Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto to manual NO start!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Auto to manual NO start!

10 dollars paypal to anyone that solves my problem!!!

Ok I have a 96 d16y8 civic ex. I switched it over from auto to manual. I followed this guide step by step.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bfaq%5D-96-00-auto-manual-swap-full-detail-44pics-1337459/

Now I have everything in and the car will not start. When I have the p2p manual ecu in the fuel pump will not prime. I switched the ecu with a extra one I had laying around (p0j) and the fuel pump primed but still no start. I have tried everything and cannot figure it out. I have checked and I am getting spark.

I know I am supposed to use the p2p ecu but why will the fuel pump not prime. Could it be a bad ecu?

Also one thing I noticed different from the 2 ecus is that I have a extra plug that will not go into the p2p. I believe it is just stuff from the automatic tranny stuff but I could be wrong.

Anyone able to help!?!?!

Last edited by harmonator84; 03-22-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Auto to manual NO start!

Is the starter for a manual or automatic?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I have a question for you...does the car at least try to start (crank the engine) or are you getting a "no crank at all" condition?
Ignition truning on with the key? Getting idiot lights in the cluster??? Needs moar details!

IIRC you need to bypass the neutral safety switch that probably still exists on the car from originally being an automatic. That should allow the car to start/crank. IIRC all you should have to do is wire in a little jumper somewhere near the shifter to trick the car into thinking it's in neutral and allowing it to crank...but I could be wrong. MAKE SURE you have the tranny in neutral and the clutch to the floor before trying to crank!!! Do a little searching.

Edit: Just found this in that thread that you had referenced! About 3/4ths of the way down the first page/post...WITH A PICTURE NO LESS!

Quote:"Now this is pretty easy, but then again i love electrical. But all you need to do is connect 5 wires total. One of the plugs that you disconnected from the auto shifter is a 14P plug. Cut the plug off. Your going to have a 2 thick blk wires and 1 blk/blu wire, Solder those 3 together. Those together lets your car think its in park and releases the key and starts your car. Important"

HEY! I WAS right! go me
Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Is the starter for a manual or automatic?
Manual starter.

Originally Posted by jz98ctr
Now I have a question for you...does the car at least try to start (crank the engine) or are you getting a "no crank at all" condition?
Ignition truning on with the key? Getting idiot lights in the cluster??? Needs moar details!

IIRC you need to bypass the neutral safety switch that probably still exists on the car from originally being an automatic. That should allow the car to start/crank. IIRC all you should have to do is wire in a little jumper somewhere near the shifter to trick the car into thinking it's in neutral and allowing it to crank...but I could be wrong. MAKE SURE you have the tranny in neutral and the clutch to the floor before trying to crank!!! Do a little searching.

Edit: Just found this in that thread that you had referenced! About 3/4ths of the way down the first page/post...WITH A PICTURE NO LESS!

Quote:"Now this is pretty easy, but then again i love electrical. But all you need to do is connect 5 wires total. One of the plugs that you disconnected from the auto shifter is a 14P plug. Cut the plug off. Your going to have a 2 thick blk wires and 1 blk/blu wire, Solder those 3 together. Those together lets your car think its in park and releases the key and starts your car. Important"

HEY! I WAS right! go me
Yes the car is cranking..act like it wants to turn over but just will not. I did that trick about wiring the 3 wires together. Still nothing. Thanks for helping though!

Keep the ideas coming guys! I am going to check what codes I am throwing using this method...
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-pull-cel-d4-srs-abs-codes-code-lists-1901557/

Hopefully this will shine some light on my problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok checking the codes and when I put the p2p manual ecu in I get nothing. the check engine light doesnt even come on for some reason.

When I put the auto one in I do get some codes. I am gonna check them real quick and post back. But why would I not recieve any from the manual ecu?!? I am starting to believe I have a bad ecu.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok with the auto p2p ecu in I get 2 codes.

7- TPS - throttle position sensor
14-IAC (EACV) - idle air control valve

Now I believe I am getting the IAC because I have mine wired for 2 wire manual now due to the swap.

Any ideas guys?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why did you do a 2 wire manual swap unless you swapped the intake manifold to a manual one? because the auto d16y8 manifold has a 3 wire IACV. You will need to keep the wiring the way it is to use the original IACV unless you swapped the manifold and put a 2 wire IACV on it. Also you have to jump 2 sets of wires that go into the plug that plugs into the automatic shifter. And make sure that you grounded the wire for the thermostat housing unless you never took it off. Becuase that will cause the fuel pump to not prime.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did the 2 wire swap because I changed my manifold to the manual one. I did keep my auto throttle body but plugged the IACV into the back of the manifold instead.

I just crossed the three wires(2 bigger black wires and 1 small black/blue wire) together and then depinned the ecu plug to set it up for 2 wire IACV.

Checked my ground on my thermostat housing....It was good.

