.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can someone help me I have been to the Honda dealer several times with no luck?
Can any one give me a Honda part number for the input baring in a 95 b16 Trans?
The measurements of the baring are
28mm 60mm 15mm

Modified by 92-98hb at 12:48 PM 4/3/2005
Old 04-03-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: (92-98hb)

goodluck, if the hydro dies out its always a good idea 2 go w/ a lsd trans.
Did you have to replace the bearing about this time last year also?
Old 04-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92-98hb)

Man, back from the dead!

I'll get the part number for you tomorrow at work. With the way these trannys cost used, it's much better to rebuild and replace parts in them.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 Input Shaft Bearing ?'s (schlit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll be lucky if you havent ground something else up already. Once the input shaft ball bearings let loose, the transmission is usually done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess I was lucky, I have pounded the tranny with 8k rpm clutch drops on slicks for well over a year and it's doing fine