Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Autocrossers: or (street Autocrossers): has anyone experimented with hx wheels....if so how do they

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocrossers: or (street Autocrossers): has anyone experimented with hx wheels....if so how do they

please post your experience....please share detail...pros, and cons .....thank you
Old 07-31-2002, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Autocrossers: or (street Autocrossers): has anyone experimented with hx wheels....if so how do t

please share.......I know every1 here with hx wheels has at least tried to bank the shyt out of a turn at some point
Old 08-01-2002, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Autocrossers: or (street Autocrossers): has anyone experimented with hx wheels....if so how do t

what the hell are you talking about? they are just 14" light wheels, not much magic there...
Old 08-01-2002, 03:56 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HX wheels are V light [about 12 lbs.] so, they'll work just fine for auto-x, but you'll need to get some race-ready tires; not just fancy street tires, but real racing tires. In 14s that means Kumho V700, Hoosier R3S03, Hoosier A3S03, Yokohama A032R. Hoosiers are the best, but they'll also wear the fastest and flat spot on you pretty easily...
Old 08-01-2002, 04:11 AM
HT White Ops

please share.......I know every1 here with hx wheels has at least tried to bank the shyt out of a turn at some point
Oh, yeah, I did a 50-MPH [posted] downhill sweeper on a set of OEM Firestones at 115-MPH once. My life flashed before my eyes. The tires rolled over on the sidewalls and I almost high-sided into a cement center-divider. Haven't tried it again with my Yokes yet...
Old 08-01-2002, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are they the same size as 14" steelies? if they are then they are fine for autocross. If not they are not legal for stock class.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:24 AM
HT White Ops

Are they the same size as 14" steelies? if they are then they are fine for autocross. If not they are not legal for stock class.
Sorry, bro, but I think you're wrong. SCCA Solo II Stock Class rules allow you to use any DOT-approved tire; any width, as long as it fits inside the fender well.

This is what the 'unofficial' SCCA web site says:

- Any wheel of diameter and width identical to a stock or factory optional wheel, offset within +- 0.25 inch

- Most street legal tires that will fit the mounted wheels and stock bodywork
SOURCE: http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/index.shtml

Since he's running a VX, he'll need to stick with his 13" alloys [which is actually better since they only weigh 9 lbs]. Assuming he's running HS class, he's going to need all the help he can get...
Old 08-02-2002, 03:16 AM
big strong guy

i have couple sets of hx wheels, one set on my street car and another set awaiting hoosier's! i autox on my street tires now ( azeines ) and they work great!! maybe also look into vx wheels if you dont have gsr brakes! vx = lighter, smaller (rip through the gears) good luck, eric
Old 08-02-2002, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I missed the fact that he was driving a VX, so yes the HX wheels are illegal for his car... yeah yeah I knew that You have to use stock sized wheels for your car for stock class. Any other class is fine.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:31 PM
HT White Ops

... yeah yeah I knew that You have to use stock sized wheels for your car for stock class...
Yeah, exactly! OEM sized wheels, but any DOT-approved tire as long as it fits inside the stock fender. Basically, that means 205s with a CiViC...