Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b swap with d series auto transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b swap with d series auto transmission?

I'm picking up an 99-00 ex in a couple weeks and since my family will be driving it, they want one with an automatic transmission, plus they'll be paying for almost all of it if I get one with an auto Is it possible to attach the stock d series automatic transmission onto a b series engine? I know a custom adapter plate would be a must but beyond that I have no clue. Thanks guys!

(btw I'd pick up an EM1 and say forget all of this but no one must believe in the ACTUAL kbb prices since prices are out of this world for those cars currently in this wonderful economy)
Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b swap with d series auto transmission?

Originally Posted by topher5657
I'm picking up an 99-00 ex in a couple weeks and since my family will be driving it, they want one with an automatic transmission, plus they'll be paying for almost all of it if I get one with an auto Is it possible to attach the stock d series automatic transmission onto a b series engine? I know a custom adapter plate would be a must but beyond that I have no clue. Thanks guys!

(btw I'd pick up an EM1 and say forget all of this but no one must believe in the ACTUAL kbb prices since prices are out of this world for those cars currently in this wonderful economy)
No I dont see that happening at all. Because you would need a B series auto ECu which is super rare in the first place, and you would have to have a custom setup to load it with variable for the D series tranny (I dont even know if this is possible). And it would be super slow either way considering that Honda autos are POS's and they shift slow as hell in the first place. Plus you dont want to put any extra pressure on the shitty Auto tranny or it will probably just die.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured the transmission couldn't handle the stress from the engine anyways. Thanks a lot for getting back so quickly, and with a real answer.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by topher5657
I figured the transmission couldn't handle the stress from the engine anyways. Thanks a lot for getting back so quickly, and with a real answer.
ya np
Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A: D-series transmission wont bolt to B-series engine
B: You can't use an adapter plate with an automatic unless you also make a custom torque converter to account for the extra inch or so
C: No ECU with control the thing properly
D: Automatic B-series tranny wont clear the frame rail in a '96 - '00 Civic.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol thread of the year!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
B: You can't use an adapter plate with an automatic unless you also make a custom torque converter to account for the extra inch or so
Will it really not clear the frame? I've never even seen one but I can't imagine it being that much bigger than a D series tranny.

And @OP, technically you could do a B series swap with a Auto LS tranny, and just go all B series if you really wanted to. But it will still be alot slower than a manual. And it only has 4 gears instead of 5 and usually 5th is 4th in an auto. So it loses alot of headroom.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Youre a pretty smart fella and id hate to question you, but are you positive B series trans wont clear the EK frame rail??

Ive seen an autotragic GS-R swap in an EK and I could probably dig up the pic if youd like me too.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmotors might be able to get you a JDM B16 swap with the auto trans. Another option is a USDM H22 auto swap. I've never personally seen one, but it could be an option. It would have much of a problem getting that Civic to move. Even with the slushbox.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Arthas
Youre a pretty smart fella and id hate to question you, but are you positive B series trans wont clear the EK frame rail??
I've never tried it before but B18C5-EH2's shop tried one of these swap several years ago and they had to notch a piece out of the framerail to make it clear.

Ive seen an autotragic GS-R swap in an EK and I could probably dig up the pic if youd like me too.
There was a guy on here about a year ago or more that an automatic GS-R swap, and he had to do some cutting and welding, and it never did work properly, I think he had planned on putting a 5 speed in it and then hydrolocked it as I recall. The other big issue is wiring in the TCM which is a major pain in the ***. Any engine bay pics of that swap? Good ones that show the mounts?

Hmotors might be able to get you a JDM B16 swap with the auto trans. Another option is a USDM H22 auto swap. I've never personally seen one, but it could be an option. It would have much of a problem getting that Civic to move. Even with the slushbox.
If an automatic B-series swap wont clear an H-series automatic definately wont.