Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

automatic to manual JDM ECU conversion question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic to manual JDM ECU conversion question.

i have heard that i cannot convert a JDM auto ECu to Manual. i have no clue for what reasons. yet i do noticed that the JDM ecus are square rather than rectangle.

i have a P08 obd1 ecu and want to convert it like the P28s out there. with the P28, i know you just delete the RP17, and add a jumper to RP18.

yet does anyone know a way to convert a JDM ECU to manual? or is it possible? or im just hearing wrong?

any help gladly appreciated! *thumbs up*
Old 02-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: automatic to manual JDM ECU conversion question.

anyone?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I converted my auto P08 to manual a while back thanks to fine people at honda tech .
You have to desolder the rp18 resister on the back of the board and put a new one in...don't remember exactly which resister you need...I'll try to look it up for you....Here's a pic of mine(radio shack didnt have the flat resistors so I had to improvise):
Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1-k ohm 1/8-watt the one I used says "carbon-film resistor"...don't know if that matters though.Good luck!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello guys!

I know the thread is old but I hope someone still reads it and help me with my problem. I've read all the posts in every page of how to convert the ECU from auto to manual, and when I decided this morning to make the convertion in my car, I got a big surprise because the board and circuits are, I think, different from any pictures I've ever seen of that kind of ECU.

I'm attaching some pictures I took of it. My ECU's code is 37820-p08-900 ARJ. My car is an EG8 with a 1.5 SOHC D15B Vtec. The engine was swaped 2 years ago and the technician who did that job couldn't turn off the light, so I took off the bulb from the dashboard to get rid of the annoying light. The engine didn't give me any trouble before, but now that I'm trying to improve the performance of my car buy tuning the engine a bit, I want to solve all the errors of the ECU.

Right now, the Check Light is giving me 3 error codes: Code 19 which is the Automatic Transmission Lockup Control Valve, Code 9 (CYP Cilinder Sensor) and Code 20 (Electronic Load Detector). I was wondering if these two last codes (9 and 20) are because of the Auto ECU.

Hope u guys can help me with my problem quickly. Do I have a wrong ECU that is not P08? What do I have to do in my type of ECU to get it to manual transmission?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:48 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ What country are you in? Some countries didn't get an ELD (you can disable it if you get the ECU chipped and tuned though) Code 19 is because it's an automatic ECU, can be converted to remove the code though. Code 9 usually means a bad distributor housing or bad wiring going to the distributor.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm from Peru and unfortanely get the ECU chipped here is quite expensive. Do you have any ideas on how to get rid of the ELD without the new chip?

I changed yesterday the ECU to manual. I did not look at the back carefully and mistooked the resisters with soldering points haha! They are very tinny. I'm posting the pictures below for other users who have that problem too. Today I changed my distributor's o-ring that was leaking oil, and code 9 dissapeared also.

Do you have any other procedure to turn the ELD code off? It would be very appreciated!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by betacho
Do you have any other procedure to turn the ELD code off? It would be very appreciated!!!
That's really the only way to do it. Some countries had an ELD some didn't, I'm assuming Peru probably didn't have it.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
That's really the only way to do it. Some countries had an ELD some didn't, I'm assuming Peru probably didn't have it.
Yeah it sucks because since I swapped to the jdm engine time ago, the check light never went off... and now that I have finally solved all the error codes of the ecu, I came to this last one that's the most difficult to eliminate without chipping or changing to a new fuse box (I have read) u_u