Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto to Manual conversion? How much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to Manual conversion? How much?

How much is the conversion? I've done some research before but now I'm trying to help out a friend. He lives around the tri-state are near PA. Does anyone know any shops that do the conversion?
Old 08-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto to Manual conversion? How much? (AsnRefugee)

you cost is gonna depend on whether you want to get a brad new tranny from the dealer or get a used on...worth the investment though. i know a guy in bethlehem,PA who does conversions..he has a shop called Knuckle Busters ..PM me for the phone #
Old 08-12-2004, 09:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Auto to Manual conversion? How much? (motormanSR)

i bought a swap from local shop. then i was going to have them put in it. my car was auto. they wanted to charge me $1900 labor and ew little parts. i had most the conversion parts already. I then talked to my friend that had 2 hatches before and is always swappin motors. he took a motor out then took mine out and put another in along with conversion and few extra parts for $500 hell of a fukin deal if you ask me.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:58 AM

I paid 500 for the swap and auto to manual conversion
Old 08-12-2004, 09:59 AM

I was quoted 400 for labor, plus parts which was about another 1K which included new ACT clutch and flywheel.... this is southern california
Old 08-12-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Auto to Manual conversion? How much? (SD350z)

Wow you guys are really paying some low prices. I wonder how much it would be with a B-series swap. Anybody else know places around the philly area. in a 2 hr radius.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:16 PM

i paid 200 for a crashed parts car, in the end i got paid to do the swap after i sold the motor and the wheels
Old 08-12-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Auto to Manual conversion? How much? (Beatkidd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Beatkidd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I paid 500 for the swap and auto to manual conversion </TD></TR></TABLE>

im paying 600 for a swap and 500 for auto to manual conversion. spent around 300 in manual parts
Old 08-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just trade in with da same car but manual tranny.. much cheaper and easier
Old 08-12-2004, 01:21 PM

Default Re: (kihun_cha)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kihun_cha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just trade in with da same car but manual tranny.. much cheaper and easier</TD></TR></TABLE>
You my friend have no idea what your talking about. It doesnt matter if you own you car or are still making payment your always going to lose money trading it in. The manual conversion is extremely easy. If you know your way around a wrench, you can perform this swap. The hardest parts are piecing everything together and unbolting all the auto stuff. As for the price, before I decided to do the swap myself I was giving an estimate of $1450 from a shop in San Francisco. I pieced and did everything for about $700.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Re: (civic_tuner)

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what is needed for a 99 civic ex?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: (AsnRefugee)

-manual brake and clutch pedal
-clutch kit
-flywheel
-flywheel bolts
-clutch hardlines
-clutch master (with the reservoir) and slave cylinders
-Manual transmission
-manual ecu (unless your handy with a soldering iron then you can convert you auto one)
-shift linkage
-shifter and shift ****
-shift boot
-sheet metal (to cover the hole from the auto shifter)
-manual gauge cluster (no necessary though)
-5-speed transmission mount
-front right stopper (which is a mount that bolts to the front of the tranny)
These other things might come with the tranny you buy.
*manual starter
*manual speed sensor
Old 08-13-2004, 01:50 PM

Does anyone know who has all those parts for sale for a 92-95 civic d series?
Old 08-13-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Re: (p17oy13lud)

I suggest getting all the misc. stuff like the pedals, hardlines, master and slave cylinder from your local pick-n-pull. For the tranny search the classifieds, make sure you a good one since honda trannys tend to grind. Hey p17oy13lud, I see your from Reno. Have you done this conversion before or have someone that has, if not I'd be willing to help.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you need to drill for a 99ex?
Old 11-08-2004, 07:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_tuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The manual conversion is extremely easy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Extremely easy?

Don't lead people down the wrong path. An auto to manual conversion is anything but extremely easy. I hope no one took this advice seriously. Research the project thoroughly, and decide whether or not it is a project that you can handle.

I wouldn't reccommend anyone that hasn't performed an engine swap (by themselves), or anyone that hasn't witnessed an auto-to-manual conversion performed to try an attempt it.

