Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto to Manual: Can't start car and other problems. Help me get back on the road!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to Manual: Can't start car and other problems. Help me get back on the road!

Hey guys. So today I finished the auto to manual swap. At least the swap portion of it. I guess now comes the troubleshooting phase. So here are my 3 problems:

1. My car won't start. The electronics work, as do all lights etc, but I can not start the engine. It doesn't even sound like its turning over. All I hear is a loud whining noise. I thought it might be something with the starter but its properly connected. Then I thought maybe its the distributor, but that seems properly hooked up. Could it be the fuel? I really do not know and maybe you guys can help me pin point and solve the problem.

2. The second problem is that the shifter itself feels extremely stiff. It takes quite the effort to put it through the gears, and in neutral it doesn't freely move from side to side. It feels like there is a center, and 2 gears on each side that you need to force the shifter into. Is this because the tranny has been sitting around for 6-8 months outside a car, or maybe the shift linkage is improperly hooked up? Have no clue on this as well.

3. Lastly, and this may not even be a problem, it may just be the way the clutch pedal works. But I notice the clutch pedal depresses really easily for about 5 cm, and after that you finally feel some pressure from the fluid. Is this how all clutch pedals are, or is it a flaw with mine, or a bad on my part?

Any help to the above is truly appreciated, especially since I'd like to finally get driving again in this nice weather. Thanks

Old 04-22-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Auto to Manual: Can't start car and other problems. Help me get back on the road! (Premium Dude)

bump
Old 04-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do a search and you will find that you need to wire up a clutch neutral safety switch or just jump wire together to get the stater to engage. Is this in an EG or EK ? Either way search for auto to manual swap and your questions will be answered.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: (Jmunk)

Guess I forgot to mention that I did do the wiring.

Might as well take the time to make sure I did it right. I wired the two thick black wires to the top sensor, and I soltered the a black wire with a black/green wire together so that the key will come out of the ignition. Didn't bother doing cruise control because I never use it. That should be all the wiring right? Or did I miss something?

Anyways, thanks for trying to help, but I did all neccessary research before attempting this swap.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Re: (Premium Dude)

*****UPDATE******

I managed to start the car. I just kept cranking it and it finally turned over and started. Only problem is that there is white smoke coming out the exhaust, and through my headers. Since it's coming out where my headers are, does that mean I need a new gasket, or is it just not tight enough?
And my idle is **** but thats just the IACV.