Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising

when i am driving around the city and its around 3rd gear and i let off the gas it doesnt go into neutral it just kinda revs down real fast i know theres an adjustment for the tranny but where.

the car is a 99 lx civic with a d16y7
Old 09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising (turbohatch96y7)

Your post is somewhat confusing, the automatic tranny shouldn't be shifting into neutral when you let off the gas.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your post is somewhat confusing, the automatic tranny shouldn't be shifting into neutral when you let off the gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2

The torque converter disengages in 4th if you let off the gas, but it doesn't go into neutral unless you physically shift it to the N position. The only adjustment you can make to the automatic (I believe) is the downshift cable, which adjusts the point when downshift occurs at a certain pedal position. From the sounds of it, your car is fine.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising (grandtheftlunchbox)

Unless you have a a cvt, then I think when you take your foot off the pedal it should go into neutral, technically.. Other than that, you're fine.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising (B33FCAK3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B33FCAK3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless you have a a cvt, then I think when you take your foot off the pedal it should go into neutral, technically.. Other than that, you're fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B33FCAK3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless you have a a cvt, then I think when you take your foot off the pedal it should go into neutral, technically.. Other than that, you're fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong!!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising (grandtheftlunchbox)

I know in hybrid cars when you take your foot off the gas pedal/put on the brakes it goes to neutral... Which has a CVT, but it may be the car, not the cvt... bah, idk.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

sorry for all the confusio but i mean the car is slowing down to fast it doesnt coast it is as if i am driving a manuel and the car is reving down
Old 09-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is your overdrive engaged or not? sounds like your overdrive is not engaged so the tranny stays in "sport" mode. you know, more aggressive shift points and more engine breaking.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising (unsungfate)

N0 AT goes into neutral when you let off!!!!!! But I do know what you are getting at. These trans. have Grade Logic and if you are going slightly down grade and going less than about 38mph they downshift into 3rd gear to hold you back, in other words, they downshift like if you had a manual tranny even if you do not want them to. They also have a lock-up torque converter which feels like a shift into 5th gear. It is all annoying. When I bought my car (98 Civic with 38K) it was driving me nuts. I changed the fluid asap. At the same time my friends daughter got a 97 and was bitching about it. I called my cousin who had been a tech at a Honda dealer and he said bring it to his house. As he drove it he started laughing before giving me his diagnosis. He said that when the trannies first came out his dealership had actually replaced a few on NEW cars before the techs learned about the trannies. This was my 4th Civic in a row. I went AT due to a left knee injury. If I knew about the trannies I would have skipped Honda this time even though I really enjoyed my others. I also hate being on the highway and when I give it gas to pull around somebody or increase speed just a bit it comes out of lockup and goes down to 3rd gear. Of course revs go way up. You have to learn to live with it or buy a 5MT.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising (Bad Brian)

^ what he said.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bad Brian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">N0 AT goes into neutral when you let off!!!!!! But I do know what you are getting at. These trans. have Grade Logic and if you are going slightly down grade and going less than about 38mph they downshift into 3rd gear to hold you back, in other words, they downshift like if you had a manual tranny even if you do not want them to. They also have a lock-up torque converter which feels like a shift into 5th gear. It is all annoying. When I bought my car (98 Civic with 38K) it was driving me nuts. I changed the fluid asap. At the same time my friends daughter got a 97 and was bitching about it. I called my cousin who had been a tech at a Honda dealer and he said bring it to his house. As he drove it he started laughing before giving me his diagnosis. He said that when the trannies first came out his dealership had actually replaced a few on NEW cars before the techs learned about the trannies. This was my 4th Civic in a row. I went AT due to a left knee injury. If I knew about the trannies I would have skipped Honda this time even though I really enjoyed my others. I also hate being on the highway and when I give it gas to pull around somebody or increase speed just a bit it comes out of lockup and goes down to 3rd gear. Of course revs go way up. You have to learn to live with it or buy a 5MT.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what this guy said but one thing is wrong. in lower gears, at's are deisgned to go into neutral when the gas is let off. at that is only when the speed is low. this is the reason that when your going 5 mph and coasting and then push the gas it takes a second to engage and you get a little jolt of power that shakes the car. everyone that has driven in an auto knows what im talking about.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Default Re: auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising (davefromPA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davefromPA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what this guy said but one thing is wrong. in lower gears, at's are deisgned to go into neutral when the gas is let off. . </TD></TR></TABLE>

Standard(Not CVT or hybrid) automatic transmissions never come out of gear or go into neutral or engage the flux capacitor or anything like that when you let off the gas.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising (King V)

anybody who thinks that their tranny is in neutral when their foot is off the gas should always sit at red lights with their foot OFF the brakes also. since YOUR tranny is in neutral then somebody else's car will have to be the one that hits the person in front of you!!!!!!! explain that to the cop. the lag time when going slow and then giving it the gas is not from being in neutral, it is all about how a torque converter works. read a freaking book before making up stupid stuff.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

&lt;---- Licensed Journeyman Automotive Tech that works for Honda(if that means anything anymore).

I'd have to say that Bad Brian is correct. Go read a damn book on how an automatic transmission works. Or ****, you don't even have to grab a book. Just go to this link ---&gt; http://auto.howstuffworks.com/...n.htm
Old 09-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: auto tranny doesnt go into nuetral when cruising (EG8R)

EG8R, thanks to you I may sleep tonite. I felt like writing a book here.

the lack of common sense regarding an "in gear AT going ibeing in neutral" is amazing. would any of these people put their tranny into L,2,1,D or whatever and then go stand in front of it while it is running? why not? hey, it really is in neutral if your foot is off the gas. anybody knows that! WTF

some day an old guy like me will show them how to pop-start an AT car with a dead battery by pushing or rolling it fast and dropping it into 1 or L. (been quite a few years sincre I did that though). when it fires up they can explain to us how it was in neutral while it was not running.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i was saying that it doesnt coast like it should and this ahppens all the time even on flat roads i will look at that thing the other guy was saying about sport mode
Old 09-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Nic

sounds your torque converter is bad....
Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B33FCAK3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know in hybrid cars when you take your foot off the gas pedal/put on the brakes it goes to neutral... Which has a CVT, but it may be the car, not the cvt... bah, idk.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well it actually shuts off 3 cylinders and 1 is left running and as soon as you let off the brake the 3 cylinders engage again