It is not an oil change. It is taking a vehicle with an automatic transmission and making it a vehicle with a manual transmission. It's not as easy as just swapping trannies.

To answer the original question, I had a local board member do the swap with me. He has done lots of them, on Hondas and he had just did one the week before on an Eclipse (talk about a bitch )

Parts came to about $450
It took me a while to gather everything, but it's good to not try and rush it. My car's been fine since last summer (03') when the swap was performed.

Shops around here wouldn't even attempt it, others were charging nearly a $1500 (parts & labor)

Good luck.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_tuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-*manual speed sensor</TD></TR></TABLE>

my ek did not require this part
Old 11-08-2004, 08:10 PM

"I HAVE AN STD" and "CivicFerioSiR" do these on request. they're located in ny. one day job here. pm them if interested
Old 11-08-2004, 08:55 PM

Hey AsnRufugee... by the way.. does Asn mean asian?? anyways... I just did an auto to manual conversion on my 99 civic ex a week or two ago. I bought all my parts from a guy that owns a shop where he buys salvaged vehicles and fixes them up and sells them.. I got all the parts needed for the conversion except the ecu for $250. As for labor... I did it myself. I wouldn't say it was extremely easy but it's not hard either. It took me about two days and i was taking my time so i would put aside a weekend to do the work. These are all the parts I obtained for the conversion....

The whole pedal assembly (clutch, brake, accelerator)
Clutch master cylinder, reseviour
Hydraulic lines (hardlines and soft lines)
The bracket that holds the hydraulic lines to the body/firewall
The manual transmission itself of course (96-00)
(mine ended up coming off of a 96 dx i think)
Shifter, shift boot or that section of the center console unless you don't care about the boot, shift rod which is connected to the shifter, and shift extension rod.
Manual ecu
tranny bracket and mount
the stopper which is the mount on top
might want to cut off the connector from the harness for the switch on the clutch pedal and one for the reverse light switch cuz you are going to have to rewire these
clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel
flywheel bolts cuz they are different from the automatic bolts
the starter
a guage cluster off of a manual if you'd like but not necissary
the halfshafts/driveshafts

As for tools, all you need are just the basic set of sockets and wrenches... mainly 17mm, 14 mm, 12mm and maybe a breaker/cheater bar (or as we call it.. the jesus bar)

You will also need a drill and a cutting tool like a dremmel cuz you are gonna have to drill two holes and cut out a little section of metal.

Just some notes for the conversion.. on our year civics... the hole for the clutch master cylinder is still there so you don't have to cut a hold for that... it's just plugged up with rubber inserts.. just take em out. You will need to drill two holes to mount the shift linkage where the shifter comes up into the console. You will also need to cut out the metal cover that was put there to cover up the shift cable from your automatic because it gets in the way of the shift linkages. Other than that... all the mechanical aspects are not too difficult. Everything bolts in right up. Depending on what year you get the tranny off of.. the flywheel cover and/or the engine stiffener bracket may not fit but i just left mine off and haven't seen any problems. The speed sensor plugs right in with the old connector. You will have to pull the slider (selector) off of the connector.. from there.. you will need to run wires from the connector to the reverse light switch and the switch on the clutch pedal assembly which is the neutral safety switch... then you might want to plug up the hole where the metal from the shift cable cover was at so you won't have to deal with hot air coming up from your cat-converter... those were the main things i can think of... oh you will also have to run bridge a connection on the connector to put your car in permanent park and it will show up as park on your dash forever unless you disconnect the light and dunno if ecu is a factor but i still have my auto ecu... and the d4 light flashes all the time.. might not flash anymore if you have manual ecu... and also you will get engine check light and trouble codes if you leave auto ecu in... anyways... i'm tired of typing.. if you have any questions.. email me at sandfiretyper@aol.com for more info.. and by the way.... the guy i know still has another dx tranny i'm sure would sell for around what i got it but you'll need to pay for shipping... anyways... good luck with the conversion.... i think it was worth every penny, every drop of sweat, and every ounce of energy i put into it... and i will never go back!!!