Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16 in hatch wiring nightmare, car fried battery. Chassie ground is red hot? any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 in hatch wiring nightmare, car fried battery. Chassie ground is red hot? any ideas?

So here is the story:
I own a 1993 honda civic hatch CX. I just bought a 1994 honda delsol vtec with the b16a3 with a few bolt ons (camgears, fuel rail, FPR, BBK TB, DC header) maybe a few more, but you get the point. I stayed up all night (still havent slept) taking the motor out of the delsol, and the hatch, and swapping the b16 into the hatch. Everything went normal, ad 7AM rolled around and the car was road ready. I took it for a spin to the gas station (ran great) fueld up, and on the way back (apx 1 mile) I got after the car to see what it would do (the motor has 123k on it) and 8000rpms came around and the car hit revlimiter (just once) and i lost all power to anything. I coasted 1/4 mile and stopped at the firestation. My battery was bubbling battery acid. I quickly undid the termanals and removed the battery. I walked home, not very far, and got a ride with one of my buddies that helped me with the swap. We hooked up a new battery and the chassie ground that goes from tranny to chassie was RED hot. We again quickly undid the battery and looked. couldnt find anything that may couse a big issue. Eventually we moved things around and the cars valve cover (front left bolt) was sparking. Ive checked all wires, ground, power sources, anything i could and it all looks normal. What could be my problem??

Some things that may help:
-used Hasport VTEC wire harness to wire vtec. The engine harness already was wired for it (b16a3 harness) but the body was not (93 civic)

- Freon from my AC system was on the chassie where the ground was, this happed when cutting out the AC.

Can u please help me. Thanks guys
Old 10-21-2006, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 in hatch wiring nightmare, car fried battery. Chassie ground is red hot? any ideas? (bpwrdeg

you either have a short in your power wire going from the battery to the fuse box or to the altenantor those are the only 2 wires in the car that are not fused or you have a bad ground i would say the bad ground sounds more like your prob i would check the ground from your battery to the chassis make sure its tight and free of rust then check your ground from the engine block to the chassis you could even go to circuit city buy some 4 guage ground and reground the block and check the altenator ground one of these will def fix your prob.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 in hatch wiring nightmare, car fried battery. Chassie ground is red hot? any ideas? (bpwrdeg

Figured out one thing on it, but still a problem presists. The wire where the battery goes to the starter was hitting off the block, causing the ground wire to be hot. We fixed that expecting it to work...wrong. Turned the key on, everything was fine, went to start it, and the relay clicked as if the battery was dead. when clicking the front left bold on the valve cover was sparking. Any ideas?