Like I said I am getting a prime with my auto ecu just not with the proper ecu I need to use. p2p manual ecu.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

10 dollars paypal to anyone that solves my problem!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well with my manual p2p ecu in I unplugged abunch of random plugs under the hood. Still no codes were thrown. Soooooooo I believe I have a bad ecu.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I remember Katman saying years ago that using an automatic Y8 harness lead to a know start condition but he didn't know why, Katman's a smart guy, so I'm surprised he hadn't figured it out. I'd PM him, he may have figured it out since then.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
I remember Katman saying years ago that using an automatic Y8 harness lead to a know start condition but he didn't know why, Katman's a smart guy, so I'm surprised he hadn't figured it out. I'd PM him, he may have figured it out since then.
Well according to the thread I posted there I am able to use my automatic harness.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did a auto to manual swap.

make sure you have the switch on park or all the way forward. I am still using my automatic harness still this day. You need to check if you plugged the right plugs into the ecu, atleast 3 should plug in and one plug shouldnt be since thats for the automatic tranny one. Also make sure you have plugged in the green plug. I still used my automatic ecu and it still worked.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xkrazyxjbrkerx75
i did a auto to manual swap.

make sure you have the switch on park or all the way forward. I am still using my automatic harness still this day. You need to check if you plugged the right plugs into the ecu, atleast 3 should plug in and one plug shouldnt be since thats for the automatic tranny one. Also make sure you have plugged in the green plug. I still used my automatic ecu and it still worked.
Ok, what switch are you talking about? The plugs only go one way on the ecu. I just have 3 plugged in. Green plug?

Did you switch your IACV over from 3 wire to 2 wire? annnddd do the depin at the ecu?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by harmonator84
Ok, what switch are you talking about?
The one for the automatic shifter. You don't even need the switch at all, I have no idea why some people leave them there, either remove it and connect the 2 large wires together or do it the right way and rig up the clutch start switch and relay.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, what switch are you talking about? The plugs only go one way on the ecu. I just have 3 plugged in. Green plug?

Did you switch your IACV over from 3 wire to 2 wire? annnddd do the depin at the ecu?
In ur harness you got 4 plugs, 3 plugs that plug into the ecu and a extra one that was used for the automatic tranmission. IM talking about the switch, it was used for the car to go to PARK-REVERSE-DRIVE-NEUTRAL-ETC... It need to be in parked for it to start. And you do not need to switch your IACV over from 3 wire to 2 wire because your not doing a OBD1 Engine swap. But i did switch that over only because i swapped a d16z6 motor in my car which was obd1 that required a 2 wire. But you have a obd2 d16y8 motor so you dont need to do it. That has nothing to do with a manual swap.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Seagull Management

And you do not need to switch your IACV over from 3 wire to 2 wire because your not doing a OBD1 Engine swap. But i did switch that over only because i swapped a d16z6 motor in my car which was obd1 that required a 2 wire. But you have a obd2 d16y8 motor so you dont need to do it. That has nothing to do with a manual swap.
Wrong. Automatic Y8s use a 3 wire IACV, manual Y8s use a 2 wire setup.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Your auto ECU is OBD2a. Is the manual ECU OBD2a or OBD2b? Post pictures of your auto and manual ECUs showing the ECU code numbers.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wrong. Automatic Y8s use a 3 wire IACV, manual Y8s use a 2 wire setup.
Oh well i had a y7 and it was a 3 wire. Switched to a z6 and swapped to 2 wire.
MY BAD!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Your auto ECU is OBD2a. Is the manual ECU OBD2a or OBD2b? Post pictures of your auto and manual ECUs showing the ECU code numbers.
I will take some pictures some pictures tomorrow but I believe the manual one is OBD2A also. The code on it is p2p-A1 or something or other. It's a Low number on the end. Due to it being a manual. But I thought the "A" directly after the p2p meant it was a OBD2A?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Seagull Management

Oh well i had a y7 and it was a 3 wire.
Y7s were all 3 wire.

But I thought the "A" directly after the p2p meant it was a OBD2A?
Nope, the "A" is the country code, A=America
Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

A means it's for the U.S. market.

Here's an example number for a 99-00 Civic EX manual ECU: 37820-P2P-A12

It seems that for OBD2a ECUs, the A is followed by a 0 or 3, whereas for OBD2b ECUs, the A is followed by a 1.

http://htarchive.org/showpost.php?p=...37&postcount=7
Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Op, you can't do a complete Auto to manual swap unless you either change the ECU to a manual ECU or you remove a resistor inside of the ecu. I vaguely remember the reason being it either disables the automatic transmission computer part and or it tells the car not to look for the car to be in park or neutral before cranking. If the ECU is an automatic ecu and it can't detect the car being in neutral or park, it won't even attempt to crank, let alone prime the fuel pump.

Well IIRC it depends because when you use the automatic ecu, at the very least, you have to jumper the wires that go to the shifter that tells the ecu if the car is in neutral or park. If the ecu doesn't detect the ECU in park or neutral, it will refuse to crank.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:13 AM
Seagull Management

^ It's got absolutely nothing to do with the ECU. The starting circuit is very simplistic and has literally nothing to do with the ECU at all. You can absolutely run an automatic ECU on a manual, but it will throw automatic transmission codes.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
A means it's for the U.S. market.

Here's an example number for a 99-00 Civic EX manual ECU: 37820-P2P-A12

It seems that for OBD2a ECUs, the A is followed by a 0 or 3, whereas for OBD2b ECUs, the A is followed by a 1.

http://htarchive.org/showpost.php?p=...37&postcount=7
Thanks very helpful!!

So I need to match up whatever my stock auto ecu had? A 0-3 or a 1?

EDIT: By actually reading your link I see that all the autos are higher numbers. Guess I am just gonna stick with one that says 96 as the year...since mine is a 96.

DOUBLE EDIT: This makes even more since now becuase the manual ecu I am trying is a A12. Which is for a 99-00 coupe. That miiiiggghhhhtttt be my problem.

Quick Reply: Auto to manual NO start!